Iron too rare

19 blinksec, too far for me and costs 1,500 coin.

I’ll need to level up one more time to get there.

If you’ve got a lot of stone or copper gear, you can just refund a couple skill points, send a warp totem to the planet, then warp there. You’ll be fine, just be sure to take all your sap, bones, materials needed to build more weapons.

1 Like

My gatherer isn’t my crafter. I’ll have to move both chars there if I want to settle on a world with a decent amount of iron.

I don’t see what you are going on about here, Cryptic is right. Iron is not a necessary thing to have on your t1 planet. You don’t need it for anything particularly, its just another tool tier, and if you want to start using it for alloying, you can’t do that without leaving the planet and thus going to a planet with plenty of iron.

I have 500+ iron I don’t have any use for on a t3 planet

1 Like

This isn’t explained to the new user. People who are new to this game won’t know that, and they’ll get frustrated, thinkin’ they NEED to get more iron to advance. It’s easy to say otherwise if you’ve played the game before.

I went into more detail in a thread I started about how unclear the new user experience’ is.

1 Like

People are looking at iron as a starter material when it isn’t. Look at tools. You have wood, then stone, then copper and then iron. Iron is a mid-level material which is why it is common one step above the starter planets and there is some on starter planets so you can choose to make some things with it there or just go to the next level planet and get it. It shouldn’t be changed. By the reasoning people are using then they might as well make all gems and gleam etc. available on starter planets too so that nobody has to wait for anything and never has to progress just start at the top. @crypticworlds is correct. Many people are gone to iron worlds within a couple hours of starting so you don’t have to wait a long time. Make iron etc. easily available on starter planets and many will never leave the planet as they don’t like danger. Iron on a level higher gives you a reason to leave the starter tier 0 and tier 1 worlds.

I put iron in a atlas, the entire planet lit up like crazy. Thought to myself, this is how It’s suppose to be done.

2 iron hammers and 4 totems later, and a strip mined 50 block wide section all the way down to the mantle. Not one iron. On planet Phem. A t2 planet, almost no iron. I found like 4 out of 600 blocks.

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty’ frustratin.

Well I won’t argue that there could be more clarity to everything in the game, that is true

I will warn that there is a fine line too though. Too much explanation/tutorial isn’t good for the game either. There’s a balance to be struck

1 Like

T2 or level 3 is iron

1 Like

I was really knocked when i finally ran into 2 blocks of iron on my starter world - felt very frustrated as I didn’t know where to get more. So I coppered up and jumped to the next world and bang - landed straight on iron.

It’s a definite change from before, but I kind of have to agree that it does put iron clearly above copper, and also makes copper much more relevant than before. So nope, I don’t feel like it’s too rare, just not where I expected it to be.

4 Likes

Hi @Prome3us …thanks your help with those spitters :grin: …After that encounter I managed to level up a bit and put some points into armour and then tried my luck on the rugged metal world. I found plenty of iron there and even a piece of silver and some tech components …still died a few times but it was worth it … just planning my next trip back to it with an atlas and a couple of grapples to go silver and tech mining :grinning:

2 Likes

I have shitloads of iron. But then again: I didn’t stick on the starter planets and moved inmediately to higher tier planets when it was possible for me. I set up my main base at Delta Cancris (Coal! Coal! Coal!) and there is a fair bit of iron around there. With Till at a short distance away for the higher tier metals (silver, gold and titanium). I am a bit dissapointed by the amount of titanium though, but maybe i am looking in the wrong places. Next raid on Till i’ll bring an atlas.

1 Like

Why do you think Iron should be on the T1 and T2 worlds? At the moment Iron is configured to be on T3 worlds. There are a few rare bits of T1 / T2 worlds so that you can take a piece to the T3 worlds and use it in an Atlas.

There is a colour scale on the Atlas that is attempting to communicate the relative abundance.

For example: surface materials are rarer than in-block resources - as there is simply less surface to distribute them on.

So the colour of the heat map scales to help communicate this.

If you compare the Iron and Copper heat maps on T1 / T2 worlds then they should be a different colour.

5 Likes

This is exactly what I am worried about, and it really happening now.
@james You still made something wrong.

@Flithor the point is, we always took for granted in the old world because we knew how to do everything… the new world/universe is supposed to be seen with fresh eyes because we are the newbies now :wink:

We sre experienceing the game for the first time again (quite an awesome experieance really :slight_smile: )

as the new players on release would basically

2 Likes

AGREED!

Playing in Beta, iron was not especially plentiful but it wasn’t rediculously scarce either. There are tier 1 and tier 2 achievements that are dependent on iron. You shouldn’t have to go to a T3 planet to complete these.

500+ copper, 15 iron - I mean comeon. I even went up one tier in planets. I only spent 1/2 day there but I got ZERO iron.

The scarcity of iron is going to frustrate new players and they are not going to stick around. I had to mine nonstop for 2 days to get enough iron to make an iron furnace. This is just nuts.

1 Like

Iron is extremely plentiful on the Turbulent worlds. Besevrona, Alnitans, and Serpensarindi. Just need to have the proper atmosphere protection.

what I can see from freshmen point of view (trying to switch off what I know about the game)

when you need to move from first machines to the higher tier that requires silver/gold to build, there is nothing pointing you to:

1. what worlds will have seams of silver/gold and how difficult they are
  2. soloing meteorites can give you first much needed silver/gold

Ad.1 That makes you go around and visit worlds, spending coins to warp and often come back with nothing and, whats worse, sometime without answers at all (you dont know if the world doesnt have what you want or you were just unlucky). You also can’t tell if you need atmosphere skills.

IN SHORT: all the world types (lush, rugged and so on) are not explained clearly enough to communicate their nature to the players; also, it’s easy to get stuck on a world due to lack of coins; players joining later will have some portals around but even then some my prefer warping around and learn things themselves and coins seem to be too low on levels 10-20 to support search for next tier resources and ensure steady progress

Ad. 2 New players, even those building hunter skill sets, are shy to start meteorites as they look very intimidating and there is nothing in game that would suggest them that its worth trying; also the resources you can get from them are not so clearly presented as before hand knowledge.

7 Likes