Launch Steam Reviews

I’m not sure if you know this, but the servers the mmo runs on have to be paid for whether you play or not. Your items in world just by sitting there the bill is running. Thus they still have to collect revenue whether your playing or not to keep the worlds online. It is different if it is self hosted multiplayer, or single player. They just used plots to shift the financial burden from everybody (sub) to the power players but to make it work they had to add incentives which is why see the backlash.

1 Like

Just updated my review. Thanks for the heads up as I didn’t think to use the review page to address this recent issue:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/jackeloko/recommended/324510

please don’t throw around assumptions like that. I’m not an idiot. I know how things work. you asked me for my reason and I gave it to you. I am also pretty tight on cash. If i could give them more money I would, it is a fantastic game. and because of that, there will be plenty of people that will gladly pay for gleam club and renting servers and future people buying the game. I am simply one of the people that would gladly pay more money up front than have to pay continuously.

6 Likes

How could I have phrased that to be more polite?

1 Like

The world is not ending. Perception is not a sole driver of sales, despite what the keyboard warriors want to say.

In general, a game with a higher review score will sometimes sell better. There is a correlation that can be drawn, but there are huge swings of outliers which push the averages close together.

In truth, we have no idea how those reviews will impact sales…even analysts that review the data don’t know.

What we can do is update our steam reviews and be thoughtful.

Anything else is pure speculation/imagination. Just update your steam reviews and let the dust settle. All the decisions have been made at this point.

8 Likes

I said this already in February. I win.

Edit:
Disclaimer for everyone to lazy to do their homework before posting:
My comment was a reply to this thread. NOT to the Exchange which was btw. introduced 3 months later.

3 Likes

I tip my hat to you. You definitely beat me lol.

2 Likes

The damage was done when they made everything focus around the exchange. There is no indicators that you gain cubits per level, and you are immediately asked within a few minutes of starting to “buy plots with cubits”.

So more then likely the damage has been done. Which i’m fine with, I felt there were too many people around lately. Especially bomb miners.

4 Likes

ok I know it really is not funny, but I did get a chuckle out of this.

3 Likes

It was meant to be funny :wink:

Unfortunately Bomb Miners are the ppl that stayed long enough to know and like the game. :grin:

2 Likes

all mostly positive now,

6 Likes

True, I still think what I said

3 Likes

It’s been bouncing between that and mixed - don’t give up now!

4 Likes

Good GDC talk on this topic btw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy0Dfr-mnUY

2 Likes

What stupid bullcrap. I was shocked just now to even hear there was negative reviews. I am an older person and have played thousands of games and I am very picky. Even if I don’t like a particular bug or something not quite balanced, there is no way it’s worthy of a bad review.

9 Likes

I have a suggestion. For everyone of us in here who feels Boundless deserves more go, into the review section and start up voting more fair and positive reviews. If everyone who sees this makes like 5-10 votes, things will be better.

4 Likes

I’ve been up-voting positive/accurate/truthful reviews and leaving comments regarding misleading statements about microtransactions.

4 Likes

I find it funny that some people in this very forum consider buying plots ‘pay to win’… I’m not sure what plot owners are winning at. Making large builds? :stuck_out_tongue:

A pittance from footfall that might buy perhaps two whole refined gems from player shops per day? :slight_smile:

As long as a reasonable number of plots can be acquired in a timely fashion by regular play, that is, enough so that the average player can have their own reasonably sized builds, I don’t see the problem. And that seems to be the case, certainly.

I find it unlikely that every single player will need 5000+ plots (or be able to finish building on those plots) within a month. If everyone owns their own city, they would all be deserted.

Sorry for the derail but I had to throw this out there on this topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Ech…There is small difference between stand alone single player or local multiplayer game and any MMO. Servers fees are considerable higher. At some point number of people who buy game will not cover amazon price for data center, not to mention patches and expansions. Than either devs pay for the server as charity or some kind of revenue must be created or game just shut down. One time pay will always run out at some point -.-.
This is why most mmos has either subscription fee, shop in game or both.
Boundless has not much player base and without steady revenue stream this game will shut down rather quick.
This is why most of us want this “cancer” in the game.

2 Likes