IMPORTANT: Beacon reservation abuse is officially banned!

So therefore, the system is at least partly to blame.

To some degree, in certain situations, with newer builds.

I disagree.

1 Like

in no way finished but the “north” road is the longest of the 4.

[edit] 3 wide and 36 plots long wil this be an issue? (Maybe a plot or 3 longer)

2 Likes

< sarcasm >
Totally in violation. I see unplotted areas. People want that unused lava space :rage:

</end sarcasm>

8 Likes

Its free to plot. Have every thing 4 the hub and all without plot protection :wink:

2 Likes

@james Curious…Is it possible to have a planet or a test-planet-that-may-be-deleted-at-anytime, that uses different plotting methods/rules? Or are they all auto-generated using the same code/servers?

If rental planets are still on the menu, will they have a different plotting system?

I guess I’m just a bit annoyed about changing things over and over. I’ll get over it…& still concerned, but gimme 5 minutes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I don’t really get why this is any sort of surprise.

It’s not like James was in any way unclear about it months ago, the last time they had to make an update in the hopes of curtailing the deliberate abuse of the system:

The only people who could be forgiven for being mad about it are people who weren’t around back then as it’s not fair to expect them to keep up to date with everything historic that ever happened. But that does imply that at no point did they stop and think “Hmmm, his seems wrong, look at all the space I can reserve if I use this cheesy plot layout”

7 Likes

Rather than a setting to be enabled disabled just a blanket inability to plot up against someone without perms would cut a lot of bs about force merge etc and for noobs or freeweekenders or long term gleamclub offenders (yes it rhymes) stops the head ache of parked plots up against you.
At least then you can maintain a road between builds should it ever be needed and you build isn’t closed off from one side expansion plans aside.

2 Likes

I wonder if you have in mind a better plotting system, I’ve been thinking about this a lot but seems like the real problem is people interacting with people lol.

I remember minecraft servers using a very similar system and afaik It worked beacuse:

a) Minecraft maps are endless so never running out of space (Unless the admin restricted you from going to far)

b) Usually there was a player limit.

In boundless we dont have that so, here we are!

2 Likes

I have enough. Quite a few people do I think.

1 Like

I think there have been several threads that have brought up some good ideas. You are correct…there really is no way to stop people from doing people stuff lol

The main problem I see is trying to apply a new system onto and existing one or existing builds. This is why I asked James if it was possible, in any way to add a planet that has a different plotting system that we could try out…instead of layering stuff onto the current one.

I agree that for some reason, we don’t experience these plotting issues in most of the other games we play. I think the player limit could be applied to rental planets, possibly?

2 Likes

Wot in tarnation did I just come home to :upside_down_face:

So if I have a build that sticks out in parts (I have a couple of pathways, vertical plotting, and some weird plotting done under my base), and I’m in violation what happens? Will my beautiful build be removed, what will happen?

1 Like

If it doesn’t look like the example in James’s post, you’re fine

2 Likes

Well I am a new player and this seems fairly straight forward. The screenshot clearly looks like the buffer is being used strategically to multiply the amount of space they can reserve.

I also read it that to resolve the issue they just need to fill in the buffer space with plots and they are good.

I also expect/hope their system will also take into consideration the number of beacons within a region and their average size. I would suspect it’s fairly obvious detect city/malls. They should also detect if the plotted areas are roads or purely in claimed areas.

I also suspect that the most flagrant abuse is most likely very easily detected and also has virtually no building around them so again easily detected.

In summary I see this as play nice and if you want a massive plot go for it but you just have to pay for it.

10 Likes

As I new player I just want to echo some other people’s questions and comments. Will there be a centralized spot “in-game” for these rules? A spot, where it’s very clearly outlined and laid out as easily as possible?

I think anything official needs to be “in-game” in some way shape or form.

My 2 cents.

11 Likes

I think it would be cool to have a mall like planet where people are restricted to a certain shop size.

Obviously there would have to be some rule for roads

1 Like

@james is the plot reservation for a public mining spot still allowed ?

as example here for shadow orbs

some player has protected some farm spots for plants like inky leaf, beans and orbs for a public access, that all player can use them.

if the plot amount is from interest, my public inky farm has around 200-250 plots

i dont ask for privat closed mining spots, only for public spots

4 Likes

If it’s nothing like the example the devs posted at the top of this, then you should be fine. If you or anyone feels they run the risk of this, I believe based on what devs have said is you won’t be able to place further plots from that beacon if it gets flagged. However, I’m certain that if you just place your plots so they touch instead of spacing out plots to have the empty rows of reserved space in between all plot rows, (if you have row upon row like they show in the picture, no good) you should be fine.

So, unless I’m mistaken, if you want large chunks of land, use your plots to have them. Instead of spacing the plots out in a way that then abuses the reserved land gaps each plot gives to essentially claim land without having to use more plots. This reserved land works just fine if it’s outside of a massive plot claim.

You should be able to have bits and pieces where this is the case, but not all over the place spanning massive chunks of land (unless it is just solid plots between you, friends or multiple owned characters)

In reality of this, it’s not all bad. If you fear your plots fall into this category, spend some time to fill in the gaps with a few more plots. If you don’t have enough plots, maybe consider the area you claim may be a bit more ambitious than you can currently handle?

2 Likes

What I understood is that the system will stop you from adding plots.
But I don’t think a spot like that should be reported since it’s actually a benefit for the community.

In any case you may want to plot the whole thing just to be safe.

2 Likes

Even just plotting a few areas to break up the rows from being rows may pass. It also could depend on the scale of the plotted area? If it’s only a couple hundred, maybe this is under the radar sort of thing.

1 Like

I like the idea of beacons being unable to be refueled if they’re violating rules. Bad actors will either have to comply or have their beacon die.