Is footfall broken?

No, because it’s been like this since first ever implemented :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh. But am I right? :wink:

If this behavior (code/configuration) has been the same since initial implementation, something else must be causing the drop in footfall income.

Well it appeared during the last patch. So something in the patch changed footfall.

Yeah, potentially. Could also be explained by player behavior, though. And the 24 day cooldown bug luca found may explain that

Theory: the same set of players uses your road, and the number of unique players (in that 24d window) has plateaued out

1 Like

That does seem to be a bit of it. Still think there is something else. Cause it magically happened all at once right after a patch. Putting the puzzle together would be leaning towards a patch issue.

1 Like

Wouldnt there be logs on the beacon that could confirm that?

But more importantly, i thought i was being clever setting up a hub with 4 beacons from seperate alts in a square in middle… thinking 4 times the footfall. They all share permissions… did i just make it so i have to go to 4 seperate places to collect the same amount i would be getting with 1?

No. The way I understand it, each character counts differently for the footfall. Since it’s based on character and not account.

nothing has changed, whatsoever with footfall or its configuration in the last patch, or the last several patches. The last change I can see in any code or data to do with footfall or its config etc is from May.

1 Like

From what I’m reading, absolutely nothing about footfall has changed which is a good thing.

However, reality is telling a different story… I’m going to test a few other things to see if I can figure out what exactly is causing this glitch where some players literally can’t generate footfall on certain beacons. My lava bridge beacon that used to generate 500+ coins per day dropped to about 80 (likely due to whatever glitch Wolfpack and I discovered) BUT today I check it and it’s at 1200’ish coins in the box which is about where it should be for a couple days of footfall… I had stopped checking it for maybe 2 or 3 days.

At this point it’s not even about the coins, it’s the principle :joy: I just want to help fix the problem or glitch. If nothing has changed with the code, either something in the last patch nudged a decimal out of place or some other mysterious problem with a seemingly unrelated piece of code is making players invisible to beacons.

Thanks for the replies, it answers all the questions I was trying to test in the first place!

1 Like

Well I do know for a fact there has been changes. 2 patches after launch footfall was cut in half. And now it feels like it was cut in half again. It wasn’t a change in number of players. I figured the first cut was on purpose because even I would agree it was too much.

Well, I never had tested it before two weeks ago, so all I can say for certain is that it is NOT 24 hours right now, and if it was supposed to be, then certainly that would count as it being broken. So it seems like it’s been broken for quite a while :smiley:

24 days eh? Well… I hope that will get changed to the intended 24 hours. :smiley:
On the bright side, it seems from my testing that the cooldown gets cleared for all characters whenever the world with the beacon goes offline, and with the frequent patching I don’t think it ever got to 24 days yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Another second interesting finding then is that aberrant second footfall generation after 48 hours with one of the test characters. So, something in the code somewhere may be clearing the cooldown earlier than it should, which might generate way too much once it gets properly set to 24 hours if people figure out how to abuse it. Might be worth a look.

Unless someone walking on the ‘reserved’ surface above an underground beacon generated footfall and I didn’t notice, but that seems unlikely.

2 Likes

the cooldowns on footfall dont persist into the world state, so any server crashes/updates etc will clear it all.

2 Likes

Well, thanks for taking the time to check my findings. I’m glad I was able to help you guys catch that slight mistake. :slight_smile:

Perhaps in that 2-3 days period the server crashed or went offline for whatever reason without you noticing, clearing the cooldown again.

I think server stability might be what actually caused the drop and led more people to notice the problem. How’s that for irony? :slight_smile:

1 Like

So basically you nerfed footfall by making servers more stable!

Now everyone, shout with me: BRING BACK SERVER CRASHES!

:crazy_face:

13 Likes

That would explain the footfall thing. Finata had a lot of crashes in the last month. So if it’s 24 days but every crash/patch wipes the timer, then this would explain why the footfall is going down so fast.

So if it’s a 24 day timer, you guys are gonna fix it right…?

2 Likes

Would also explain why I get pennies on Delta, only known it to have crashed once since release…

2 Likes

So the server being more stable means less footfall for us?

3 Likes