Is boundlesstrade broken?

Nothing is up to date

Yes, yes it is

1 Like

It’s broken specifically because it’s being developed as an in-game feature. Having just a portion of the player base with access to it seriously impacts the game and economy, so it’s been deliberately blocked by the devs to make way for an in-game version.

1 Like

That is absolutely 100% not true!
You should retract your statement unless you can back it up with actual evidence. The real reasons have been publicly discussed numerous times, and can be easily found with a forum search.

1 Like

I only deal in facts, and I will retract nothing of the sort.

Here, a quote from @Simoyd in defense of this tools existence when it was first released.

It is a fact that it is currently being developed in the test servers. There is no need to continue support of the bot at this time.

It’s also a verifiable fact that the bot granted extra advantages to PC players whom used the bot over those whom did not. (This is the entire purpose of its existence. If it did not provide a service and an advantage, it would not have ever existed) Due to limitations of the PS4, those players whom played from PS4 were at an arguable disadvantage even when using this bot because they could not keep up-to-date pricing.

It also does not take much deductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that anyone who does not use this tool, either due to ignorance of its existence or unwillingness to engage with it, are therefore at a tremendous disadvantage economically as a result.

Having it in game available to all levels the playing field.

5 Likes

It’s not really a bot, and I don’t think I’ve seen any evidence of the devs actively blocking the program from doing what it was designed to do. It just hasn’t been updated with the patches, probably because simoyd was aware of WS developing their own in-game solution.

4 Likes

You’re right that “bot” is the wrong term for it. Scanner, tool, what ever description is most accurate.

Regardless of if it’s being blocked (as I previously understood from my own back channel conversations, so no I cannot/will not post that here) or is dead from deliberate neglect or a combination of both factors doesn’t change the fact that it is dead, and a WS version is currently in late stages of development.

2 Likes

Just semantics in the end. Hadn’t seen any public mention of the devs blocking it but then again I don’t have all the info so maybe it is. My own similar thing kind of still works so I hadn’t realised they could be blocking it.

3 Likes

I dont want to make trouble for our community’s mod makers, but I do know there is an unspoken line in the sand with regards to how far one can go in regards to how they obtain data. I also know that back end changes to secure the game against cheating (I’m not saying the trade tool was a cheat) broke many of these mods. These changes are wisely not publicly detailed.

3 Likes

I believe you’ve misunderstood some part of your back channel conversations, or someone has claimed credit for part of this that was not their doing.

Someone such as yourself saying that this has been deliberately blocked by the devs (if this is not true) can and will have negative implications when future projects are brought to light.

The following is an excerpt of the beginning of the conversation that lead to the final demise of the current BTN:

Simoyd [PS]08/14/2019

I feel like this whole scan/shop thing is kinda dead

is the site useful at all at this point?

[ICON] Undead08/14/2019

Not as much anymore since it is not fully functional

Simoyd [PS]08/14/2019

well I messaged fuzzy a few more times but it may be time to start looking at doing a new site

I dunno the languages and tech that fuzzy used

I don’t have the time/willpower to learn all that just for this

2 Likes

Are you able to name a single mod that has been purposely broken by the devs to prevent “cheating”? Because I’m calling BS on this comment as well.

I know there were changes some time ago which made things slightly more difficult, but afaik every single person making mods for Boundless would have stopped immediately had they been asked, and also afaik not a single mod or tool has entirely stopped working in the 9 months I’ve been playing, short of not being updated in line with game updates.

3 Likes

As far as i know, the whole reason the website hasn’t been updated yet is because one of the co-developers of the tool havn’t been playing/gone on hiatus.

It’s as simple as that, and has nothing to do with the devs or their actions; and simply saying “I know otherwise” without any kind of evidence except for “just because” isn’t a very good counterargument.

5 Likes

Yes, I can specifically name mods, their developers, and the function of those mods.

That person, and their multiple aliases are no longer active in this community.

You want specific and privileged information on who was cheating and how? No, I’m not sharing that information. Demand all you want, I wont budge on that. I’m not divulging sensitive information.

1 Like

lol ok then mate

Having been a community “leader” the last few years has given me access to a great deal of information that is not publicly available. Also, as a leader I have seen enough petty arguments and pointless debates to know that there are simply some things the community doesn’t need to know, and some conversations that are simply not worth continuing. This, is one of those conversations.

5 Likes

This is false.

The scanning client still works just fine but Fuzzy left the game and hasn’t been around for months thus why Boundless Trade hasn’t been updated and is stale and outdated now. I’m actively working on a new site called Boundless Commerce that will provide quite a few additional features on top of what’s on the test realm.

7 Likes

Lol this site.

Simoyd posts that the site is not getting fixed pending a new site(yours) then fallon posts that it is getting fixed.

Simoyd posts that the scanner is not working (same post tbh) and then you post that it is.

Disregarding what havok said as it may or may not be a side note - simoyd did not post why the scanner is broken on the forum only (AFAIK) that nobody seems to be using it and he’s tired of fixing it in discord.

No wonder there’s so much confusion.

I don’t care why (blocked / not blocked / whatever) but @Simoyd are you willing to bring some clarity to this?

Technically the scanner is broke right now. But the updates it needs are super minor. Just stuff that needs to be updated every patch. So in the grand scheme of things it’s not really broken per-say. The site is messed up so bad that it’s not worth the effort for me to do the minor update for the scanner. Technology/viability wise I think the scanner is still “working”. To my knowledge it hasn’t been blocked, but since the site has been busted, I haven’t bothered testing it again.

Right now we’re in a bit of a hold pattern until these new game features come out. I plan to spend some time next week to see if I can pull the same data the game in, and crawl over items/planets in a slow non-impacting way to centralise the data on some site still. A wild guess would be that they restrict planetary pricing data to the planet your character is logged into, which would require walking to each planet in-game to get the data instead of automating it offline, but again that’s a wild guess, we really need to wait and see.

The scanner client has been uploading the forge data for quite some time now (I made a post about it a while back that I"m too lazy to go find), but the site was never updated to look at it and to allow searching by it. The in-game feature does not currently deal with forged data, so it’s possible the scanner/site still has some use there too.

But again we need to wait and see what comes out in the release, and investigate what the API provides to determine next steps.

Like Havok said, I hope that these tools are not valuable in the end due to the game implementing them natively, but I think there’s still some gaps at this point that people would like. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a step in the right direction for the game but we’re not quite there yet =D.

Anything can happen.

4 Likes

Thanks. (ten chars)

3 Likes

There will probably be a need for a site that has better filters than in-game, maybe even a forge specific one, it might be viable even if the scans have to be manual.

4 Likes