Well its been a ride

According to all the posts I can see larian acquired turbulenz . Nothing to say they aren’t operating as an independent entity or subcontractors though.

Still be difficult to argue to talk to someone that legally you likely have a responsibility for.

Who knows…not sure I can even be bothered to find out. Pretty obvious the devs have moved on.

I do find it intriguing that someone who has publicly said they no longer work for turbulenz or on boundless is the one who is responsible for moderating the game forums for them…

3 Likes

It’s completely possible that Turbulenz/Wonderstruck remained it’s own entity and only the employees were moved to a new company. I don’t know UK corporate or employment law, but if it’s similar to US law, I don’t think anything would stop Larian from making a new studio, everyone moving over voluntarily terminate their employment with Turbulenz and then take on employment at the new studio. That would bring into question what happens to the profit Turbulenz was taking for being an external contractor, if anyone got a payout for the acquisition and some other stuff.

It’s still all speculation until we get real information, though. We could come up with a hundred plausible scenarios and still be wrong.

1 Like

It could be that Turbulenz and Wonderstruck are/were separate entities. James said that Boundless wasn’t part of the deal with Larian, so perhaps the Boundless IP is owned by James personally, or Wonderstruck, and it’s only Turbulenz that became Larian Guildford. It might be that any people working on Boundless now are doing so as freelancers and not employees. This would explain why Leah changed her Twitter info, but still helps out on the forum. Could also just be a friend helping out a friend, too.

4 Likes

Alas, after 6mths I doubt we will get any

Also…your last post that got ban hammered into oblivion made me chuckle

To who and when? Never seen any official info on this one

Yeah, and even if these assets weren’t already separate, they likely could be pulled out if needed.

2 Likes

Completely Understand.
Wish you The Best @ardele

I got 17 weeks on GC and I will make sure I put up “Yup another leaving thread”

Abry’s !

2 Likes

Your not leaving us to are you loco-chan

1 Like

Hi @BabyCookie

I have 17 weeks left.
If nothing major gets done with this game, I’m out.
Why pay for anything in any game if they put down the shades.

4 Likes

(Q.Q,) but I’ll miss youuuuuuu

2 Likes

That’s it I’m making a “Yup, another staying post”

2 Likes

Haha @Redlotus

1 Like

I don’t get why they don’t try to work with us on community content. We could make some great blocks and props.

10 Likes

Same. To me, BG3 will always be the thing that destroyed my favorite game…

9 Likes

I’ll play BG3 for a couple of reasons. First, because someone already bought it for me as a gift :smirk:, but secondly because Larian isn’t the studio that did anyone dirty. If Turbulenz ate Larian, THEN maybe I’d have some reservations, but not the other way around. Larian didn’t mean to offend the 50 people who still play this game - they just needed some new staff. And, from my experience with them over a couple of games now, their conduct and reputation are both pretty good.

And I imagine that Turbulenz/Wonderstruck/Whatever will still exist as a legal entity until all of their business is concluded once and for all. As long as even a trickle of revenue keeps coming in from this or any of their previous work, there will still be an address to mail the checks to.

Since the Wonderstruck name is still attached to Boundless at all, then I assume that Larian hasn’t completely assimilated them and is contracting the work out like most of us initially believed. If they were going to officially eat Wonderstruck, that would mean taking on all of their outstanding debts, previous sources of revenue, physical assets like hardware and real estate, etc. That would be the day that Wonderstruck™ got painted over and written over everywhere you could possibly find it.

4 Likes

But then they wouldnt be able to say that wonder struck costs larian money and then just claim big loses on taxes at the end of the year.

I mean, the price of 1 large sov world is enough to rent a server at AWS that can host more than 1 sov world so its not hard to do the math…

1 Like

You know, I had been waiting for the standalone server to try to get a benchmark on this, but I guess it could be done with just the current test client version of the server. Do you know if anyone has been able to estimate the instance requirements for 40 simultaneous connections?

1 Like

I agree with this completely.

IMHO I believe several things have happened:

1. They bit off more than they could chew with cross platform. Hence long times in between updates.
  2. They made promises they never delivered on, this is likely due to issues with cross platform and getting it to work on PS
  3. They lack transparency of what is going on in the development of the game. How long has it been since this last update was started and we are still waiting.
  4. The sold themselves to Larian
    Ultimately though they are likely making way more with Larian than they can with us and as long as we are all willing to continue giving them money we are just a side revenue. Other than that it feels like they have moved on from the game almost completely.

It is sad that this game has lost it’s traction and it really feels like when and if we get the next update that we will not see another again.

@xyberviri Very very very good point! I had not thought of this!

I want to ask a real honest to god pointed question of the community but I am scared I will get banhammered for even asking.

5 Likes

the config file for a 100 person world is 1gb and “logically” 1 cpu core. It looks like its for the standard world size.

but thats now 80, so im guessing that by adding 50% to the world size they had to cut the population limit on the world by 50% to bring it in line with the same resource usage… so im going to say its the same 1cpu core with 1gb of ram for the large sov world with a population of 40

im just guesstimating based working with a uber cheap boss where we run tons of stuff well below the recommended configuration up in aws and it does “just fine”…

1 Like

Does anyone think there will ever be another update?

5 Likes