Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

I assume it will be whenever that is resolved.

So maybe one day. Maybe never. :woman_shrugging:

Although I would like to add that it seems a bit weird to me that we would want people to come on this thread to ask about when the update comes and complain about the lack of communication from the dev team. It is just burying the info on the update and the actual testing that was done by the players on the testing server. I do not think it looks like better PR for the game if the Testing thread is full of people asking for info and, in fact, just any communication whatsover. just my opinion anyway.

7 Likes

Would standalone update Hope/Doom threads be acceptable for keeping this stuff in?

4 Likes

I think that all we need is a confirmation the update is coming eventually and they are all still developing the game

3 Likes

I really liked the idea that was suggested by someone on one of the threads of there being a pinned devs-only thread where they could just update us on what is going on with the game and progress or lack of progress.

7 Likes

I would assume that if a decision had been made to cancel an update or stop developing the game across the board that an official announcement would be made. While communication might be lacking as to our perceived delay they aren’t the type of people that wouldn’t communicate if the game was closed down on their side – especially since we saw that James was in the forum today.

Whatever the reason it obviously is a valid reason - we just don’t know it. They aren’t like holding off on the update just to try to make people mad.

9 Likes

How frequently do you want to be told this?

March 14:

Feb 28

Feb 20:
(Leaving in the “next week” bit on purpose here)

I guess it’s been another month, so we’re due for another “update is still coming” post, but complaints about no updates start within days (or hours) of an update. I think that the only thing that would actually help is release.

5 Likes

Meh see I don’t actually care I’m just talking for what I’ve seen

1 Like

I would like to know how the new local universe feature will be added.

• Will it be a DLC add-on or just available via the menu, once the update hits?
  • Will there be a fee to use the feature?
  • Will there be an ability/fee to convert/upload a planet that was created locally into a Known or Sovereign planet?
  • Will it be hosted via Boundless/Wonderstuck servers, or will people use/rent their own?
  • If the owner goes offline, will everyone else be booted/lose access while they are offline? (This happens with some similar games)
  • Will it be more like co-op gameplay where you need an invite/access code to join a server?
  • Will there be a new menu page added so people can view/select/join created worlds (ie: like Creativerse, Roblox, Terraria, etc)?
  • Or will it be 100% offline, like a single-player game?
12 Likes

I really hope they have a new tutorial for the local universe. No disrespect but the one they have now is absolutely horrible. In my opinion having a new one is a must in order to retain new players in the local universe.

• Will it be a DLC add-on or just available via the menu, once the update hits?

• Will there be a fee to use the feature?

• No - it’s included as part of the base game.
  • Will there be an ability/fee to convert/upload a planet that was created locally into a Known or Sovereign planet?

• I doubt it as this could potentially be abused
  • Will it be hosted via Boundless/Wonderstuck servers, or will people use/rent their own?

• People can either host it on their own machines or use/rent server infrastructure to run their own universe. Wonderstruck will only be hosting the main MMO universe.
  • If the owner goes offline, will everyone else be booted/lose access while they are offline? (This happens with some similar games)

• On a local universe if the owner/operator goes offline, the server will no longer be available. If hosted on a separate server, it would obviously remain online whilst the server is online.
  • Will it be more like co-op gameplay where you need an invite/access code to join a server?

• Universes can be set to be visible to others so that they will appear in the “Shared Universes” tab - Universe access can be password protected so only those with the required password can join.
  • Will there be a new menu page added so people can view/select/join created worlds (ie: like Creativerse, Roblox, Terraria, etc)?

• See above image
  • Or will it be 100% offline, like a single-player game?

• See above answers
15 Likes

That description could use some creative editing. It shouldn’t jump between both meanings of the word “world” like that. It’s confusing and too meta. Like Inception.

4 Likes

That’s the kind of thing you sit and rewrite for a day before going "F it, this is awkward to mattet what - I’m just leaving them both at ‘World’! "

1 Like

I didn’t want to clutter this topic up during the ongoing discussion on Friday but since it ended there…

The Public Boundless MMO is an open universe available to all players across the World; a continuously expanding network of public worlds, player-rented Sovereign and Creative worlds, and randomly spawning Exoworlds. Carve out your own corner of the universe as a merchant in the player-driven economy, an industrious supplier, the most fearsome hunter in your guild, or a renowned builder transforming the landscape into great monuments and cities that anyone in the World can visit.

While that may not be perfect I think it effectively separates the two meanings of “world” and highlights the other draws to the MMO. People who start off in local may not realize the MMO is 100% controlled by the players.

6 Likes

Please, please correct me if I’m wrong, but I could swear teaching pies do give 100% more xp, but cap at 70k per pie…at least thats what it says on the pies now. I know it wasn’t always that way, and maybe I’m just misunderstanding the wording on the pies :thinking:

All food and brew buffs in boundless can be extended based on your zeal attribute. At full zeal (8 zeal +5 all attributes) these buffs are essentially tripled in duration. This includes teaching pies, achieving nearly 210,000 XP per pie.

Either way, you can eat more than one pie during the process of collecting your XP.

4 Likes

Yes, I am eating a lot of pies!

Regards,

This…and u can’t have 2 teaching pies running concurrently…So u log in to pick up those 20 batches of fossils, but only get 70k more xp (Unless machines are well seperated, and pies are eaten between machine unloads, but ur still not getting 300k xp from. 150k batch of fossils. 220k would be max, the 150k base + 70k bonus before the pie kaputs…

Edit: Zeal doesn’t change the amount of xp from Teaching, since as stated, its not duration based, but xp capped now…

I’m just going to advise you to put in a few more hours trying this stuff.

You’re on to something, here. Collecting XP is it’s own art in Boundless.

1 Like

I digress, you can make the teaching pie LAST longer with zeal, but ur still capping at 70k. Whether u get it in 30 mins or 45, its still 70k flat bonus…

You can eat a teaching pie and it will stay equipped for days, if you don’t earn the XP to consume it. There’s no timer associated with them any more.

Always test. If you have a character with the appropriate attributes this is easy to test. There are also posts all over the forums about it.

1 Like