I broke it, and I LOVE it

Nope, it’s correct… All Block data is stored by the servers why else would we need a server for each planet?

I know what you’re getting at tho, but the game asks the server for block data and uses that to display what we see. Any change we make is then send back to the server.

This also means that other programs can ask the server for the same data…

3 Likes

At this time as far as I know of, this can not be done, as I tried to see if I could do this myself due to the fact I was told that someone has most likely already created a ESP program and the fact the devs might have very little want to install anti cheat engines to prevent ESP.

So in my mind because the lucky few who do program their very own ESP program will most likely get away with it, that made me curious to see if I could make an X-ray texture pack, and failed with very similar results to the screenshots posted by Nightstar,

When I did correct the problem shown in the screen shots, the Transparent textures were replaced by solid white.

Furthermore after closer look at the texture folders I noticed the names for the two main folders for textures

alphablockatlas
and
blockatlas

The game seems to be programmed such that, textures in the blockatlas are not allowed to have alpha channels in them and therefore X-ray texture packs are impossible with basic texture editing,

Only textures in the alphablockatlas folder seem to be allowed to have alpha channels and are allowed to be Transparent

An alpha channel is required for a texture to be Transparent

Therefore I believe the only way to create X-ray texture packs would involve decompiling the game, Reprogramming the game to remove how the above stated works, and creating a custom client. and at that point with the amount of effort to do so, you might as well just program an ESP program/client.

I do not think this is correct based off of the fact Simoyd was able to collect block data and generate it into a altitude chart to find the best altitude to mine Rift at.

4 Likes

You both right, the server need to give the client where the block are at, then its stored in the chunkdata locally for better performance loading.

But i would not be too much worried about this, the atlas gives pretty good indication where to look at.

2 Likes

I have to slightly disagree. While I do believe the altas update was in response to the rumors of ESP. What the altas fails at, is giving you an idea of the elevation of the Resources, which is why you often always see so much valuable rift and blink left behind in areas that have been clearly mined out a good amount. and therefore ESP is always going to be much much better then the atlas in terms of finding such things as long as the altas is unable to display anything about the Z Axis.

2 Likes

Right, some kind of wallhack will always be better than using the atlas, but its not like we have nothing and mine blind

1 Like

Your research and openness are very much appreciated and you have my respect for looking into this in an objective way.

2 Likes

That branch mushroom is one hell of a drug!

A what now? Gotta love or hate acronyms!

ESP = ExtraSensory Perception

However In this case it is what they called the hack in minecraft that lets you be able to see the location of entities and/or objects and/or blocks that are not in line of sight, it doses this by highlighting the area the thing is at

For example

In this example , this one is designed to detect and locate chests, which you can now clearly see thru the wall seen in green outline, and get a very very good idea of the location of the chest, which you otherwise could not see and have no idea about,

This same thing can be used to locate ores or any block you want.

:warning: Disclaimer: Everything below is speculation based off of information from various players and as such SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS FACT by any means as I do not have any proof. and could very well be based on false data/info.

And the same thing can be done in boundless, there was a very strong rumor in the group of people I talk to, that someone had already done so. and that was part of the reason the devs pushed the atlas update for real time updates to try to compensate for the potential abuse of such things by trying to level out the playing field, because the devs do not seem to want to put in anti-cheat engines or other hard protections, to prevent this.

I knew that is what you meant but not what ESP meant in this context!

Anyways, even if something like that is not possible or not all that easy to do with Boundless, one can request the chunk data from the server and inspect those blocks and list the coords of interesting blocks in a nice little window on another monitor…

Afterall such programs already exist…

1 Like

Maybe boundless should have an equivalent of https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/orebfuscator.22818/ to gimp the memory reading. If a seam doesn’t have at least one side against a transparent block like air, water etc make the server send false data and turn seams in to rock. But that needs dev time and could be buggy at first. Eats server resources too.

Do we want content or security updates, I think content is more important.

1 Like

I really do not suggest that, As an admin of many minecraft servers in the past, I can tell you as fact that thing will create problems on machines that can not handle that,

As I am pretty sure the reason the devs won’t install an anti cheat engine or other things to protect the memory of the game, is due to it slowing things down, I am 100% sure they don’t want to do something that will create even more slow downs then a simple anti cheat engine would

Here is one of the statements made that they will not change such things

But isn’t that server side? Anyway, the cheating problem isn’t big, yet, since the population numbers don’t attract the professional cheat makers that also publish them, so there’s nothing public, easy to use cheat for a large number of players to use.

The other thing some games have done is encrypt the memory. Idk how exactly D3 did it, but it worked. But considering that boundless would probably have to encrypt much larger chunks of memory it might hurt client performance.

Would the anti-cheat engines even do anything to memory readers? Afaik they’re focused on recognizing input fabrication and client modifications, memory reading is a bit different.

Edit: Saw the post, interesting!

1 Like

Yes and no, While the blockob---- doses indeed work serverside, due to the way it works, also means quite a bit more network traffic has to be sent, because the client now haves invalid blocks saved in the locally stored chuck data, each time someone mines a block, now extra data needs to be sent from the server to the client, because otherwise the player will see the fake blocks that were being used to try to fool ESP and X-ray texture packs and other such things,

So the end result is more or less, more memory, Network and CPU costs for the server, and more Network use for the client. which can translate to a little more CPU use for the client as well

I am not a programmer, It is possible I am slightly misunderstanding what all an anti-cheat engine can do and can not do, but I would be slightly surprised if it did not also have ways for it to detect and reject things that can try to read the programs memory. I do know LoL haves a self defense where it will crash its self when select memory readers target the process. Rather or not that is from Riots own Anti-cheat engine or something else I am not sure.

True, and vanilla mc doesn’t even have supersonic 3x3 mining.

But thanks for that dev post, didn’t know this has had any input from the dev’s side :slight_smile:

I am very interested in this discussion because I think there’s a small group that might have a few different engines going…

That all being said, I love how the game broke for a moment. Wanted me to put on those red and blue 3d glasses.

It looks super trippy but those gem blocks look so good.

2 Likes

I tested this pretty extensively and it doesn’t seem to be possible to make an x-ray texture mod easily, would need heavy client modification. Modified the files to make the client read the alpha texture and make a block act like glass.

Also tried to add a lava-like light source that glows through blocks, same result. So there seems to be server side protection on these :blush:

1 Like

That is what I thought and figured would be the case.

I mean I did that, the server refuses the connection with the modification :smiley:

…! You decompiled the client?