Introducing the PS Planet Explorer

All of the filters you are currently using already exists:

You just have to stop trying to show all of the data for all of the worlds at once. The Boundless Information Station has all of the filters mentioned above and more, but there are separate views for different types of data. There are over 20k World Block Colors combinations for over 1k worlds. You cannot easily show that all in a single API request or even show that in a browser window. Planet Explorer lags my browser hardcode and it takes almost a full minute for the page to re-render after I resize the window.

3 Likes

Same here, and I have an i9 9900k with 32GB of DDR4 RAM. The excessive use of Javascript to clientside everything doesnā€™t help.

You sound like someone who just hates js. You probably love php though and php, just like jsp, is garbage. Iā€™m full stack btw. I am equally experienced with both Java as well as html, css and js. The reason I donā€™t have a ā€œserver sideā€ to my app is because for hosting, you donā€™t get a Java or Node (either would be fine for me) install unless you upgrade to the premium tier.

I can refactor the app as most of what I need from a filtering perspective is already there (not the sorting though) but Iā€™m inclined to just walk away and shut it down as there are clearly some members of the community who donā€™t appreciate it.

:open_mouth:
Node is better than PHP, but how dare you

Jokes aside, my opinion, as someone who uses your app, your design is significantly more powerful than the other tools available, and I would love to see this design applied with a more efficient setup.

Iā€™m full stack too, working with PHP/React professionally, but preferring node for back-end as well, I just donā€™t think browsers, especially mobile browsers, are built to handle this amount of data. Yes, JS is fantastic, and I know Iā€™m not who you made that comment to, but browsers suck at holding that much data.

I hope everyoneā€™s feedback on your implementation doesnā€™t discourage you from continuing the project, as I would love to see it continued and improved.

Node.js can be utilized AS a web server in and of itself.

They said their hosting doesnā€™t allow them to run node without paying more. I know my hosting package makes it really weird to run node apps.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I know Vue but havenā€™t done much of anything with React or Angular.

Iā€™m a little harsh on PHP because I find it just like JSP and I hate JSP but thatā€™s a loooooong story where Iā€™d have explain what I do professionally and how it used to be entirely JSP-based and now uses its own HTML templating language with server and client side parts to it.

Iā€™ll take a look at refactoring but my worry is that refactoring wonā€™t solve anything because, in order to get all the information I need in order to provide the features PE currently has, I would be back to making 1000+ API calls in a short amount of time like I was doing originally and that was coded against by Angellus (understandably so).

Might consider a different provider then. A quick google search gave me 10 of the Best Node.js Hosting Platforms for 2023 (Free + Paid) which ā€¦ I can vouch for DigitalOcean as a hosting provider and their service has been amazing for my purposes.

I contacted several hosting providers. ALL of them required the dedicated hosting tier in order to install either Java or Node.

I have Node on a cloud vps by DigitalOceanā€¦

1 Like

Maybe we can help you find a solution that doesnā€™t require this. What data are you looking for that you expect to have to query like that after looking at the endpoints @Angellus referenced? I was looking through it and it seemed like you shouldnā€™t have to hit more than a handful at a time most of the time if you design it around that idea.

Is that on the $5/mo plan? I will consider switching hosts if thatā€™s the case.

Iā€™m using their $10/mo plan, but thatā€™s due to the other usage of the vps I have, its not purely just a web server.

1 Like

I too would be very curious what plan you have @SephirothWS if they let you have Node installed. To do that on Bluehost (who Iā€™m using) itā€™s $25+/mo

EDIT: answered

You have to break it out into separate views to cut down on the calls. Something likeā€¦

What are you looking for?

• A World
    • Give list of worlds with options to filter. When user clicks world, pull data for world
  • A world with a specific color of block
    • Have user choose color + optionally block ā†’ search for worlds. On click ā†’ pull data for world
  • A block in a specific color
    • Have user choose clock and optionally color ā†’ search for worlds. On click ā†’ pull data for world
  • A world to farm a specific resource
    • Have user pick resource ā†’ search for worlds. On click ā†’ pull data for world

That set up can be 100% done frontend only with a static file host and requires zero backend and will not require thousands of API calls to complete. Only request the data the user is looking for.

1 Like

I think my hosting just renewed for a year last weekā€¦ But I will look at this next time Iā€™m looking at actually publishing a node app. Thanks much!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a litmus test. How would I do the following:

1. Sort by Diamond % among all available (non-past-exo) planets

I like using PHPā€¦
ilikephp

Welp. I learned something new. :hushed: :laughing:

2 Likes

Judging PHP is partially a throwback to when it was really bad for security. Also, some people think you need a lot of rules to keep you from doing stupid stuff like not sanitizing your inputs.

2 Likes

Thanks @Angellus. Youā€™re going to end up with a ton more api calls this way but if youā€™re cool with it Iā€™ll work on breaking up into smaller views with more granular calls.

As for pagination, Iā€™m hugely against it from a ux perspective in 2020 but I can implement infinite scrolling where the necessary calls are made as per scrolling

2 Likes