I believe

Have you seen the full features page? Lots of “soons” all around. Some we have, though.
Also at least one that we don’t have that isn’t marked as coming soon.

3 Likes

Also, that original portal design is amazing, so sad that current gen can’t handle it

1 Like

I think I did at some point after getting the game…

Imagine how awesome it would be to have all those creatures. :disappointed: Huh. And some of the armour bits they had. So many hopes and dreams for this game.
But my confidence in seeing any of it is dwindling.

4 Likes

Do you have a source for this? Feels like it’s just getting started. It’s been 3 and a half months since the last BG3 update and as far as I can tell the next patch is only really adding one new class and some cinematic fixes to the game. Still can’t proceed through the underdark area or get above level 4 right? I think it’s got multiple years left to go before a release at the current pace.

Since the part of the Turbulenz team that was working on BG3 appears to have been moved to become a new Larian studio separate from Boundless, I don’t think any of this is relevant.

That point aside, it looks like Larian said that BG3 will be in early access for at least a full year.

1 Like

The creation of a new studio doesn’t necessarily mean the contractual work has ended, does it? And I didn’t see any messages of Turbulenz employees leaving to join said studio outside of something someone posted about Leah joining them?

I’m sticking with my multi-year assessment. If I’ve learned anything from backing EA games it’s that date goals are often very wrong :joy:

In this article, summarizing part of the stream this was announced in:

The new team consists of long-running developer Turbulenz. Led by CEO James Austin, the team was founded in 2009 by former EA and Criterion staff, and is best known for creating HTML5 game engine and recently working on Boundless with Wonderstruck Games.

Speaking on the stream, Austin said: “We started out with 10 people supporting Baldur’s Gate, it’s doubled since then, and most recently we’ve expanded our animation expertise, bringing people in from the movie industry. People who have worked on Star Wars, The Avengers, Read Player One and Lord of the rings.” He added: “The plan is to double the team that we have in Guildford.”

They seem to be saying that all of Turbulenz is now Larian Guildford, which means that either Boundless is under Larian now, or some other company change will split it off, possibly the Wonderstruck team won’t be included in the move? Impossible to say for sure, but James seems to be saying that Boundless will be unaffected by the change.

It’s not done until it’s done!

3 Likes

Interesting. Looks like as of Jan 9, 2020 they had 17 employees (page 6, line 3).

So if they went from 10 to 20 working on BG3 then that would explain the slow updates to Boundless. And if they want to go from 20 to 40 for Larian…at the very least it will potentially lower the number of applicants to work on Boundless stuff to make up for the folks moving to the Larian studio.

I think saying Larian has created a new studio in the UK and that being independent of everything Boundless shouldn’t be read as though Boundless will be unaffected. Looks like it’s very much going to be affected. Especially if James is joining the Larian team. :pensive:

1 Like

This is not the reason for private servers. It is a clear additional benefit (i’ve talked about even trying to get portals to private servers like we have for sovern/creative) but not the reason WHY it happened right now or made sense to do earlier than other things on the “list.”

4 Likes

Are you able to discuss what that reason behind the timing is? I’m pretty happy to have a way to make world-builder configs playable so I’m not upset. Just curious about the prioritization strategy in general as it’s historically made me scratch my head a bit.

1 Like

This isn’t probably one of the areas I have to keep quiet on, but honestly I really can’t speak to all the details on why this was next because I just don’t know. Sometimes their prioritization strategy feels like some magick seance or scarry Forge RNG process. (Of course, I’m joking there and they take the decisions they make seriously and what is next with lots of discussion - I can attest to that because of all the feature enhancements I have tried to get pushed and the data I get back on that. But, it is fun to throw a snowball at the Devs from time to time since they really did give us forge RNG and baby cuttles that will chase you to the end of the earth and time).

Now this is my own words in how I explain it and not an official exact out of the King Horse’s mouth - James. But, one thing I believe I can share was that once Boundless went down the path towards offering a “rented server” they started to fall out of line with the “standard” that Steam has about people being able to run their own servers - meaning a “local one - non rented.” Due to that, they needed to get back in alignment with that standard. All other games in Steam that offer “servers people can have,” have local options.

Added to that, I assume since they had just finished Sovereign, from a Dev perspective it made sense to stay on that path and get the local stuff done. James really likes to touch an area once and not have to go back to it over and over especially since he knows how that can affect us all in game. This is why we see themes and not little things here and there added… it is all “time/value add/ and how it affects other game systems” decision it seems.

7 Likes

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment lol.

No idea what they are doing or timescales, just that it seems that the work there is the priority especially with leah being officially declared larian staff

1 Like

Leah did post something on twitter about now working for larian…I think.

I have kinda put the game on the back burner now seeing as updates ar sooooo painfully slow

1 Like

I think overall taking the focus of my free gaming time away from Just this one game was probably a good idea for now.

At least that way no matter the outcome I’m happy.

If it goes well and lots of stuff comes in o have a new exciting set of content to play

If it doesn’t I’m not totally invested in it 100% and can play one of 3 other games just as happily

1 Like

Thank you sir! Makes total sense.

Same…was maybe hoping to get a local world going with some friends b/c Valheim sorta rekindled the building spark for us but I don’t want to really reinvest in something if the next update won’t be until like December or something and if even then it’s some obscure like background change instead of titans or wearables or something.

It’s not just Leah unfortunately… Minyi, Sam and Steph have all updated twitter profiles to say that they now work for Larian too.

I don’t know about the rest of the core team (Blake, Fooks, Jim, VDragon, MichaelB, Luca et al) involved in Boundless though.

4 Likes

Yeah a Boundless Valheim group server would be awesome lol…

1 Like

Well that is majorly telling. Losing Minyi and Steph is extremely disappointing. This is likely me done with Boundless for pretty much good now :frowning: .

1 Like

This is a lot of speculation. Sure would be nice if @james gave us some concrete information to help understand the situation…