What is going on?

But it looks that they now have joined Larian.
That’s something different I think.

1 Like

I am normally not one to jump onto the doom and gloom train, as I tend to prefer to try to have a positive outlook on things, but after reading the following statement, It is a little hard not to.

“Now it’s come in-house. Although we’re yet to learn the details of the deal, and whether Larian has bought the studio and under what terms.”

I have seen projects become abandoned or otherwise destoryed because the parent company deems that project useless to them in terms of profit or whatever motivates the parent company.

So this makes me more then a little concerned at this point if Larian now owns Turbulenz or not.

Because someone who dresses up in plate armor while speaking to James, it doesn’t really give me a friendly Impression, Is hard for me to tell if that is just Cosplay, or someone who has that large of Ego, or a combination of both, if that person happens to be James’ new boss and they have that large of an Ego, then that is a little unsettling for me personally. But I am sure I am reading too much into that aspect.

I hope the fact that the next update to the game, which gives alot of control to the players to host their own stuff, is not a precursor to possible ditching/abandonment, and that it is just a happy little accident that this news and Leah lemoncakes’ tweet just happens to come around the time of the next update.

6 Likes

I asked directly earlier this year in a post addressing @james and as seen in the link they have no plans on shutting down the public universe or stop development of the game. I really think if they thought that it was going to be shutdown then they would tell us.

Because of his response below I do not think this is the case and you are worry about nothing. But I could be wrong, but I think it is doubtful.

3 Likes

This was valid when they were running the show. This kind of things always lead to organizational changes. New bosses have new views and ideas.

I think the best thing to do is to patiently wait for an official statement. Company mergers and purchase details usually cannot be disclosed to the public right away.

Regards,

7 Likes

That was said while James was still running the show. He now very well could have a stakeholder or director to answer to who could have a very different view on keeping this game in development.

The ever increasing gaps in development updates or exos does indicate they are busy doing other things, just hope the love for the game is enough to keep it on as a personal passion of the devs.

1 Like

Larian has created a new studio in the UK but this is independent of everything Boundless.

There should be a new Boundless testing update next week, and we’re close to being able to publish it Live for everyone.

58 Likes

Boundless need OUR attention. The universe is ultimately ours to populate and make alive.
As long as it exists on servers let’s not worry and make it what we want it to be.
Whether updates happen every month or every quarter doesn’t matter as much as the game is in pretty advanced stage already and provides environment to live in and creatively shape for all current players and a lot of new ones (should they join).

10 Likes

I think regardless of what this may or may not imply from the dev perspective, we just keep doing what we are doing until we cannot do it any longer. We can secure and keep this community alive for as long as we are allowed to. Don’t drive yourself mad worrying about what may or may not happen, let’s just keep going.

17 Likes

thank you!

i think most are exaggerating and well the dev team is small and they have more projects going
doesn’t mean its the end of boundless…as long as there’s no closure message from the devs there’s nothing to worry about, not even the rumors that gets spread mostly.

4 Likes

So, this article says the new studio has 10 employees and plans to double that. Looking at Turbulenz’ financial records from last year (2020 filing for 2019 taxes), they had an average of 16 employees during that year. Since they also said that they have recently dramatically expanded the BG3 part of the studio, I think it’s safe to estimate that more than 6 employees are staying to continue working under Wonderstruck or whatever happens with the company structures that work on Boundless.

The only concerns I would have would be James’ focus and possibly continued supplemental revenue flows (if they were working on side projects, they likely needed the revenue), but I don’t think there is enough information to speculate on that.

Anyway, all of that aside… Like others are saying, we have what we have, and we have it until it’s gone. These giants may wake up and leave us, or they may continue dreaming up more ways for us to enjoy Boundless, but it’s not over until it’s over.

5 Likes

i mean, if you ask me, they’re realise what a sleeper they have here, and push for expansion and soft publicity, which will mean more servers are needed to house all the amazing new people. :+1::trophy::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the update, James.

4 Likes

Very wise words, Beth. Having lost my father in September, and the sad news of Aeneas’s passing, the finite nature of everything has given me a sense of perspective that I think I lacked and I’m just going to enjoy this, and life in general, as much as possible until either it or I cease to exist.

6 Likes

there has been this ‘‘they are going to shut it all down any minute’’ panic since I can remember. (2 years, several big updates ago)
worst case scenario: we are getting a working SP/ local, so we ain’t gonna be left boundless-less entirely.
more optimistic view: the game is getting another one of the promised features, and we know that the studio isn’t at the mercy of us buying GC and cubits.
as said before, let’s try to have fun with what we got

14 Likes

Whew… thank god the game continues. There really no other game I play anymore. And definitely no other game to Match my boundless addiction.:partying_face::+1:

4 Likes

Great advice from the Queen of Brown Town. :smiley:

1 Like

Will to live +100 :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Go devs go! For all the poor Tubios waiting!

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your mum. xx

5 Likes

Thank you, and my condolences on your dad too!!

4 Likes

May I ask, will the update include machines and furniture? :smiley: @james