Leaving Boundless

This warrants a cool down… if you can’t discuss topics in a civil manner, please refrain from commenting.

Sorry Lunai, your post will open back up in an hour!

This topic was automatically opened after 54 minutes.

They had some annoying bugs, like the auto-hammer bug. But since that got fixed I don’t think I know many games with that few bugs as Boundless.

1 Like

Fair well and im waiting on your return :wink:.
(If I dont change my mind and leave :wink:)

[not edit the original text above but i might have written it wrong anyway good bye and you will be missed :wink:]

I understand what @Dhusk is saying about communication, and I also understand what @Rydralain is saying about empty communication.

I’m not saying there has been no communication because I am not on here enough to know. But hypothetically, would empty communication be better than no communication?

That is a fair question. But, on the flip side, what is the cause? I have no idea.

Remember, everybody here wants the same thing: For Boundless to grow and prosper. Our goals are more alike than they are different. So be nice to each other

3 Likes

I came to Boundless after the previous game I had been playing for years suddenly shut up shop, that game also had a ton of regular updates and a big team, but things in the company changed around and the team got smaller but “they still had big plans” and “they had no plans to shut down”, the updates got slower and slower and communication became less and less until only the community managers spoke to the players, then we were left waiting nearly two years for the next big update, we were shown occasional photos and snippets of the update and still told all along “we have no plans to shut down”.
All along we were told the developers were busy working behind the scenes, the in game store was kept open and of course “we have no plans to shut down”. Then after a couple of years waiting on the update and less and less communication except from rapidly changing mods a message appears.

Thank you all for your years of loyalty bla bla bla we are no longer etc etc

And that was it game was gone, Also a mmo with a larger playerbase than boundless could ever wish for. They kept accepting peoples money right up until the last couple days.

I cant say for definite thats whats happening here but I have to say this is all feeling a bit deja vu to me.

7 Likes

@Nevioni I’ve seen similar. When City of Heroes shut down, it was a surprise to everyone, especially since it had such a big community.
Or when Star Wars Galaxies shut down as well.

But on the flip side, I can give an example of a game that was made by a small company that is still being played today. That game is Anarchy Online (debuted June 27th, 2001).

3 Likes

Very true and as I said I could be completely wrong, its just all the little things thats all feeling so familiar and giving me a sinking feeling in my gut.

With any luck I am wrong and Boundless keeps going for years to come, but until I know for sure iv let my beacons expire and will only be checking on the forums. This game is too much of a time sink to play without assurance its gonna last a while.

3 Likes

I’ve seen your scenario of trailing off and eventual support ending, I’ve seen a game suddenly cut off the day after announcing an update, I’ve seen trailing off and then handing off server fees to the players so the game can live forever.
What I have not seen is a pattern that lets me predict the end of a game service.

The lesson I learned from it is this -
There is no consistent way to tell when a thing will end. Enjoy what you have, when you have it. There is little use in living in fear of the end.

1 Like

Absolutely nobody can know for sure whats going on behind closed doors, all you can do is trust your gut, mine unfortunately is screaming warning signs. As I said with any luck Im way off base and Ill be stuck into building something new before long.

2 Likes

Except they did, for a long time. And now they don’t.

You can be apologetic and make excuses for them, and that’s fine. It is your prerogative. There is a reason a lot of people who backed the game and/or have played since release have gone in to idle mode, quit playing all together, or hate play because they enjoy the game that exists but are desperate for all the functions that have been slated for the game to actually be realized.

This games community has always evolved the same way as older players quit and newer players become the older players. The same defenses and arguments occur a few times every year since release.

You’re not wrong that they don’t have to communicate, but that is not the relationship and community that they created when the game was released and for a year or two after. There are plenty of MMO’s out there that have had developers hands on with the community and the best ones, imo, gave weekly updates even if nothing was going on. They talked about player events to foster community relations and keep things active within the community in between content drops because those PR teams understood, even in the early 00’s, that part of a successful game is community engagement.

It has long been known however that Boundless itself was never the marketed goal for them. The engine they created is/was always their pride and joy and what they have used to generate revenue. That said, this is why we have the game we do and why the community cycles the way it does. It is more than fine for people to be happy with and content with what the game offers right now. The majority who are discontent I would wager are those who expected far more to be done and added to the game, simply based on what was said for multiple years and what was communicated at various times in the years since release. Making excuses like "they don’t have to communicate at all’ is silly given that’s now how they created their hype and initial growth of the game. By abandoning those avenues, it’s obvious over the last 1-2 years, the impact that has had on the community.

6 Likes

I have to agree with you on this. The launch day trailer is what caused me to want to play the game. But I feel somehow cheated that the footage they used was from EA. Those places in the trailer no longer existed, as well as the character models being quite different.
Still I played the game, waiting to see what came.
I want to stick with the game, but after nearly two years, I’m losing interest.
Doesn’t help that events have stopped happening. We didn’t have a spring gleambow event like we did a year ago, which makes me wonder if there will be one in the fall. Or the Hallowoort, or eventually Oortmas?

2 Likes

I don’t get why people have to announce their every emotion regarding this game.
It’s a great game and I love it but if you don’t, just don’t ■■■■■■■ play it, lol. It’s a game… and generally the folks who like to tell everyone their gaming habits have already stopped playing and the forum post is drama kindling and fishing for sympathy. Like, you don’t have to break up with the community, lol. New players come and old players go. If you dislike the game enough not to play it - cool. You’re one of millions and I don’t care. If you dislike the game enough to try and toxify some forums - you have a bit of extra time that would be better spent finding a game that meets your expectations… and also, I still don’t care. No one here does. It doesn’t change anything and this same wave of drama will be reopened in half a year or so.
Quit quietly like a normal person.

Edit to add that this wasn’t directly solely at you @Lunai2

11 Likes

i would hazard a guess that the 3 national lockdowns in the UK over the past year, alongside doing content for Baldur’s Gate 3 has set things back a bit, especially when it requires resources they cannot use from home such as ps4 dev kits.

with everything hopefully getting back to normal , things will pick up again.

3 Likes

There’s an entire topic for ‘what turns you off playing boundless’. Post it there.
Intentionally creating drama is not the same as expressing oneself.

6 Likes

The thing is you don’t have to get it, the same way no one has to get you, not everyone feels the same about everything. Also no one has to do what you would do since it’s more of a personal preference than anything else. And the op is descriptive, not some rumour destined to be toxic. If events that happen are deemed to be somehow toxic on their own, then they probably should change.

3 Likes

Two hella clever replies. Gotta hand it to the both of you… I just wasn’t prepared for the foolproof “you’re not the boss of me” rebuttal.
My opinions have changed because of your well thought-out arguments.
:joy:

1 Like

It’s just the piling on. It’s unnecessary and it’s creating the appearance that the sky is falling. Nobody is saying you can’t express your feelings, but have some respect for the community if you ever have loved the game.

There’s a difference between informing everyone you’re leaving, especially if people rely on you, and posting to add to drama as a way to blow off steam.

3 Likes

Just remember that this goes both ways, and also try not to get into an infinite loop, folks.

4 Likes

Suppression of speech includes you arguing against my distaste for unnecessary theatrics, homie…

3 Likes