Interesting trade stat on PS4

I was scrolling through the PS4 achievements and noticed that the achievement for players that have bought something via a request basket is only at 7% where as those who have done a hand trade is almost 50% (it was sitting at 48% I think when I looked).

I don’t know what the steam values look like but amongst the PS4 community that seems astronomically small. It’d be interesting to understand the reasons so few on the PS4 don’t engage in the economy in that manner but almost half are willing to do a direct trade.

1 Like

1.9% in baskets. 13.1% hand trades… what terrified me was that only 2.3% have forged their first item and only 1% have got the achievement for forging an item of rank 300.

2 Likes

Have never set up a shop, and don’t get any foot traffic so never bothered with a request basket, though I have sold to them.

Wouldn’t have got the hand trade achievement either actually, except the Valentine’s day event forced it.

Maybe the forge is more complex for more players than we think or it is just getting the ingredients that is the issue?

1 Like

I have 4 forger workbenchs with 24 coils each still not one forge from me lol

I think the biggest issue is the lack of in game information or any form of a tutorial system to get people started.

you know like…

Quest step 1: craft 10 pure boon compound 1, reward: 90 pure boon compound 1
Quest step 2: craft 10 special gum, reward… something, something, etc
Quest step X: forge a chisel with the auto-loot boon up to lvl 3.

That would get people started and perhaps learn the basic mechanics of the forge and maybe even get them reading through the ingredients page in the Knowledge book wondering what they could achieve with the various ingredients leading to experimentation with either good or very bad results. Maybe more advanced quests could follow on, maybe this could just spur more people on to search for guides/tutorials, or just ask for help.

Obviously the problem is the price barrier also. But the lack of funds I see a lot of people suffering from is due to not knowing how to make coin. This is a more difficult matter to solve.

1 Like

This is also all players that have downloaded the game and probably includes free weekend people.

I don’t believe Boundless has ever been free on the PS4 so those stats aren’t inflated by free weekends. Those are PS4 stats so they had to have bought the game.

3 Likes

I recently posted this in another thread but the thread was already long and there wasn’t much discussion:

I found some of these numbers pretty surprising and would love to compare numbers againt PSN, which as far as I know hasn’t had something like a “free play weekend” yet to skew the numbers.

It was also mentioned that some of what went on in EA may not be accounted for as achievements were not always in place on steam.

A lot of people seem to want to get onto player acquisition but these sort of numbers say that player engagement and retention are definitely first priority.

2 Likes

I took one look at the Forge and just “noped” out of it. Didn’t care at all to learn it. I wanted a laid back adventure/building/exploring voxel game. Last thing I wanted was to learn complicated systems.

6 Likes

This might help you for a direct comparison a bit better than relying on other people to provide the info in an untimely manner.

1 Like

Fair enough, i can fully appreciate that.

Whoo whoo I am in that percent that has done…haha thank God.

What’s relevant isn’t the number of people who made a Forged item, it’s the number of people who built a forge, opened it up, and never used it.

Thanks. IT looks like the two systems are tracking against some different data points. but the PSN numbers on what I would consider key points are MUCH more encouraging than the steam numbers.

Me too. If I’m honest, I’ve probably built it up in my head as harder than it actually is at this point, and I actually just made some basic gums and stuff to play with yesterday, but we’ll see. (bought the game a week or three after it came out on Ps4, so I’ve avoided it for a long while).

3 Likes

Half the problem is just getting involved with the process. You made gums. You’re now halfway there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i would not disagree that the tutorial is lacking regarding the forge and a new player seeing the guides and reading the comments in the forum might be intimidated. They would have no clue what a gum was and why it was needed with this boon but not that boon. I think they have to find a way for players to maybe do a quest like you suggest, even if it has to be in the sanctum so it is a no cost the player.

Yeah that’s essentially a basic T6 hammer right? And yeah, you are the 1%!

@Kal-El Actually yes that’s an excellent idea doing it in the Sanctum at no cost and maybe rewarding them with the successfully created loot stick, or regen bomb, or heal bomb, or change chisel, or whatever priceless yet simple to forge item they were taught to make. I remember how much of a game chager it was when I finally discovered all these items and I basically had all machines powered before I did.

To me, and I think many, many other people, even with a Tutorial I have zero interest. It’s too complicated for what I want in this game.

Getting a recipe, clicking “craft” and getting the item is far easier and all I want.

So even if they had a fancy interactive tutorial, I won’t play it, and I doubt many other people would either.

As I said above, I don’t think people are going to care. They’ll take one look, and find a new voxel game to play that isn’t so complicated.

2 Likes