Hunt Platforms / Speed Hunts - General Discussion

All,

If you did not already know, I am the one who figured out and deployed all of the original speed hunt platforms. Since there is some discussion about these in another thread, I thought I would open this thread instead of hijacking another. :slight_smile:

FAQ:

What are hunting platforms / speed hunts?

These are platforms in the sky on certain planets that assist in allowing hunts to spend more time hunting and less time running to the next meteor.

Why did you make the platforms?

1.) Because I really, really stunk at grappling and could not even remotely keep up with the hunts. That is the honest truth.
2.) Secondly, because it seemed like there could be a way to spend more time hunting and less time grappling around.
3.) I wanted them to be open to the entire community to be able to use on their hunts

Where are the platforms?

They are on most of the T5 and T6 planets with a few T4’s done as well. Not all planets are the ones I made. Mine are the ones that look like a compass…West is always Green (in honor of @Greenheart liking to go west), Yellow is East, Red is South, and Blue is North. Some are full sized, many are small sized because I did not have enough mats to build them, I was doing this alone for most of it, and wanted them up and available for all as soon as possible.

Other planets have some really creative platform builds - those who are significantly more artistic then me - like the drones, and balloons, and others.

If you want to create your own, I would recommend building them on a planet that does not already have them first.

Does everyone love these awesome platforms?

Nope. :slight_smile: For a variety of reasons…some just like the regular way of hunting, you get a LOT more road runner feathers the normal way. To each their own. It is no offense to me at all if you don’t use or don’t like them - completely your choice.

Why the locks?

Locks are on doors on some of the series because folks or newer ones don’t respect waiting for everyone to be there, or waiting for the hunt leader to say “go”. This is key to the meteor mechanic working. Folks need to be in the same area and break the region plane relatively together.

Why multiple set-ups on the same planet?

This should only be the case on one planet, that I know of - Circapous. Short answer is the other person wanted their own and to have full control. :slight_smile:

Where do I get the tokens?

1.) At Speed Hunts in Alder (go through Underminer / Farm School)
2.) in Legendville - top of the main umbris area
3.) Pick them up on a platform if you are already on a hunt
4.) Make your own bookmarks as you are on a hunt - make sure to do this on the side BEFORE you exit the door

Why do the tokens cost money at all?

Only to prevent trolls.

Why do I have one near my build?

I have seen mentioned that some are near, too near, existing builds. That was never intentional on any that I built. But I feel your pain…some built their platforms even touching mine, lol! But, if you reach out to me either in-game or pm here and let me know where, I will work on moving it. It’s better for them to be away from you anyway. :slight_smile:

Dude, you must be rich from all of the footfall!

Nope. :slight_smile: Some of the platforms made less than 100 coin in two months or more. It costs 100 coin to port to it…not the way to increase one’s wallet. The popular runs make more and I will gladly add a spot for a regular guild’s hunt leader(s) to put their own plot(s) to generate the footfall to pay for the portals of a hunt. This has been done a few times already and I am definitely open to expanding this principle…again, these were built for the community, never a get rich scheme for me.

Why are the platforms built up so high?

1.) Being up high allows you the least amount of interrupted space/sky to see the incoming meteor
- even still some terrain on the T6’s are actually up this high…think pancake mountains

2.) Safest / No MoB’s usually except on some rare ones.
- Remember the platforms were not initially enclosed. I had faith all would just behave and follow the hunt leader. LOL Additionally, in my original concept I was going to make a platform in every single region…maybe even put portals between them all. Then, someone could make a quick atlas safely.

3.) The same level for all also allows consistency. All of my platforms are built at the exact same level across all planets.

4.) Up high also allows regular ground hunts to see where the next region line is.

5.) So all could still build in the reserved space if you needed to port to the next one
- this is why not the top plot - but could be done building at top of any plot

6.) Allows you the most time to correct your mistake of not having a grapple selected after jumping off

7.) Falling is fun! :slight_smile:

Why are they EVERYWHERE? Can’t I get a clear view on this planet?

There are generally 50 regions on each planet. Except for Galan with 33 platforms all of the other planets have 13-15 platforms since this is usually enough to satisfy a 2+ hour hunt. That leaves roughly 35 regions or 70% of the planet that is free and open for all to enjoy the views platform free. Yes, you can see them from far away…but they are not everywhere. There should still be ample planet to build where there isn’t a single platform in sight! :slight_smile: And in fact, on most of the planets the regions where the platforms are built are contiguous, all together, so just run a little away from them and they won’t be in sight for miles and miles and miles.

So if you have any comments or critiques I am open for either. I am glad some enjoy them and am fine some don’t…this is a sandbox after all…and a wonderful one at that!

Thanks all,

Ayalla / Underminer / Speed Hunter

P.S. Just a quick note to add that I have nothing at all to do with the slides; saying this because they often get mentioned together.

P.P.S. Just wanted to thank all of the great hunt leaders taking the time to lead hunts for the community regardless of using the platforms or not! I won’t mention you all by name, but you most definitely know who you are - and thanks so very much! :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Very concise and clear on why they exist. I, personally, like that they provide an easier option for those of us that can’t grapple for love nor money! Heck, sometimes I can’t even grapple the ground! Lol. But, as it happens, from a personal viewpoint, I do not care what anyone builds, be it in the sky or on my doorstep. As long as I can get in and out of my build - am happy. After all, this game was named Boundless. :+1:

5 Likes

Good explanation. Obviously the ground is free and people are allowed to build what they want, however, Circarp seems to have gobs and gobs and gobs of them, some placed with no regard to the bases below. One of the slides even sits right next to a huge base that has been there for months. Seems highly inconsiderate to me and many silent others.

As much as some of us dislike the considerable downgrade to our views, the ground is free as I stated above. But is it too much to ask that they be placed with respect to those that use the planet as a home?

5 Likes

I don’t mind the platform hunts, sometimes it’s nice to sit back relax and just go with the flow. I do feel they take away some of the fun and challenge of hunting. But that’s how I feel. Similar to speed hammers for miners. Absolutely efficiency at it’s best! On the other side I can’t say enough of how I love the ground/grapple hunts. My preferred method of hunting! It’s the root of my hunting. Learning to keep up with with super grapples with non forged titanium garbage was a real challenge and I feel it netted me the skills I’m told I have now. One of my favorite things in the game now is acting like Spiderman and traversing regions/planets while flying thru the air. The level of satisfaction and accomplishment you get swinging across a giant lava lake is amazing. I can’t recommend enough how fun grapple hunting can be. Just try not to get stressed if your behind. Take your time plan your shots like a chess game. Always a few moves ahead🙃

5 Likes

I respect the platforms and their function but builders are part of the game as well.

Mutual respect is needed.

Flying saucers that prevent inhabitants from expanding their homes doesn’t seem right.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of super grapples either. I really enjoy the clumsy ground hunts. They’re more fun and have time to type out silly little comments when mistakes or getting stuck under a tree. where as the speed hunts are, definitely speedy. If you’re concerned on time and your oort yield that’s definitely the way to go.

2 Likes

We made more oort on a very small T4 running/grappling hunt last night in 60 minutes than larger groups do on platform hunts in 90 minutes.

I actually find the benefit of platform hunting is that it’s more chill, as you get a few minutes breather while waiting for the next meteor to spawn. We have small building contests, and other mini-games, and sometimes talk rubbish about platforms themselves (@superman101) in the downtime.

Not sure if the devs have messed with the meteor spawn algorithm, but old school hunting actually seemed to be more “efficient”. Can’t say if it’s always been this way, as I only started hunting after platforms became a thing. It may have also been an outlier, due to being on an almost entirely unused exo.

2 Likes

Ayalla! Ayalla! Ayalla! Three cheers from Bob!

1 Like

Same tier planet? Just out of curiosity

1 Like

In my opinion those hunt platforms can consider as his house,
so i really don’t feel anything wrong to build those.
Maybe you don’t like his design, but what he is doing is also the builder’s thing.
He focus more on functional part. A building with simple design but functional, i think it still part of the builder concept you mention. He get that plot first before you, its how the game system work.

7 Likes

Yep.
Delta Cancret Sasquatch hunts vs Aussie Hunters on our temporary T4.
Squach normally hits ~200 oort after 90 minutes, and we hit 200 last night a little after 60 minutes. I wouldn’t say it’s a huge difference, but that’s the point, I’m fairly certain speed hunts aren’t that much more efficient. Not enough data to properly compare, but we’re hunting there every night until it disappears, so should be able to gather more info.

1 Like

Oh ok was wondering. Thank you. I’ve seen the STEEP difference between circa platform hunts and t6 platform and ground hunts so wasn’t sure.

1 Like

With the way plots work now, had the buffer been intact he wouldn’t have been able to though. At least thats how I understood it was supposed to work now so people couldn’t build right on someone anymore unless it was agreed on and the buffer was dropped.

1 Like

Wonder if exo worlds have a different loot drop rate sense a smaller world. Or a better meteor spawn rate

2 Likes

You can not accurately compare the results of speed hunting vs classical hunting, when you changed the basic variables, by going on an Exo world, and an unused Exo.

I would like to see the results of the same test done on the same world as the speed hunt platforms.

.>> No Control, No Quantification! <<

1 Like

Yes, definitely a better meteor spawn rate, as the planet has nothing to offer anyone, so nobody had triggered any meteors in most regions prior to us running through.

@Trundamere I was sharing an interesting observation, not the conclusion of a peer reviewed study mate. It’s a game, chill out.

1 Like

You assume I am upset for some reason, Fascinating.

1 Like

Not upset, just suggesting you calm down.

isn’t a very chill way of making a point :wink:

I do apologise that the words I’ve types don’t meet your expectations, but I believe your expectations are more likely to lower than me using spreadsheets to record the results of hunting to satisfy your need for accurate information.

1 Like

Thunderfoot’s words, not mine, I just stand by it. its accurate.

I don’t really have expectations from anyone other then myself, It is not a personal attack, I am just stating that if accurate results are to be had, basic variables need to be kept the same. I tend to word things extremely bluntly at times.

4 Likes

I’ve done my fair share of hunting. The results I’ve formulated is planet level doesn’t matter. Meteor level matters to an extent, and time to kill said meteor matters the most. PURE days we came home with 250-300 in 1.5 hours. And we always had a group of pipe hitters smoking 5-6 level meteors in 5 mins. A group of half a dozen people smoking level 2 meteors in 3-4 mins yielded the same results, also a group of a dozen pipe hitters smoking 3s and 4s yield the same result.
Getting a large group of 25-30 people where 6-10 are pipe hitters, 5 afk and 15 or so are just getting good/starting out takes about 8-10 mins a meteor so naturally the oort count is smaller. These are just my observations as an OG. Do with it what you will.

9 Likes