"Invisibility"

There was mention of a possible option to make beacons invisible, I think it would be great if there were wearables or ways to extend this feature to players so you can essentially disappear from the game. The entire point of this is for people who wish to make shadow guilds. Obviously not everyone is into this sort of thing, but some people, my self included, love making hidden invite only cities.

Edit~ Also sometimes I would prefer not being seen, like when I’m mining at one of my good locations I’ve been found before and considering how many more players will be on I feel like it would happen a lot.

2 Likes

with all of my lone wolf and cub fanboyness, in my best retsudo shadow yagyu voice,

YES~!

I suggested something like a stealth mechanic a while ago:

Which got pretty much denied by a dev:

So albeit liking the idea, I doubt that it will make it into the game.

I guess it’s still possible it could make it in to the game. I’d say definitely not for 1.0 … but maybe if/when they add in some PVP mechanics in to the game.

1 Like

what about potions that give 30-60s of invis. that would be fun.

1 Like

But the quote from Ben you posted already kinda gives away that the combat design wont be suited for stealth mechanics…so an implementation after launch might not only be unlikely but also impossible.

Dunno how and why you relate stealth to PvP.

I related it to PVP as, from that post, it seems it’s very unlikely to be part of core combat, which as it stands is just PVE (as far as I know, PVP has still only just been talked about and could be in the game).

So the introduction of PVP could be an ideal time to introduce stealth as well.

1 Like

Well I like the “stealth” idea but I didn’t really mean actual invisibility. Just don’t want my character and beacon to appear on the magical compass…

1 Like

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thanks for the quote

Wouldn’t hidden beacons have the potential to cause conflicts as someone will not see them and set their own beacon up close by accidentally blocking your progress?

I had a good look around to make sure I wasn’t close enough to anyone else before I placed mine but I can see the potential for conflict in high value areas.

1 Like

Not only that but having the ability to go invisible indefinitely would be game breaking for PvE. I agree with @T4LCOMX’s idea of an invis brew if invis is to happen at all. But mat cost would need to be high.

Yeah, I had the same thought @Clexarews for a good social PvE environment Invisibility goes against that and would make the Survival aspect of the game too simple.

From what I’ve read though maybe Stealth could be employed specifically on one of the classes?

ie, an explorer would be weak at building & mining and OK at combat but a special thing could be he can employ stealth/stealth beacon/some sort of stealth wristband while scouting out dangerous planets.

In opposition a builder could be strong at building and mining, weak at combat - but have the chance to not use materials while building or get a double batch out of a mining node.

(Although this isn’t a PvP discussions I’d prefer PvP, if it is considered, to be like GW2 where there’s a planet people can choose to go to and when you enter every character is made the exact same stats and choice of equipment. This approach might make “balancing” any future PvP much easier.)

The other bad thing to remember about invisibility is that it makes is super easy for bot miners to operate and if this game gets big - they will come as they do in every MMO.

I really dislike the way this post is going. I DID NOT MEAN INVISIBLE LITERALLY. I understand this could be construed to mean that. To keep it simple, the only thing I want is “not appearing on the compass”. I said it above in my 2nd posting. I would rather this post not go any further down the road of invisible in the sense other players can’t physically see you. I just find having a 24/7 lock on tracking device for players( the compass ) should be handled at the players discretion and not forced upon them.

Gonna disagree with you on that one.
Many (almost all) MMOs and even some survival games employ a sneak mechanic and neither broke the PvE.
7 Days to Die, as example, features a sneak mechanic that could work very well in Boundless.

A mechanic that disables tools while sneaking could prevent this.

EDIT:
Oops, sorry @Pois0n . Maybe a leader can move all the unrelated posts to appropriate topic?

the main reason id want an invis brew is to escape enemies, like to run across that big open area filled with hoppers and spitters D:

and yes, conceal from compass spells plox

@Vastar thanks for the concern, but this is just a suggestion page so I don’t think they should bother doing all the work =). Just wanted to clarify my position and original intentions, no harm.

sneak =/= total invisibility. Sorry if I misunderstood the original topic, but I thought it was invisibility.