Iron too rare

I won’t tell them Lvl 5 Kinetic Armour can let them solo Lvl 2 meteorite to get component for next stage, KKKKKKK…

i agree there still needs to be some kind of info about this - its still WIP after all but if the devs know this is an issue i do not know

• Have some extra info when using a warp conduit/portal/sanctum warp

Grovidies Te: Rugged XX World
Ore: Coal, Copper, Iron
Gem: 0
Gleam: [Gleam Name]

etc?

1 Like

Yup I’m so glad to hear you guys are also looking at this like a new game, as it pretty much is. I’d strongly agree that there should be either an info box or a quest expanded when making first augments giving info on what to expect on different worlds, as this is kinda black magic at the moment.

As @Barneylee57 pointed out, when unlocking the need or ability to use / make alloys, a little info on where they can be found wouldnt hurt. Same thing kinda when iron comes out. I understand and appreciate the progression aspect, just that fresh players may need a little nudge to go warping to 3’s and on

3 Likes

I will throw 2 cents.

Iron is extremely rare on starting planet. While true, it is in abundance on next closest tier metal planet.
The cost was for me 500 coins for one way teleport (from sanctuary to landing site/beacon).

Copper hammers work well for first trip of mining and are in abundance on starter world - I’ve actually took 22 of those and used all of those.
Unfortunately I very nearly get enough to be able to get alloys for tech, but healthy number of iron.

Iron is practically not necessary to deal with starting planet - I think everything you need you can craft from stone/copper so actually from my point of view its fine and additional reason to possibly move there.

I have no idea why someone said that it took 1500 coins to teleport there. This is the price I’ve paid for teleportation on uninhabitable metal planet. For rough metal it took me 500.

2 Likes

@Elrood

I think most agree the way iron is showing as progression through planets is ok.
However, if it comes to silver/gold, not everyone lands close enough to metal worlds. AU for example has a coal world available not too far (farther than 500c warp though) and metal worlds are farther away. So, not all home worlds have equal access to higher tier materials (meaning warping costs). And there is too little info in-game for new players to help them understand where to look for higher tier metals. You can be easily out of coins before you find the right world and find what you need.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys, it’s really helpful. Within the next few weeks we want to make some changes to improve clarity of resource location. Changes we are looking at:

• Improving the atlas to give clearer information as to where resources are.
  • Adding a resource list to the worlds information tab.
  • Adding location information to resource sources (seams and surface resources) in the knowledge screen (vague altitude and depth information).
  • Adding information to items that tells players where they drop from. For example: iron ore can be obtained from iron seem blocks or meteorite events.

As for the issue with iron, we want to encourage players to leave the starter worlds and explore other planets. We did think about removing iron completely from starter worlds to avoid the problem players have come across whereby searching for iron on starter worlds is frustrating. As highlighted, we need to make it clear to players that if they want to progress to iron they will need to leave the starter planets. Hopefully some of the changes above will help with clarify this message.

15 Likes

Add in knowledge - a list for item to show it can be used to crafting what things.

Ok I sense a little conflict. You want people to leave planets to find the different materials and want portals to be less common. So people have to spend all their coin on warping (1000 coin round trip from Beckon to Biitule) so there is no coin for the economy… (but that is a different issue).

They need the materials for the objectives (to get the xp bumps to level) so they have to get them somewhere or they are stuck on the tier 1 worlds mining and gathering (grinding) for a very small amount of xp per hit in order to level (very boring and repetitive to do on the same planet day after day). They cannot get the materials for the objectives on T1 or T2 since they do not exist or they have been mined by every other player. So they have to warp to t3 but they do not have the weapons to defend themselves (as I have been told I should have an iron slingbow to go to Biitule not a mere copper one), since they are going there to get iron. But then the coal shortage kicks in and they really need to go to a coal planet also. You need precious metal to make the machines (refinery and compactor) so you have to go and find those. .

You certainly are forcing people to travel the universe, but then I read where you think portals are too common and oort should be harder to come by. I think you need to decide if you want people to have to travel then portals need to be more common, if you want portals to be less common and people to use warps then the materials needed to advance cannot be spread all over the universe. If you stick with the current setup you get frustrated players and unless the portal network expands, no economy as people hoard coin for warping.

4 Likes

Since the portal seekers are getting a hub set up on every planet soon enough you won’t have to warp everywhere all the time. The problem is already close to being solved by the players.

Thank you to those setting up the portal seekers hubs

3 Likes

I will agree the portal seekers are owed a big thank you by the community and the developers. . I know our little group was going bankrupt spending coin to warp to the different planets to try and complete objectives and level.

I know I was through the majority of the objectives that I could do without a steady supply of iron and coal and access to precious metal in a day or so.

Incorrect. We don’t want this.

All players should be able to build portals.

13 Likes

you guys are awesome

2 Likes

Please make iron more common, James.

It’s very common on the rugged metal planets

3 Likes

To be honest I don’t think there is any issue with Iron, I warped to a rugged metal world at lvl 12 armed only with copper equipment and came back with hundreds of iron, didn’t even need an atlas. If it can be easily done at such a low lvl then I cant see the issue.

5 Likes

OK my misunderstanding I took “This is to allow portal networks to be affordable, but not ubiquitous, and to make higher tier worlds more of an event to travel to.”

the wrong way, I do appreciate the clarification.

3 Likes

as @Tobelawe said above

1 Like

It’s ok. There have been a few different messages sent out by different people at different times about the challenge of making a Portal. Basically we’ve not had a consistent message, but this can happen when the team is encouraged to communicate. Sometimes we share things that in review I might not have wanted them to have shared. But I’d rather over share and correct things, than under share. After all we’re iterating plenty of things. We have to accept the message bouncing around a little sometimes.

But ultimately the hard line is that all players should be able to create and maintain a portal - with reasonable efforts. Clearly there is a balance beyond that. Should everyone be able to maintain portals to every planet? Probably not!

We want all players to experience creating a portal, because it’s a pretty cool moment…

21 Likes

Please continue the level of communication. I personally appreciate the fact that our concerns are acknowledged and that we get feedback and sometimes additional questions from the people at Wonderstruck.

BTW I would agree a single payer should not be able to maintain a hub network to every planet.

edit: Sorry for the de-rail of the topic from Is Iron Too Rare

8 Likes

could it not be done where you put a soft cap on portals, placed by one person?

(Joe From X part of universe can only crate X ammount of portals on his part, but if he jumps into another sector he has X ammount to use there (he can remove portals to free up his limits) )?

Then he cannot plt the entire universe in one go etc

Or similar