Let anyone fuel portals

There is probably a reason this can’t be done. I played for the fist time in about 3 months and the portal hub I used to use is completely dead. Thought to myself it would be nice if I could add fuel to these dead portals.

12 Likes

Why wouldn’t you just open a portal?

U would run the risk of people greifing the ort out or closing portal to make more traffic for them

He only mentioned adding oort, not the ability to remove it or close the portal.

I’m not sure if the game currently allows for one way interactions with storages however I would believe that the shop stands / request baskets have similar function. What if anyone could interact with a portal, but if they don’t have builder permission in that beacon the GUI is different and allows for donation of oort that goes directly into the portals fuel storage?

4 Likes

I.understood what he said

Then possibly I don’t understand what you mean by closing the portal or griefing the oort out

3 Likes

I think he meant if ppl had perms to remove oort or close the portal

Just nvm. Dk understands. Besides I was answering the post

I don’t think you do.

He mentioned simply adding the ability for others to add fuel, not for them to take out or close portals.

It would be 100% impossible for random people to close the portal or take fuel - only add it, therefore making it impossible to abuse or cause grief though.

7 Likes

Well, that’s an issue that can be easily worked out, though.
In the current version of the game, take a scenario where you don’t have the permissions to interact with a portal (besides crossing it if it’s open).

Then imagine a similar scenario where this no-permission state still allows you to donate oortshards to fuel a portal, but does not allow you to take any oortshards out, this could be very interesting.
Another way to show you like a place, by offering oort to one of its portals. I would love this, as someone who argued for a way to allow people to show how much they like a place, as opposed to the prestige-based system which is just pointless and mostly creates conflicts and prestige-wars.

Now imagine a Boundless universe where oortstones would be more common than they currently are (they could be acquired from more diverse activities, for instance), so that people would be more opened to donate them.

Imagine a Boundless universe where people would actually donate oortshards to portals to keep them fuelled if they think the place is cool enough, especially when the actual owner can’t really afford to spend the time to do it himself/herself (a category in which I fall into).

Currently, really, who donates anything in the baskets where there is 0 coin price on purpose (the donation baskets)? In my case, someone may have donated like one oortshard, once. Yay.

Worst case scenario, donating Oortshards could give you XP points or offer progress in a daily chest in the exchange, so that the people who donates actually get something out of it too.

But maybe it would have to be balanced so that people don’t donate for the reward, otherwise it slightly defeats the purpose of a donation (kinda like how charity gives you a tax deductions in real life). Still works for the person who gets the donation, though.

10 Likes

That is what I had in mind

5 Likes

I like the idea of people helping out, but if they are closed/dead portals who’s to say there is anything on the other side existing anymore? If its a hub, the token was sold to the person on the other side as well so therefore those dead portals have no destination known they could connect to from that side. Your best bet in that situation would probably be to open your own portal wherever that hub is.

I like your donation idea though! I think it would work in situations where the fuel is low. I have a little donation basket for that purpose labeled “Tips” but I haven’t got any yet lol.

1 Like

I believe this has been suggested a few times. I would like the option, and ability to do this, but portals would still be able to randomly close if the beacon runs out (turns into ash).

So while this would punt the ball down the field as it were, then people would want to be able to donate to a beacon to keep it fueled too, you know so a hub can live forever, or one of those awesome tree houses or what not… and maybe they would want to be able to make changes or add to it, since they kept it fueled, but of course that’d prevent it from going to reclaim for the original owner, or potentially turn into an exploit for farming hard to get blocks… I just see a string of problems coming from this.

It just feels like a slippery slope with only marginal gains… but that is just my opinion, personally I’ve not been playing enough for months to consider even my own opinion to be important on the matter lol.

1 Like