Iron too rare

I am not saying it isn’t an issue but there are solutions in the game that exist and methods in which you can use to get the stuff you want or need.

Forging stuff does take a long time. You’re basically modding items so the reward is having a really stupid strong item to use. The process of which it takes to forge an item should be shortened but I don’t really think it’s going to be possible. Even if they reduce recipe requirements for stuff, it isn’t going to change how you’re going to need to go out and hunt down the resources in the first place.

Being self-sufficient is just a matter of a time investment to have all the characters and skill sets you need. You get it by just playing the game long enough. Running a shop is a lot more involved than farming levels through gathering and crafting stuff. You have to watch your competition, market your shop, work with other players, practice customer service, manage inventory and stock levels, source raw materials, manage coin and coin reserves.

If we both agree there is an issue then the solution may be the only area where we differ. If you are suggesting the methods you outlined as a temporary solution until it is addressed by the developers, I would agree you can still get enough iron to get by, but you are not gong to be making large builds using machined iron. And why make it possible if you cannot make enough to actually use.

Anything is possible, the developers have control over the time it takes for the crafting to take place so it can be shortened.

I will agree it does not eliminate the need to find the resource, but finding 10 of something is always less time consuming than finding 20.

Well that’s why it’s called progression. You progress to a higher state in which you can do things on your own better than you previously could. That’s what the Centraforge is for. I think once you have a smart stack of forged hammers, axes, and shovels you’ll be able to gather the stuff you need in a much shorter amount of time. That’s kind of the reward from forging better tools, wouldn’t you agree?

I don’t mind recipes being easier. Means I can sell more stuff a lot easier and that drives prices down across all shops. On top of that, I wouldn’t mind the recipes being easier so I can spend any of those resources on building stuff.

Iron is a pretty high demand resource though for building and crafting. /shrugs

I will agree progression should make it easier to gather the materials. I will also have to acknowledge I have a personal bias against the forge. I do not like the gambling mechanic and I was not thrilled with the removal of features from other tools. Go ahead and have the centraforge to buff tools, but I would have preferred it add to the existing tools than functions being removed. That was not the case and if I want to be at all successful I am going to have to cave in and spec a character that has the skill set use the forge. If I want to be independent that is my option.

And this is the issue, iron is used like copper to make alloys and also to make decorative blocks. Why does it need to be so much harder to find? Somewhat less common, yes it makes a better tool or weapon than copper.

I will also voice one additional concern. I may think there is an issue. I may voice my concerns (you no doubt already can see that). But I am not going to leave a bad review or drop the game. I think the developers will have a real issue if the resources people need to progress are perceived to be too rare or require to much effort once the game launches and we are flooded with new players (I hope we are flooded for the longevity of the game).

2 Likes

Do you think there might have been an error when the starter worlds were created around the resource distribution? Cause worlds like Lamblis have tons of iron all over the place.

World Regeneration might actually be an issue since it’s most likely affecting surface resources (Desert Sword use to be everywhere and that’s always going to be in high demand like iron and copper). So there could be some things that need to be tweaked a little to make it a lot better for every player. It was something that was brought up in today’s Community Hunt and it does make sense if that’s what’s happening.

Lamblis is a metal world.
Lush worlds have enough iron though (rugged tier that is). So, I don’t have problem with iron. Jump to silver/gold is too slow (meaning first worlds that have them, spawn too little and first trips to those worlds are just endless grind, no joy at all).

EDIT: for me basic error is unequal distribution of types of worlds. Some regions got metal and coal worlds of rugged level, while other have them on inhospitable level.

1 Like

To be honest, I do not like the fact that iron is so rare on the starter worlds, but with a minimal boost and maybe some consistency on altitude or biome (and I mean maybe 25% boost) I would say it accomplishes the goal of forcing players to advance to other planets. I understand that is what the developers want to accomplish.

I personally have not have not found Iron all over the place on Lambis or some of the other upper tier worlds planets. I have looked and hopefully asked enough questions about the prime altitude to not be looking in the wrong place. However, maybe I am looking in the wrong place. If that is the fact then I just have not done adequate research. If I have then I think it is too rare on t3 and up.

Iron is supposed to be average altitude metal, but i find it most between 30 and 50, although it’s not that bad on higher altitudes like 60-80 etc.

A lot depends on biomes. You can’t just dig in anywhere you like and expect it to be cool. It’s always good to try a few different areas.
As much as devs want resources distribution be different by worlds, they also want it differ by biomes on any given world. It’s not just exploration of worlds that is encouraged, but also exploration of regions on any given planet.

I had heard the same and would have agreed based on experience that the little success I had was at those altitudes.

Here is where we differ. It is only the first few that are going to have to explore and figure out where something is located. Once they do, that information is disclosed and then everyone will go immediately to those biomes and altitudes to look for the resource. So why not disclose that information (if true) now? By the launch on Sept 11. Everyone will have access to information on where everything is, if there is any pattern.

If it is not biome specific then the distribution should be equal across the planet. I have not used an atlas to determine the distribution as I have not explored any of the planets in their entirety yet. If it is equal then I think it is too rare.

If I mine at the correct altitude on a metal planet and collect over 2500 blocks, how many would you think should be Iron?

Lamblis, If I take a stack of hammers, I come back with 250 copper, 200 iron, about 20 silver, and about 2 gold, and about 50 techs remnants.

I use 3 atlas’s. I do notice silver loves being around iron more than it likes copper. Silver sweet spot seems to be altitudes 5-25. I would say for me, the altitude 15 and 20 are both rich in iron and silver. While copper is more than one could ever use.

As someone else said, “I’m swimming in iron”

1 Like

250 ish iron would do

lamblis earlier today, 4 iron hammers down, after 3 hours, 400’ish iron, 300’ish copper, and 350ish coal (skipped a lot of coal and copper, even a fair bit of iron), 4 tech component, 150’ish tech remnant (skipped a lot), 80 silver, and 10 gold. Mostly cave crawling with a few tunnels when run out of cave to find the next cave. and lots of surface resources

Need to make an atlas…

1 Like

You know you can remove the item from an atlas? :wink: :smiley:

You can stack atlases, items that go into them… it’s a bit different story :wink:

And I would be good with that. I got about half that a significant difference.

1 Like

My current ratio is 1.05 iron ore for every 1 rock I gather on Alnitans. Copper is way less at 0.17 copper per rock.

Are you bomb mining or strip mining?

Strip mining.

thank you

I will try it in a while

If you guys are still needing iron, then I got too much iron - I’d be willing to trade for wooden logs, and Fibrious Leaves !