Illusion Blocks

oh don’t waste your one item perk on that! Go for something cooler! I bet this could get in regardless.

1 Like

I definitely get your point but i think pressure plates, tripwire, … in combination with some actuators would work out better than illusion blocks.

Or something like that but a Illusion block like you described it would be much too OP/easy to exploit.

I don’t have a problem either way. There are other solutions to deal with misuse. For example, you could make it so you can only pass though the side of the block.

Well, I looked back on my game play in the past and the only thing I wish I had that I didn’t (besides time) was invisible doors. So, I would be more than happy if they did that. The best part is that I am sure a lot of players will like it too.

I just though one silly idea…we could have dwarf race with abilities to mine faster and see well in dark + illusions blocks.

Of course illusion blocks in general would still be classifiable as Op player killing weapons, but everything needs to have weakness and one weakness for illusion block could be race ability.

1 Like

thus removing the entire possiblity of making pitfall traps.

So you have 2 things that can be abused in the exact same way, yet only 1 of them is OP/exploitable? that is faulty logic :confused:

well its just something i would like to see, i look forward to some sort of mechanical element, however i dont think we should make something that is so covering as minecraft, i think there should be some limitations given that the game is an mmorpg

1 Like

That’s not faulty logic, you’re not considering the fact that the trigger mechanisms can be detected by wary players, and moving parts and wires have to be concealed and require so much skill and knowledge to utilize correctly, where as illusion blocks as you described them can not be detected and require no talent to use. Illusion blocks OP.

4 Likes

Ah guess so.

for the mechanism / power it seems that the gneeral idea is getting sort of goggles where you can see the connections, hence not making it visible for the normal view and not ruining immersion.

but eh,its more the fact that i still look at oort as a magic game, hence if i had the choice of a mechanical or a magical approach, i would always choose magic.

if we make something that can make hidden doors is pretty good for me, i just think its a bit sad if it is so easy that everybody can see it, hence kinda removing the whole ''hidden ‘’ part :confused:

also it is a good argument. ‘‘it requires player skills’’ for the mechanical part, but what about those who have not used years on modded minecraft? those who doesnt have an ‘‘engineer degree’’ i think its a tricky balance, on making mechanical stuff useful and making it OP, because from what i have seen, it has almost unlimited abilities.

@Zouls
Maybe those goggles will only work in your beacon/ beacons where you are allowed to build?

maybe. that would help alot indeed :smiley:

the question is still just kinda, if we have a lever or a button, how would we hide it? again that is where i think something like this could be neat, someway to hide it atleast

never played minecraft, so i am really not too keen on getting some sort of insane power system where you can do everything your heart desire if you can figure it out, again i think that it is good in Minecraft, being solo most of the time, but in an mmorpg you cant just throw in whatever.

Their motto whenever i asked was always ‘‘Keeping it simple’’ if mechanics is understandable by everybody then its going to be nice, but if its only a few who can figure it out and then in term make something OP from the system, then i think that would be worse.

so @Havok40k Easy to understand and use does not mean OP, while on the other hand making it insanely hard to understand doesnt mean it isnt OP

Sorry I’m late wit my 2 cent on this topic - I think it is an interesting idea. And maybe the camouflage(if i got this right)block could be set up by encircling it with a different type of block. For example (very basic) u have a frame made out of red blocks, and fill the frame with blue ones, then the blue ones transcript into the forcefield/camouflage thingy.
Actually, when I think a bout this idea - i would wanna have it at once. @ben @james this thread is awesome! Chex it out!

They could add tripwire that is really thin and therefore hard to see(should be possible with the graphic engine they are using) and differently textured pressure plates(stone, wood, …) that almost fit the texture of a real stone, wood, … block, those two could be used for traps.

Skyrim version of “hidden” pressure plates as example :arrow_right:

And for hiding leavers and buttons for secret entrances: Get creative. Hide it under a certain block, inside a hollow tree, I´ve even seen a working 9 digit code lock in minecraft.

That always depends on who uses it and how its used.
In minecraft nearly anyone was able to build automatic doors, doorbells and simple thing like that with the “power” mechanic of minecraft but there were also players that built working 8 bit computers, tic-tac-toe games and so on.

this is what i think would be bad. making a system so complex you can do basically everything with it.

but yeah i do think trap mechanics such as that is good, but then i can counter again ''what is to stop you from just making all of the blocks for triggers or to just make wires you cannot avoid?

all of this goes back to mechanical vs magical, if it honestly is too strong then i could go with Havoks idea of ‘‘wavering’’ slightly when getting close, but that i am also still on edge about. i will list the 2 arguments again

1. if we make it beacon block only, then its your own fault for entering another players beacon that you fall to your death (which is the entire point of the block)

2. if it is easy to see then there is no use for it. it basically makes the block useless.

Why would it be bad to allow players to create complex creations inside their beacons?

What would be the difference to just placing illusion blocks?

But in the end i guess it might be too strong, however i also think the mechanics you want is too, so which is more OP? the devs would judge that.

i have honestly never played minecraft much, which you clearly has used quite a bit of time on and is quite fascinated by, as long as it doesnt turn into the whole ‘‘Minecraft have this mechanical system, so oort should too’’ argument, i am happy,

Lets agree to disagree, because as i stated i havent played much MC so i cant really see it from that side clearly. i believe the devs will do awesome stuff with the game, i just hope it wont turn into pure industrial style. cause that would be a waste in my eyes.

last comment, there are none, absolutely none, you were the one who said it was OP, so im just pointing all of your arguments for a mechanical system would do precisely the same.

No, easy to use doesn’t mean op. Undetectable does. There is no tell, no trigger, nothing to warn a player of danger and that’s a problem. Mc pitfalls can be simple too, but they always had a subtle tell if you were cautious. You’re exaggerating the complexity and possibilities of mc mechanical blocks, and having never played mc, you have no idea how wrong you are.

3 Likes

but what would be the point of traps if they were that easily detectable? what would be the point of a hidden room if everybody can see it?

i will have to agree on 2 things.

1. i will have to concede on pitfall, that is a tad too strong, however i think it would be a nice middle ground as a person suggested to only move through it sideways, that way you could still do hidden rooms (which was the main idea with it)

2. i have indeed never player minecraft, doesnt mean i have seen some of the incredible things that could be made using the system, like vasta linked some insane door / deathtrap that was quite complicated to make.

so you are right, however denying that MC’s beloved system could not be abused in the way that you are afraid of dying, is also pretty faulty.

there is not much we can do, having you as an MC player wanting the MC system into oort as much as i would like to not have it will always end in a stalemate.

but yeah, we hsould leave it at that, agree to disagree and let the devs come with their thoughts on the idea, if they say it is out then there is not much more to do about it :wink:

I really like the idea of illusion blocks for making secret passages and hidden doors

To be honest I started reading the comments but then it turned into the too often standard
“whining about how somebody MIGHT abuse it” theme,
so I stopped :confounded:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again

If this (or any) game is designed entirely around what griefers MIGHT, possibly, maybe do then it won’t be fun for ANYBODY

Don’t confuse subtle tells for glaring neon signs saying “zouls’ secret base here!” When I say it needs a tell, I mean something subtle, maybe it can only be detected when you’re 1 or 2 blocks away, and even then just barely. And don’t confuse me for some MC fanboy who just wants oort to be mc2.0. F*** mc. I’m just pointing out the glaring flaw in something bein undetectable regardless if it’s horizontal or vertical, and you refuse to see anything else. Pitfal traps are just the simplest example of how this can be unfair. Don’t misunderstand me, I have no problem with the general concept, just the undetectable part. It MUST have something, anything to tell it apart from the solid block it is mimicking. Perfect illusion is perfectly op.