Interesting trade stat on PS4

This actually exists, it’s just hidden from you until you reach midlevel in some crafting tree, forge ingredients I would guess but I’m not sure since my crafter was level 100+ and nearly all feats complete when I discovered it.

Rewards are coins as with any objective series.

I posted quite a few rants about forge related stuff when I finally (3000+ hours in game) decided to give it a serious look. Problems like this one are definitely game-wide more than just forge-specific.

2 Likes

Yeah I honestly paid 0 attention to the feats and objectives pages beyond the starter tutorials. I just accepted the rewards as I randomly completed them as I didn’t want to focus on completing repetitive tasks rather I was happy to just play the game doing whatever I wanted and get rewarded when I had inadvertently completed these tasks.

Like you say, it’s game wide, there is a lack of direction given to players through the entire game and I like many others relied on Jiviita videos whenever I wanted to learn something I didn’t understand… but I’m not sure if I would of liked to of been given a new objective and a task every level, every 5 levels, etc, to encourage me to learn something new… I liked that I could just do what I wanted when I wanted… but yes I shouldn’t have had to go to a youtuber to learn the basics.

And @Evergreen Damn I am really sorry for derailing this thread, I too was just simply astounded when looking at some of those stats. Not something I had ever looked at before now.

1 Like

Yes, it’s why I made this thread overall to see if there was a way to get a better understanding why so few involve at different points in the economy.

Trading / the economy is just as complex as trying to figure out how to forge. There’s been many forge threads to discuss the complexity of it and I was hoping in this one we could focus on why the economy/ trading in general is complex as well and what could be proposed to make it easier to understand.

@wakeNbake it’s np man. Since we can’t grt any real details parsing through achievements is the only real way we as a community can try to theory craft and problem solve. Looking at each , steam and psn, provide some pretty wild numbers if you look through them.

2 Likes

Honestly, I rarely bought things in stores because I wanted to complete the game’s content by myself.

Buying items from other people was cheating.

Something tells me that may be the reason why for other people also, not to mention how absurdly slow the movespeed is for base characters, how hard it is to find shops with no GUI/shop finder, how a ton of coin is locked behind footfall, etc.

In my opinion there could be the same or even less attention given to pointing the users at these as if they’re instructions, and instead a great deal more focus on accessing and using the resources available in game.

Streamlining access wouldn’t hurt. I don’t know why the knowledge base isn’t available from the main menu that people are likely to see much more frequently, for instance. It was months of people reminding me that info i was looking for was right in a game interface which I basically thought of only when I didn’t want it by accidentally pressing a random hotkey.

I was also some time down the road of figuring out what the heck those HUD icons meant before i realized the they were explained to me in a SUPER DENSE one-off tip early in the game at a time when i was taking in too many things to realize what those tightly packed symbols meant, and dismissed it to get on with what I was actually trying to learn.

2 Likes

Again I was fully powered machines and 100’s of hours in before I ever sold or bought a single item… I collected everything myself and hoarded all the junk I didn’t need that I could of been selling. I collected every single item necessary to do a masscraft of each of the coils, most of this with a single target hammer, including 360 diamonds with an iron hammer (or 20) when others were bomb mining Serpen hollow. I didn’t know any better and I actually enjoyed what I was doing and slowly achieveing.

I helped a new player get started recently, I didn’t give him anything because he didn’t want to have his sense of achievement taken away from him. So instead I taught him how to make money by collecting sought after resources and selling to well priced baskets (and no, not by using the trade network). And instead of gathering everything to make all his own machines/coils, I told him to buy them at current prices and instead do what he loved doing which is to build. He was powered and churning out bricks in days/weeks compared to months it took me,

1 Like

Woohooo my secret barter economy is working.

1 Like

I will not disagree with this either. Personally with the RNG and the cost of materials I have no interest and have only forged in test. But if the machine is going to be in the game then as much as I do not like it, there needs to be better information on how to use it or it needs to be simplified. Both are just my opinion

Yep, absolutely. The game I thought I was buying was one where each player chose a direction/path that led to them doing one or two things (skills, professions, whatever you want to call it) and relied on the value of their chosen path to allow them to cooperate/trade with other players to achieve/attain the things they couldn’t gather/mine/craft/forge… what I got was a planet that was hardly populated at all and I was the opposite side of the planet from anyone else including the capital or any form of portal to another world.

It’s only due to my determination to figure every little mechanic out when I play a game and the fact that I loved everything about the game that I carried on playing. and in a lot of ways the isolation helped me as I’m rather anti social by nature anyway… wow you should of seen my mind blown when I first found the portal to Ultima, I actually had no idea that the Au/Eu/US servers were all playing together until I found that portal and I was probably levelled into my 20’s or 30’s by that stage from hopping around the 3 Aus planets alone! haha

I understand. I’m also only speaking my opinion. I feel that any dev time spent on a tutorial for the forge is wasted. It won’t resonate with players no matter how much they try in my opinion.

And if that means people then need to rely on a few specialized crafters then there’s another problem because apparently people aren’t trading much either.

Maybe I’m wrong. Dunno.

1 Like

I’ve honestly never seen another MMO where people worked so hard to not participate in anything actually multiplayer.

2 Likes

No you’re right, people aren’t trading, the in game systems don’t facilitate it at all well. It relies on discord and the forums to actually get any attention to a shop and players don’t know where to go to actually sell the things they’ve begun hoarding to actually make money.

But also, we as players aren’t completely blameless either. I didn’t participate in the economy until I had spent 100’s of hours in this game. And like so many of us, I spend alot of my time planning and making builds to house my next storage expansion… lol.

2 Likes

I mean… if the devs make a game that attracts an audience that doesn’t want to forge or trade then I have to wonder why they keep doubling down on those systems?

I think its possible the vast majority of people bought this game to play alone or with close friends. The mmo part of if wasn’t the draw at all.

But again. Maybe I’m wrong.

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean by double down?

To double down on something means to bet against the odds.

Sometimes it seems like the developers make decisions to force a style of gameplay that people don’t want. They are betting they can make it work.

OK I do not want to forge, but I might be more willing to trade if it was not such a hassle and colossal waste of time looking for stuff or getting to a store or mall that is 12 planets away. I know most of the mall and store owners hate the idea of an auction house, but quite frankly without something like this I have no interest in engaging in the larger economy. Why am I running around generating footfall for however many different players only to not find what I want after an hour?

1 Like

Yeah we’ve had this conversation before and people like @Biv were vehemently opposed to it saying it would “ruin” Boundless. They left anyways lol.

Yeah I think this is common. The game is an MMO Sandbox and not an MMO RPG at least from what I have heard from the developers. But I think a lot of MMO’s have an RPG aspect so it does set a certain expectation and if you look at Boundless, it looks like it might have an RPG element even from the website. If it is a sandbox then maybe that is why we can ultimately do whatever we want but since it is an MMO if there are things we do not want to do, there are other players we can interact with who might love doing it.

OK I see. I m sorry to say but I actually enjoy forging myself, so I haven’t really got an answer for you there. And I’ve managed to make a successful store on Lutrion of all places (a grand population of 3 people and in the middle of Blinksec hell in case you’re wondering) so any problems I had with trade I solved by finding a way to make it come to me. As a result I get the luxury of being able to spend my time and energy in game doing what I want to do.

Sorry if that sounds a little inflammatory, it is not intended to be I assure you. That’s just the different game experience that I’ve had to you I suppose and I’m truly sorry that there are things that you aren’t enjoying.

2 Likes

Oh, no, it’s fine. I’ve said it before, all I care about is the game does well. If the game develops content that I don’t like, but the game sells better, I’m all for it.

1 Like