Introducing Gleambow Racing, starting this week!

15 second timer on these meteors is dumb who ever came up with that time frame needs to be smacked with a cactus even if the timer is 1 minute when you have to travel across mountains and everything else

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m just a “casual” player who tends to play predominantly independently due to erratic play time due to work and family etc, the time I get online I mostly spend building as it’s the thing I find most enjoyable and any coin I’ve been getting I’ve been spending on advanced power coils for all my machines. Last week I bought my first forged hammer so hopefully when I get a chance to use it I’ll be able to get some stuff to sell back to the “hardcore” players that keep the game going. Thanks for the offer Moebius, hopefully I’ll get a chance to get on in the next couple of days.

3 Likes

I think the biggest problem and misconception of this event is the dynamic timer with successful runs reducing the timer and failed ones increasing it. That way players with best equipment and optimized skills lower the bar by reaching meteors most of the time resulting in less equipped players failing more often. Players that are failing often will get frustrated and hunt less often or even stop completely. This way the event has the potential to turn into something only enjoyable by the top players over time.

Instead a fixed timer should be used with challenge going from moderate (T3 planet) to hard (T6 planet). That way everyone can choose their challenge lvl like it already is the case with normal meteors.

Personally I was really hyped about this event but currently feels more like a downgrade of the game adding frustration.
Biggest issues for me are the need for a group and the harsh timer.
Group need is an issue because I often do meteorites when out gathering things but that mechanic only allows me to take part in the event when actively hunting in a group or having people randomly nearby. Would really like to be able to go on gleambows during normal exploring activities.
Currently upgrading to forged gem grapples to beat the timer and hope it will get fun with those even when not being explicitly skilled for this event. Right now big bodies of water are equal to immediate failure.

2 Likes

So it’s day 2 of rainbows in the sky I believe today will have a fix for the timers and hopefully a bigger more visible tail on the meteors. At least I hope so before I give this event another try

IIRC, my first trip to a lv 3 as a newb resulted in me becoming a meteor myself. I kited a long tail of mobs across what seemed like a quarter of a planet, before ducking into a cave, not realizing that last step was a doozy, and going out in a blaze of glory into the lava. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

… It was a little while before I tried that again.

3 Likes

Oh, right I should’ve maybe posted this info, but you can mod them to be bigger :smiley: Go to your boundless install folder and assets/archetypes, on my pc the path is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Boundless\assets\archetypes

Edit

clientnpceventsettings.json

Modify the values there, notably

meteorBallSkyEffectSize
meteorTrailSmokeEffectSize
meteorTrailHighEffectSize

2.0 makes pretty big meteors, 4.0 makes huge meteors :smiley:

Boundless has to be restarted for these values to take effect, and they sometimes reset when patches hit.

3 Likes

I have had an issue finding group hunts for a long time now. Certain days and times are impossible. It’s been this way for a while now for many vets, because we have done everything there is to do, and at some point we’ve built all that we want to build, and another point is that being part of some guilds and cities, it’s in vain to build something nice, because they always completely change it, and you no longer want to be part of it. Finding a group when you want to hunt, is really hard. This event will mean more groups out and about, and hopefully increase players playing. It’s an mmo, but too many ppl try to force it to be a solo game. It can only solo so far. Otherwise just play Angry Birds.

This event being forced to group up, I believe is the dev;s attempt to have an event where it’s worth grouping up for. There is nothing in the game that truly promotes groups. There actually needs to be however.
Regular meteors give more in loot mainly in resources that are already easy to get. I have more meat and animal parts I could ever use in a lifetime of the game. I get more ores from mining than I do hunting. I have a buttload of shards.

Do you guys have a better idea that gives people a reason to group up and increase the mmo function of the game, that doesn’t kick off every solo players anger? Players have suggested instances and dungeons, and pvp, but those all, for the most part are not solo events. So will any idea of uniting players together get shot down with sadness like this one did?

As far as this event, I don’t like the timer on getting half the blocks destroyed. I don’t see a need for it. It just adds a unneeded chance to lose the special gleam, when everyone at a hunt is already dedicated to not lose the meteor thus wasting all their buffs and energy. Why add a timer to possibly nullify that there is a special event? Not sure the timer helps force larger groups or not.

2 Likes

I have now actually been taking a break until there is some content that is more involved. More mmo like. Just building something and waiting for ppl to come by and say “wow”, has worn off after a couple years of it. I need Hunters, and more mobs to kill. A reason to group and survive. I loathe pvp in the form of corp. greed. Makes me ill.

I welcome anything that breaks up what’s been the norm.

haha yup! most of us don’t run a guild or city with tons of beacons for footfall ;D

← poorest elder player :joy:

for pros, maybe… and that is if you’re fully skilled and tooled and brewed and buffed up…

that’s what i’m sayin’!

This right here.
it’s already bad enough we have to compete for the blocks… (it’s not like they are dropped from an instanced lootbox :frowning: )

3 Likes

That has happened to us all me and my buddy spawned on lamblis to start we spent a lot of time digging before we were able to even effectively kill the mobs now i 1 shot most mobs on t3 worlds

1 Like

Hello all,

Some news on this - we’re updating the event. Details Here;

Cheers

9 Likes

because the rainbow meteorites come so far from where the region is discovered? all the metrotites go very far and without taking into account mountains, rivers or even lava, I do not understand why, the normal meteorites come out well and close, what difference is there? and because you have done so far is difficult with the countdown and it is necessary 2 people, I do not understand why so much difficulty, for new people is almost impossible, I being a veteran I have a hard time arriving so I imagine a beginner how hard it is done, so I think this event is only for veterans

me neither i dont own my hub and city lol
was to busy to install decent footfall systems and i leveled super slow lolz
but being me does have benefits not gonna lie lol

1 Like

Sam the man

And we’re back - enjoy folks!

Remember to keep the feedback coming - see you in there!

3 Likes

Just had my first experience with the event (large regular hunt that also included 3 gleambow meteors), here is my feedback:

- Good base idea: cool way to introduce new blocks, limited access for even the more successful racers means trade will be encouraged.

- Needs better inclusion: Race is fine to give the fastest players best access to the blocks, but there should be event-specific rewards for everyone who participates. These could be done via the meteor loot box or drops from gleambow cuttletrunks. The most obvious would be a few blocks of event-specific gleam, but a gleambow currency or crafting ingredient that could be used to make special gleambow items would be excellent as well.

- More event swag: The unicorn horn is good, but a few more hats and a body paint or two would have been nice, especially if they were purchasable/craftable with items from participating in gleambow races as mentioned above.

that’s my 2 cents, thanks!

4 Likes

So I feel this event is poorly implemented. For someone that doesn’t have the gear and/or skill build to be able to race across the surface of a planet, always being the last one to arrive at a meteor during hunts, it makes me feel left out. As a result, I just finished running a hunt with a group of folk. Got a whole lot of monster drops as you’d expect from a meteor hunt. … On the flipside? Absolutely NO gleam from it. Why? Because by the time I’d get to the impact site of the meteor everyone else has already completely consumed the meteor and left nothing behind before moving off to the next one. It would be nice if the so-called shared loot inside a completed gleambow meteor would include a few pieces of gleam just so people like myself don’t get the shaft. Thanks.

9 Likes

I’m with you… it would be nice if the meteor core you break at completion rewarded a random selection of these special blocks…

3 Likes

I am a little confused do you kill the creatures first or do you go right for meteor and break blocks?

uh, what? .