Is concrete pointless..?

love me some concrete! Been hoarding and buying all the kindling mass and seeds I could find at a decent price. No arguments here with balance

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s necessarily the developers making decisions that are worthy of complaining about. It’s more or less them not giving adequate reasoning behind the decisions that they’ve made. When they start destroying entire gameplay style options in favor of something else, then it’s time to stand up and tell them it’s bullshit. We’ve already have seen that happen in the game.

We also don’t have perfect information and internal knowledge of what kind of discussions they’re having as a development team. We aren’t, not even Oortians backers in their weekly dev calls, given perfect information on what is going on. If they actually had a Community Manager and CM team that could communicate these things with us then that would go a long ways to relieving us of any sort of concerns, complaints, etc. that we want to have addressed, such as when we’re going to get Titans and rental worlds, along with a lot of other things.

Right now I do think the solution to handling the complaints and concerns along with all the questions people have is with a CM team. One that isn’t made up of players too. I don’t think we need more people who are players having positions above other players no matter how “awesome” they are.

EDIT: I do want to add that I kind of feel the addition of Kindling to concrete is kind of bizarre for a crafting mat when we have 3 different bonding agents in the game. To me, one of those bonding agents would have been a better application in the crafting recipe than a EXO specific resource with garbage max seed yields.

2 Likes

I think it’s the whole thought process that went into this recipe that I don’t understand… Why lock concrete behind an exo ingredient wall? And why make this crop have trash seed returns, further reinforcing the wall? For… concrete of all things.

Thank God no other “normal” recipes require exo drops lol :rofl:

1 Like

It escapes me why a real world building material that’s extremely common in construction is placed in this game as a mid to higher end tier block to craft. Concrete is used everywhere in today’s modern day construction. Hell, it’s even being used by massive 3D printing machines to create buildings and has been for several years now! So in a sandbox MMO, it kind of doesn’t make sense to make it more expensive to build with and Kindling Shreds are pretty expensive even for someone with a farm.

In fact, you’d have to have a giga-giant sized seed yield farm for Kindling just to produce enough seeds for a max crop yield Kindling farm. The time labor invested in managing that farm each week would be staggeringly stupid. You’re talking about spending time collecting from around 1000 blocks of Kindling across the seed and crop farms alone. That’s pretty stupid cause we don’t have a way to aoe plant crops and I don’t think we will for a long time.

Take into consideration that you’re crafting your sand and gravel by using Combustion (which makes no sense) and you’re easily adding 11.50 minutes(the math comes out roughly more than that but I want the numbers to be easy to understand). to each wave of Gravel mass crafts into Sand mass crafts. This is with a max power Compactor too. With that 100 Sand, that’s 2 mass crafts of Concrete. Another 11.50 minutes (roughly) of crafting time. This is of course if you’ve already spent the hours of collecting and replanting your Kindling farms so you can make more concrete next week of whatever color you want.

Granted, not everyone is going to craft their Sand or Gravel. In fact, I think the idea is pretty much a waste of time unless you want to get a certain color of concrete, like Rust Slate, because Sand doesn’t come in that color. So in that case you’d have to craft your Sand with Rust Slate colored Gravel in order to get your Rust Slate colored Sand to use in your concrete crafting so you can get your Rust Slate colored concrete.

Granted, all of this does add layers of cost to the end product and that’s something I don’t see a problem with. But incorporating a massive labor time cost at the very beginning or end of the concrete crafting is just a little daunting to me.

At least it’s how I sort of see it all. I don’t think Bonding Agent would have been better since that’s a processed end product item being added to another one. But these are just some of my random thoughts on it all.

1 Like

It’s new, so we don’t really know how it’ll play out once it’s been around for awhile. We have the benefit of a free market and the price will eventually settle in to a good place.

It’s cool to see a farming product that is actually in demand though, since the supply of regular farming products is through the roof.

1 Like

Some of the decisions boggle my mind. The BASE crop should produce two seeds per plant, regardless of the plant. One to use, one to replant.

1 Like

I think the demand for better Spark fuels is where it’s at. Then again, that’s also a lot of processing going on and if you were to use your Combustion and Kindling for that compared to concrete making, you’d be pressed hard very fast to be able to not spend your entire day managing your EXO farm from harvesting and planting. You’re talking about thousands of blocks worth of crops and seeds being collected and replanted.

Farming is about the only thing I’d be okay with charging people a labor cost for and I don’t think it would be cheap too.

I do agree though it’s nice to see them at least trying to incorporate farming items into crafting recipes to make them useful. Even if it turns out being temporary.

I think their argument with that is to help balance the game and all that; which in that case doesn’t add up with Goo farms since you can’t hit past 90% seed yield and that renders trying to run one of those farms a complete waste of time.

To make matters worse, out of a 648 block Kindling Farm that maxes out on seed yield, you will only yield an extra 32 and maybe 33 seeds if you’re lucky. That’s cause the max seed yield is 105%. That 5% amounts of almost nothing. Farming Epic doesn’t give a bonus to seed yield and only 20% to crop yield. Combustion farms aren’t much better and it’s mandatory that you run a seed and crop yielding farm for both Combustion and Kindling in order for them to be self-sustaining.

Both of which are necessary if you plan on simply crafting Sand and Gravel for concrete along with getting a steady supple of Kindling Shred too. That’s literately hours of harvesting and replanting crops. Mind boggling isn’t exactly the way I’d describe that. lol

2 Likes

This is the kind of stuff that has kept me from coming back. Stop drip feeding resources. Just let me build.

6 Likes

+1 this. Some people have 1,000 plot builds they’re trying to prepare for… Understandably, it is unrealistic to try and build out of sapphires, but concrete!? Come on lol. Too much trickle, not enough Cow Bell.

4 Likes

My first building project, which I’ve been taking a stupid long amount of time to getting around to working on, requires dozens of smart stacks of Rust Slate concrete. So guess who’s going to have to craft Rust Slate sand in order to make Rust Slate concrete? This guy.

I don’t even have Kindling farms up and running right now. I have to go build them first and that requires a smart stack of Kindling Kernals which I only have about 10% of. lol

But this game doesn’t have grind. :roll_eyes:

At least it isn’t difficult to find Rust Slate gravel.

1 Like

How hard is that stuff to just gather?

Shouldn’t be surprised, since we need mid-high tier resources or a forged shovel to get…water.

Might finish all my posts with that from now on. It’ll be months before I get to use a solid amount of concrete, and that will probably come after I whine enough about kindling shreds that one of my guild mates will toss me a bunch. That’ll shut me up then I’ll just be one less person on here supporting this sentiment… part of the problem.

I have 1 single kindling shred and doubt I’ll feel like hitting another exo to grind for mats til I’m done with my current 4 builds, which will take me a while as I’ll have to grind for specific colors as I develop the look.

… Just let me build.

1 Like

You talking about Rust Slate gravel and rocks?

Not very hard if you can find a high concentrated area of the stuff.

Nah, that concrete ingredient.

Kindling only spawns on EXOs in caves from what I’ve been able to notice. Depending on the EXO, it’s going to involve a lot of mining too. So there’s a lot of down time between when you get Kindling spawns.

Yuck.
Too much stuff shoved onto exo worlds.

4 Likes

maybe they got to start doing someting like this

I don’t think that takes is far enough.

I want to know a detailed reasoning why Kindling Shred is part of the Concrete recipe.

1 Like

fair point :slight_smile:

Easy enough answer, everything needs to hit a grind quota.