Hunting: ideas for improvement

I think maybe 10-15 more skills points per page would help with fighting roles too. I can never seem to get the rage or focus epics because I want points elsewhere. So I think that is limiting fighting too.

2 Likes

We need melee. I really want to use a really long handled sword, or something :crossed_swords:

(It’d be cool if we were able to refine animal parts into a custom hunter’s outfit. colorful hide armor?)

3 Likes

Put it in the other thread but think it belongs in this one. What about a weaponized grapple like scorpion from mortal combat, a pierce and pull weapon or it could be more like a rope dart in kungfu where it’s all piercing damage with a sharp tip

1 Like

With mine-able oort stone coming, I would love to see meteorites providing its own unique drops only like ichor, seeds for the top tier decorative plant (already here) and whatever devs bring in future. oort stones could still be there (although maybe less than now). Remove all the ores, gems, tech and fossil from the drop list there.

The same for monsters - if there were 3-4 different species unique for meteorites, that would be great. I would love this going into such direction and also to turn the whole event into fighting 2-3 monsters in total (for lvl 1 meteorite) to let’s say 10-12 (for level 6, where a few dozen players can be involved). For this to happen I would want the meteorite monsters to be on the larger side of things, requiring a few minutes of fighting to defeat each one of them. For a single player or small group of 2-4, only single large monster would spawn at any time, while between 2 and 4 could spawn in a wave for larger groups when higher tier meteorites spawn.

These meteorite-unique monsters should have certain behaviors and attack/defence stats and abilities that require players to come up with different tactics to defeat them.
(Maybe some of them could call to be immobilized/grounded first (if their speed or flying ability made it too difficult to kill them); maybe some would have one really deadly type of attack that would call for cutting off a certain part of creature’s body to disable that attack and thus make the monster easier to finish then).

I would also love this to go along with lowering meteorite spawning rate to make it more special (really making each one of them an event).

With unique drops and unique monsters (with their own unique drops by the way) and fast mass killing of easy mobs replaced by more tactical battles with larger and more behavior-diverse creatures, I believe meteorite hunting could become a really engaging and special thing.

The creatures we know now (plus planned hunter and those rock eating warms etc), could become ambient-only (spawning across worlds naturally for exploring and hunting players). At the moment, apart from meteorite hunting, the creatures are really only fought as means of defending when players build, explore, mine etc (maybe apart from road-runners who can be hunted for their feathers). When someone want a lot of creatures drops, you go for a meteorite hunt rather than go around a planet and hunt. But even if you are not interested in meteorites, they fall down too often to easily ignore them.

If all currently known creature are removed from meteorites, and with meteorites made spawning less often, normal hunting would become a thing (well, to get their drops like meat, bones, blood, eyes and trophies, players will have to go out to actually hunt them as they spawn on planets). That would make normal hunting an activity on its own, just like mining or gathering.

At this moment meteorite hunting covers portal fuels, creatures drops, and some mining as well. It makes them provide too much and cover a few different activities in one go.

It would be good, in my opinion, to make meteorites less common and providing its unique rewards only, while ores and other resources to be left for miners and creatures drops to be acquirable through hunting ambient monsters rather than meteorites.

3 Likes

Or maybe the corruption happens if no one defeats the meteor? Then you have a high monster activity area until it despawns. Add oort drops for meteor monsters and you have a place for casual hunting without the intensity of a meteor.

1 Like

Any of you fellas wanna burn one and chase chickens on shedu later?
Nb4 flag
Edit: Or that new burn exo. Lol.

Later when?

I dunno yet. Depends on where squatch is hunting… I don’t wanna go to delta again, lol