Kranut seed loss

Hello,

I just harvested my kranuts at 160% crop and 100% seed, but I’m losing seeds.

I’m down 9 seeds from one harvest. I’m on alnitans at portalis observatory. I harvested 185 blocks of kranut and lost 9 seeds.

2 Likes

You may have accidentally missed picking up seeds. I’ve missed one or two before this way, but found it by walking back.

100% is the average you’ll get over a long period of time, since there’s rng involved. 100% could mean the actual chance is 90% - 110%, but we don’t know the exact variance.

I’m not convinced it works that way. I tuned all my fields to have exactly 100% seed yield and I never got extra seeds or less even once. I’m always starting with an empty inventory.

(The character I’m using to harvest has all the farm skills, no idea if this matters for seeds.)

4 Likes

Really? Something must be off in my tests then, or they changed it (it was before the farming release I tested it). Disregard the previous post in that case.

There is one thing I noticed but never tested, though.
When harvesting you sometimes destroy tilled soil at random and that could (depending on setup) lower the yield of the next crop you harvest without noticing. Especially when harvesting fast.

5 Likes

That’s probably it! Would explain my results at least.

I have thought this has happened a few times but not all the time probably because there was sometimes still enough tilled soil to not change the ratio. I ignored it but now that someone else has noticed it, maybe we need to find out for sure if this is true. If it is then I think the soil becoming untitled needs to be removed. It it an unnecessary time sink anyway and if now as I harvest I have to stop and refill then it is even worse as I will be switching tools to do so.

2 Likes

My main gripe with soil being un-tilled, is that tilling soil gives no XP whatsoever.

I guess the primary reason it was added was to prevent tillers from becoming obsolete once all fields are setup.

I use the tiller to harvest the crops which means I can instantly re-till any that need it plus there’s no danger of damaging any of the blocks. The down side is they can’t be forged for AOE etc which means they are pretty slow but I don’t have a particularly large farm so it’s not really an issue for me.

I can see that, but really think there needs to be a better reason than that when it starts affecting yields while harvesting or they just need to make it so the tiller is the only tool that can harvest.

1 Like

You can use the default totem that is free to craft, since it’s too weak to break blocks in one hit, can be forged, and does break the crops in one hit. That’s what I do. :joy:

2 Likes

Same which is why I would have to switch tools in the middle of harvesting to till soil in order to maintain my harvest ratios.

1 Like

I agree if this is what is happening it is very misleading and is causing the percentages to be misleading. Maybe this is what is happening, but even so, then it is very annoying.

I thought that one of the crops had a rounding error. So it says 100% but it is actually 99% or something

Just tried the retilling comment from above. Harvested my kranut farm slowly. To make sure I gathered all seeds, i also retilled soil before moving on to harvesting the next plant. I still lost 11 seeds during this harvest.

I think this needs to be looked at. The values are misleading or incorrect. If it says 100% I should have no seed loss.

1 Like

Yes they are useless I have the same…It’s green but not much return

Btw I have tried all tools…makes no difference at all…It’s actually extremely frustrating…almost made want quit farming straight away…some recently told me other plants are easier. So i am back on farming

Maybe it is a bug with kranuts. I have not seen this on any other crop.