Let us see time remaining on another player's beacon (poll)

Even if don’t like the idea on general.
I would love to see the remaining time and be able to fuel beacons of friends without permissions.

1 Like

Wouldn’t people just log in a few minutes before the beacon expires?

What chaos would possibly occur?

Explain why, that’s why.

How many hard rules does this game need?

I thought this game was about building community, looks to be for some it is all about control.

You will not control my beacon. I will build my plot as I see fit. My fire shall never go out. I shall beacon everywhere. If only to build a sign which reads:

“pa owns this plot. no time to care for it. gclub for the win.”

1 Like

So you and I log in to get the same beacon and I beat you to it. How does that make you feel? What might you do to get back at me? Or what if I get 1 plot, you another, and the 20 other plots are now spread out with the 20 other people that were able to grab things. Now we have plots all spread out.

This doesn’t even include the people that will now use things to try to just stand there and grab a plot with bot techniques for hours on end.

We have seen both those situations happen for real. At the end of the year we had hundreds of beacons expire all within a week of each other… it was madness as people scrambled to secure the best spots and caused a lot of fights over “loot” that is easily achievable in this game because everything can be mined and created. Basically freely.

1 Like

No thanks - I don’t think people seeing beacon fuel is a good idea unless you allow them to see it via permissions… those with the permission to see the fuel level are generally already friends with you… people you could trust to claim it for you, thus giving you more of a chance to get your stuff back.

3 Likes

I won’t read all the answers, but just want to point out that it wouldn’t be that useful since player can get back on last 5 seconds and add more fuel. What’s the point? One more thing to burden devs and client/server resources with.

6 Likes

I agree with spyogg and I also don’t understand why I am compelled to defend my “no” stance just because I disagree with your view @CreativeWorlds.

My no is because of what @Spoygg has already said and because I am thinking, what business is it of anyone else if they are interested in someone’s plot of claimed land. They werent there first, its not theirs, move along and find somewhere else. Why obsess over who plotted where and how long? Its too much obsession with others and not enough self motivation to go attain for yourself. If they are blocking your build, communicate. If you want their resources, get your own. To me, the whole issue comes down to selfishness. You wernet there first, get over it.

5 Likes

^ this. It would be better to get better communication tools instead remaining time. Beacon fire dying out was meant to be visual help to the owner not to others.

edit: And just to repeat, it’s completely useless to anyone beside beacon owner, if someone haven’t been around for months it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have reminder set, or that he will not pay gleam club or whatever.

To be honest I’d love to have fire/smoke removed for others’ beacons, it usually looks awful in build :joy:

2 Likes

I’d feel bad I wasn’t quick enough, but at least we all had a fair chance, and then I’d know how long their beacon would last and could decide if I wanted to move somewhere else.

People grief regardless. There’s goin’ to be no end to the possible situations that might cause such things, I don’t think knowing beacon fuel time is going to cause any more griefin’ than the current angst created by the current game.

I never “compelled” you to do anything, I politely asked people to provide reasons because:

This is a forum.

If someone’s build was about to expire and 30 people hopped on a server there is a chance I would get locked off my home planet, since its nearly always at 70+. Groups might even try to do it on purpose to make sure they couldn’t fill it. Some of us already have millions of presige and coins worth of items, so it wouldn’t be surprising for folks to sit there as a timer counted down taking up server slots from the normal population. It could get frustrating.

Any night just look up at the other planets and press B. The idea of a single person being able to ruin my fun is kind of crazy. There is so much empty space out there.

2 Likes

Honestly’, how often do you think that would realistically occur? It seems like your scenario is true in a vacuum.

People already get blocked off their home planet, this seems like a scenario that highlights the need for fixes to the planet population limits, as opposed to a reason against beacon time.

Edit There’s a lot that could be done to fix the home planet limits, and I think the devs definitely need to address it, but from what I’ve read, if it’s your home planet, you get priority, so the scenario you described couldn’t actually occur.

Constantly. For every beacon that is worth anything.

2 Likes

Having people camp a build happened in pre release. If you make it easy by putting up a timer that tells folls when free stuff will be available, don’t be shocked when a group of people makes it yhier part time job.

1 Like

How long did they camp the build? If someone knew a build was going offline in exactly 10 days, 5 hours, why would they camp it for longer than 1 hour before it goes offline?

There are ways to camp a plot for a week without ever being at their computer. I’m not going to post how they did it.

Edit: Good devs made it much harder. The problems might resurface with timers.

Why would you do that though? What possible advantage would that give you? If a plot goes offline in 10 days, why waste 10 days of your life sitting on that plot, when someone could show up 9 days and 23 hours beforehand and have just as fair a chance?

I’m tryin’ to understand this.

Because it is worth enough. Lets say the PS hub in Biitula is the target or one of the large workshops full of machines, power coils, storage (gems and rarer metals). It would be worth it to some people and there are groups of people that do nothing but grief games. . This would make it really easy for them.

1 Like

If you knew that thousands of hours of gems and rare materials were available and you had a chance to secure it in the next 7 days, which is the current system, and you could do it while you were at work or on a second account…would you?

Then I am responding to your thread on a forum with a polite request for a thorough defense of your position since it seems to mean so much to you. Please give examples.

1 Like