I'm an ex-SkySaga player who's just jumped in - I think Boundless is the new go-to

I’ve seen a lot of folks over from SkySaga move into looking at Boundless, so I am aware of the massive question lumbering over all of our heads - “Is Boundless the new SkySaga”?

In a sense? I think it is. In terms of discussion, I encourage any players here who looked at SkySaga to ask questions, because I think that I could both offer players a bit of perspective to what it was like (And more, not risk moving players away from this since that’s no longer possible), and even offer insight to devs about what bits and pieces made SkySaga stand head and shoulders above other games I played.

This initial post here is more dedicated to the people who played SkySaga’s private alpha test who are looking for an alternative game to play of a similar style, because let’s face it, that end was more than abrupt, uncalled for, and tragic. It was nasty. This game is a new hope.

I personally hadn’t even heard of this game until much earlier today whilst on the SkySaga subreddit. After doing some research, fact-checking reviews, observing bits and pieces of gameplay myself, and asking people on various communities I’m in about the game, I ultimately decided to go ahead and invest in the Explorer tier. I can say that it’s been a lot of fun for my first hour or so of gameplay, and I know there’s a lot more in stock for what I have to see both from the current game as-is as well as in future updates.

The playstyle of Boundless is pretty neat. The tutorial is quite similar in terms of the flow in that it’s going over a lot of the major core systems of the game at a fairly fast pace, all while remaining easy to keep track of. Of course, it’s not going to be a replica of what you saw in SkySaga (and I did have to try to get that thought out of my head since I was so desperate for an alternative. Pay mind to that). The whole “Adventure is out there!” idea SkySaga had isn’t depicted the same way as it is in this game, but it is definitely present in the style I can see so far. The only major thing this lacks in terms of mood and motivation is the NPC dialog like you’d find in The City of First Light. That’s kind of a part that was unique to SkySaga and is why it was so cheery, but I think that if we can take that attitude into this game, it’ll be just like what we loved for so long. (Isn’t it ironic that the name was changed to “The City Of Last Light” in Alpha 10, just before the game died?)

So far I have only played around an hour or so of Boundless but even within that time I was completely sold. I thought the least I could do was let those standing near me get a bit of assurance for this ever-growing project.

So yeah - If you’re a past SkySaga player looking for that kind of game again, I think this is the best chance you have at all. I’d say go for it.

11 Likes

Welcome to Boundless! I hope you have many friends join you in this adventure. :smiley: I also hope you and friends find a new home that makes you happy here in Boundless. The best is yet to come. Feel free to ask questions in game or in forums. Most are very helpful and friendly. When things don’t work right say so. When you have suggestions say so. @james and the other developers do a great job of fixing problems as fast as possible and are always happy to see suggestions to think about and perhaps implement.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Definitely agree with that last part. I’m a private developer myself (I write my own games independently, I’ve gained some traction too, but to remain on topic I’ll discuss that elsewhere) so I do know the need for detailed bug reports with well-tested repros and insight on where it might be going wrong. I certainly shouldn’t be lacking in that category. I’ve already got a couple of friends looking into the game, so that’s another pro.

Aside from that, thanks for the welcome.

1 Like

I am also an ex Skysaga player although I have had Boundless for several years now, when it was just exploring fantastic worlds and called Oort Online. From some of the development posts I have read lately it does seem that Boundless is going to itch the spot that Skysaga left.

There are quite a lot of similarities between the two, for example, the crafting is quite convoluted as it was in earlier Skysaga alphas, block colours change in relation to worlds (not as many choices as Skysaga yet) and there are the portals to other worlds and locations. I am really looking forward to all the decorations so that my builds don’t seem such empty shells and there is even talk of the ability to own your own planet which will be a bit like Skysaga’s home islands.

There are things about Boundless that are better than Skysaga as well. I love the chisels as you can create such amazing shapes with a bit of imagination and the world itself is beautiful and slightly less blocky. You can create gardens and fill them with grass and flowers but not animals yet, I am keeping my fingers crossed. The grapple is great fun and the skill system allows you to customise your character as well as giving a reason for alts.

I do not know if Boundless will give us the ability to create our own quests and challenges by introducing something similar to Lumostone but we can hope…

All in all, I am keeping my fingers crossed that Boundless continues onwards on the path it seems to be taking as it is heading towards becoming my favourite building game, a position once held by Skysaga.

I hope Boundless stays as much fun for you as it is for me and takes away the sting of losing Skysaga.

saryent

5 Likes

I too used to play Skysaga…was very sad when they abandoned it. Boundless is awesome and has a great community, its definitely my favorite game!

4 Likes

Ex-SkySaga player, too
But I think Boundless have much more different with SkySaga

I have a dream, that many Ex-SkySaga players will rebuild a “The City of First Light” in BoundLess

2 Likes

Huh. I like that idea. May go for it after I get situated.

1 Like