Hunt Platforms / Speed Hunts - General Discussion

Lol how I get involved in this one

2 Likes

@Ayalla I did like your platform concept on paper back in the day when you started to construct the first few platforms.
I do not like what the concept did to Circarpous and the high tier planets, people being people take a good thing and exploit it to a degree that it hurts their environment (look at earth lol).
Last time I checked my old base area on Circ was surrounded by platforms, Also footfall slides? Seriously?
I went to a single hunt from the slide builders after my break because I was curious, found the system to be abusive and hurting the planet so I never went to one again. No offense.

I wish that there would be an understanding that not every planet / region needs to be platformed and not everyone needs to have their personal platform system. It is convinient which is good and if people would build them sensibly there would not be any beef about them.
Build sensibly please, what if I took my thousands of plots and just put rings with reservations in every region of a planet, would you like that?

5 Likes

There’s a question missing. Why are they in the sky and not on the ground? Was that an artistic choice? Or to be able to better spot meteors? Or to see noobs fall to their death when they fail to grapple? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree…looking across boori. Holding hands watching the sunset with a mangoe shake…and there is a platform in the way…No action tonight…just killed the romance…haha Xaviien …Yes everyone relax was joking

4 Likes

I just want to add love your platforms.
Mainly because i don’t like to go hunting.
That said when i hunt i do play along with other hunters.

I just rather go from platform to platform than running around (find it gets tedious after 30min or so).

I have some one that hunts for me now and have to mention several times the platforms are public.
As my hunter keeps pointing out that he wants to make platforms to and a slide… he thinks he gets rich fast^^. (Won’t happen very soon because i still have to take over all of his plots :wink:).
And he will probably quit it a few weeks (For knowledge is great :rofl:).

So don’t worry he won’t be adding platforms to the sky.

Like I said love your hunting platforms.
As they are compact. Even the deco ones are great much more substance than a big room in the sky.

1 Like

I have a question, probably one that was answered a thousand times (sorry, don’t yell at me :smiley: ) how do the platforms work ? is the room built in one region, the terrace in another, the door is at the border and people entering new region triggers meteor spawn ?

1 Like

Yes the platforms are divided in two basic sections (waiting room and hunt platform). The idea is that if a large group enters a new region at once a meteor will trigger (more people bigger meteor)

So the first section is always in an other region. And as every one comes in this area and waits for the door (separates the two regions) before going to the next together.
A meteor should spawn.

1 Like

I was wondering. would building them like this ( close together where 3 or more regions meet) instead of scattered randomly cause issues ?

2 Likes

One of the main criticisms leveled towards platforms, which I mostly agree with, is that for people who aren’t good at traveling quickly it essentially gives means to never have to get any better at it. Not that players have to and of course some people have limitations, so I don’t want to expect it, but I can’t help feeling disappointed about that.

Grappling is the best way to make hunts more efficient, but it seems like people just want to get Oort easily instead. Again, not that I want to make anyone feel bad for that, we’re dealing with what the game is giving us and of course people will choose the path of least resistance. For me it’s just that traversing the terrain quickly is one of the funnest things to do, perfect to switch up the gameplay between combat.

To each their own I guess, but the act of waiting just isn’t fun or engaging gameplay to me. I don’t mind it too much since at least there’s the meteors to look forward to, but I definitely prefer a grapple hunt which is probably one reason I don’t play as much anymore since they’re getting rare nowadays. Even hunt leaders I know prefer grappling hunts run platform hunts instead simply because it brings in more people. Though the main issue for me is more that it’s all about T4 now which I just have no interest in. I hunt for fun much more than Oort and on T4 I’m often bored. That sounded like a poem, lol.

I want to encourage people to become better at traversing terrain. When I do lead hunts (which admittedly hasn’t been often enough, it’s more anxiety-inducing for me than I like to admit), I try my best to wait and let people regroup when close to regions to give everyone a chance to catch up. But when I led my first hunt, which was a while ago on Alcyon, I was a bit surprised, even shocked, at how much people struggled to keep up. And then waiting for everyone near the next region for over a minute makes it not much different from what I dislike about platform hunting in the first place.

It feels like interest in challenge declined over the past few months, which is why I think the devs need to improve T6 and T7 risk-reward ratio. Platforms may be a culprit or only a symptom, I don’t know.

That said, I do really appreciate the ingenuity and all the work Ayalla put in for the community, I just think it got a little out of hand after that.

It’s not in another region, it’s in the same region at the edge of the center area of the region. Hitting the center is what triggers the meteor spawn (much like uncovering the region for the atlas).

That wouldn’t work since the centers are much further apart, they are what triggers the spawns which is why the platforms are spread out the way they are.

5 Likes

Good to know^^ didn’t know that.

1 Like

Removed my previous as it didn’t make sense now^^

1 Like

@Pfiffel well, then it makes sense. no further questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

and in 24 hours I’ll be here alone looking like some wrong-picture-drawing-fool :smiley:

2 Likes

No you won’t I learned something because of it^^.

1 Like

If thought this was patrick from spongebob at a glance lol.

Back on topic
The platforms are great in my opinion. It kind of sucks that people view them as a problem given how useful they are. It all comes down to two things. Plot what you want to keep and maybe we need another reason to get back to hunting on the ground.

We’ve got to get out of this idea that people aren’t allowed to build what they want in an MMO sandbox game. Whether they built a sky platform or a tower from mantle to sky limit what’s the difference? A useless box house or a slide to get the community together and help everyone get more coin. It’s a functional build that promotes community engagement.

People are paying too much attention to the solutions instead of the actual problems. Slides were built because of the economy/guild buff cost. Hunting platforms were built because there is not enough reward in grapple hunting unless that’s something you truly find fun to do. Also because it’s hard to keep people grouped up to trigger high level meteors in a big group.

So how do we fix the issues that are causing these well thought out player made solutions? A question for another thread maybe.

4 Likes

This is another problem. Oort is second to none the most important resource in this game. And Oort is the only resource that is consumed at a constant rate, regardless of how much you play. Take a 2 week vacation? Better stack up on Oort before.

• Your hammers don’t rust while you’re away.
  • Your beacon doesn’t burn huge amounts of fuel, if any.
  • Your buildings don’t need repair.
  • Your coins aren’t affected by inflation.
  • Your plots continue to collect footfall.
  • You don’t have to pay rent for your shop.
  • You won’t loose your shop at a prime spot in a mall just because you don’t stock it for a few month.
  • Your farm doesn’t die if you don’t harvest it for a month.

Everything is permanent. Only your portals run out of fuel.

In my opinion this is a gigantic design flaw of this game. Because it forces everyone to hunt. And everything else can be done tomorrow. It makes hunts more important then everything.

Portals shouldn’t consume Oorts, Oort should only be used for opening or other activities should also require a constant upkeep or Oort should be a secondary reward for every playstyle.

2 Likes

Actually, you might. Depends which mall you’re in.

And nobody is forced to do any particular thing. People complain about trying to get more players into the economy, well if you only like mining or crafting and building, or whatever, surely you have some excess you can sell to fuel your portal. It costs from 312c per day to run a 2x1 portal. That’s… really not very much.

3 Likes

I agree. And i believe monster drops would be worth more to make hunting a viable option for those who enjoy hunting. And maybe we wouldnt have so many hunting platforms in the sky

2 Likes

I already said the ground is free and people can build whatever they want. Because something is allowable doesn’t necessarily make it right. All we are asking for is some basic consideration.

Circarpous is not a crowded tier 1 planet. There is literally free ground EVERYWHERE. There is no decent explanation as to why someone must build a “hunting blob in the sky” or a football slide that touches someone else’s base.

I assume it is because they lack consideration for others.

If you live in a city on a tier 1 planet, you would expect someone to move in next door. But people move to these tier 4+ for the views and esthetic qualities. As I said, there is literally free ground everywhere, what the point of putting a slide or blob where it touches someone else’s base?

Would it be ok to you if I plotted around these “blobs in the sky” and built floating dirt walls around them.; blocking the views? I mean they should have plotted around them right? the ground is free right?

As I said, I respect the function of these platforms. But can the builders show an ounce of consideration to the inhabitants?

Thank you for this Ayalla. I do not think it is your platforms that are the problem

3 Likes

Definately more meteors. @AeneaGames and my record was four at once.

On the last umbris T7 i couldnt easily farm gravel as i was dodging meteors every 10 mins.

There was one spot we came across that had 7 expired meteors within an 8 plot range.

Often doesnt need region changes, just random murderous exos wanting you dead when they feel like raining meteors on you :rofl:

3 Likes