Keep your "macros" to your self

I went fishing for comments some months ago - this thread honestly started as more of a personal rant.

Direct comment from the devs would probably give a few people pause. IDK how much it would stop though since games with explicit policies and investments into anti-botting still have constant problems with this.

It is interesting to note the change in tone (and volume) of the comments/responses though.

Might just be the more dramatic title :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Or people just bored and on the forums more.

1 Like

Logging out people being idle isnā€™t the answer to thisā€¦ I am surprised it keeps getting brought up.

In the end you can never stop people that want to cheat or lack the integrity to decide to choose to not cheat when something is hard or unfair or whatever. Instead we should just focus on removing things that give them the incentive. Make the game more fair, solves the higher objectives people are doing, and is fun enough that you donā€™t have to cheat.

I think removing regen bombs would cause even more issues then it would solve, personally.

5 Likes

i know i had sworn myself off of posting on the forums but just need to make a post here for my own sanity

the devs can and more then likely should ban the use of 3ed party porgrams that are used to make bots (IE autohotkey)

the devs cant and is impossible to ban the use of basic level macros to do this they would either have to

A. cut support for PC and just make boundless playstation only

or

B. ban every player that owns a logitech or razer keyboard or mouse has ā€œmacroā€ functions are built into the fundamental software for those peripherals and even then you can save the functions in the keyboards onboard memory and run them without even needing the software running

sure if someone useā€™s the basic macros to create a jankey afk bot then they can be manually banned but anti cheat cant detect it (for the reason i stated above) and depending on how the software works if the game thinks the user is hitting the keys and not the software then a afk timer would not work.

2 Likes

they tricking you guys into finding solution

Honestly, Iā€™m a PS4 player and I donā€™t really mind if PC players use macros.

4 Likes

I am not promoting removing regen bombs. Iā€™m promoting removing the loophole they offer that is being taken advantage and hurting the game, economy, and enable cheaters.

Could you be more specific about this loophole?

1 Like

Even if itā€™s not to offer an immediate solution, a response from @james or @SamF about their official stance towards this type of behavior would go a long way. If thereā€™s nothing then Iā€™m going to assume that theyā€™re tolerant of it and Iā€™ll be happy enough to spend my time and energy on other games.

Putting them in a tight spot man. Do you really need to see them say that it would be extremely expensive to develop or subscribe to anti-macro software or whatever technical ā– ā– ā– ā–  they would need, and that it would be even more extremely difficult to find macro users and prove they werenā€™t just obsessively gathering for one reason or another? Because if they said that then it would also kind of look like they donā€™t careā€¦ so why would they respond?

Banning active players should be the lowest priority on the devsā€™ list, below deleting aoe and regen and requiring a passcode to continue playing. All terrible ideas.

If you are referring to macro use, I think you might be hard pressed to find a online game that punishes its users for macro use. Unless you are going to enter the realm of eSports.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty hard line but yeah, fair enough.

Theyā€™re actively supportive of software that violates the plain language of their and their distributorā€™s ToS so thereā€™s that. TBH itā€™s a topic for another thread though. Thereā€™s already people derailing he conversation regarding botting by constantly pointing the finger at the ā€˜modsā€™ they allow.

So far, for me, my pleasure from the game overall outweighs my worry about what other players are doing.

But as to how these things affect game balance, Weā€™re already at the point where things like a mass craft of ornate glass (50 panes) requires entire smart stacks of other base materials. When things reach the point where a casual player canā€™t possibly acquire or afford even midlevel materials without botting something the whole thing is likely to tank.

It seems there are plenty of people who donā€™t feel thatā€™s an issue, though. Only time will tell.

1 Like

Just to re-clarify for you again the topic of the thread isnā€™t limited to the strict definition of a macro in the technical sense, but more focused on where the line is crossed into botting, which scripts are being distributed and referred to in common parlance as ā€œmacrosā€.

Hence the quotation marks.

hence why I said

Because if he is indeed referring to boting, then it is quite clear already how the devs feel about it by their behavior of adding what they called ā€žBot Protectionā€œ that nerfs exp when repetitive actions are taken. Why would they take steps to try and nerf the behavior if they supported it?

Actions speak louder then words in my book, and the action of them trying to deal with the boting situation should be good enough for anyone, that the devs do not like boting.

1 Like

Goes back to read op

^^ ā€œSo farā€.

Someone above noted that they had just made an assumption that I was botting in my sap farm.

Now, tbh even if thereā€™s no value in it I do like a bit of acknowledgement, if not appreciation, for what I put my time and efforts into. If thatā€™s metered in thanks, or virtual coins, or whatever, it is what it is. There are literally millions of blocks in builds around the game that Iā€™ve either sold or given away.

When the baseline assumption is that thereā€™s a bot involved, itā€™s no longer something that Iā€™m interested in.

Likewise when someone else can log in for 5 minutes, execute a script that someone else gave them, and go to work while their computer outproduces my hours of gameplay, itā€™s no longer something that Iā€™m interested in.

With that said, ā€œso farā€ I donā€™t really thinks thatā€™s the baseline. And Iā€™m here discussing it, rather than just walking away.

5 Likes

Yea, someone did assume that, because someone canā€™t begin to fathom what could be fun about chopping a tree for hours while someone watches netflix. Thatā€™s fine though because there are tons of ways to play the game so if someone had been doing that someone else would have understood why because sitting in one spot for a long period of time playing a video game and then having to find something to watch on netflix to get through it is pretty mind boggling.

My first post. The game, supposedly about building, is an excruciating grind. Thatā€™s not fun to a lot of people (look at our population).

If we are talking about farming blocks and regen farm

I donā€™t think it would be that extreme. The players inv will get full, and the moment that happens, the script will fail to do anything of value. Therefore your hours of game play very well could outproduce their script which will fail after an undefined amount of time. and they will still be at work.

The player would have to create their own script that is tailored to their own situation to get around this. and the more complex it is the more chances there are something will fail

And before someone jumps off the deep end
I do not support or agree with boting,
That is not what my statement is trying to do.

to reply to @DutchOfSorissi, @Trundamere, and @Nightstar
I am not talking about mods. Just the scripts I believe @majorvex talked about including turning blocks to glass, highlighting specific materials (such as umbris), or giving specific coordinates for rare materials and anything that involves afk playing (botting).

And yes, Iā€™d like an official stance on things even if they canā€™t easily implement restrictions or punishments just to know where the devs stand. Knowing their perspective on it tells me if theyā€™re a company I want to continue to support or if itā€™s time to respect our differences and go down different paths.

Iā€™ve always thought Boundless had immense potential which is why Iā€™ve supported it for years. But things like forging and the coin machine thing have me scratching my head while things I would consider key like Titans and Wearables have been MIA even at a conversation level for literally years. So if the devs arenā€™t on the path I thought they were or donā€™t have the same values I have then itā€™s fine. Iā€™d just like to know.

2 Likes