Let's Talk About Forge Baby, Let's Talk About RNG

The addition of rental planets has been :star_struck: a-m-a-z-i-n-g & the new Exo is a :heart_eyes: dream…but it seems like we don’t have enough forgers to keep up with the demand.

I don’t think we should get rid of the forge or make everything as easy as tossing things into an enchantment table :wink:, but maybe there is something that can be added so that more people use the forge.

For now we have:

• Forge God: You have a doctorate in forging. You can forge a perfect lucent tool/weapon. You have minions that bring/sell you all the precious supplies & ingredients that are needed. Oortlings gladly pay any price for your Mjölnir. We are not worthy.

• Journeyman: You usually get what you want when you forge. You create stacks of excellent 3x3 AOE gem gear & even forge Wayfarer Totems. You have a lot of happy repeat/loyal customers. We always need more of you.

• Apprentice: You just started learning how to forge. You don’t have a steady supply of the needed resources. On some days, the forge frowns upon you so heavily that you avoid it for days/weeks at a time. You really want to forge, but the frustration is strong.

Maybe more players would like to forge if X?
If this is you, what is X?

Should forging wood/stone/metal gear require the same methods/resources as forging top-of-the-line gem or lucent gear?
Wouldn’t it be better to have some sort of progression towards a Master Forger that increases in difficulty/resources?

• I like it the way it is.
  • I forge.
  • I don’t forge.
  • I would like to forge.
  • I forge, but I don’t like it.
  • Friyaay

0 voters

:mag_right: TLDR; I think more people would forge items if there was more progression & the ingredients were more appropriate for the type of gear being forged. ie: a noob wood hammer shouldn’t require the same resources as a lucent hammer.

10 Likes

The forge is the only thing (well, game mechanic) in this game that has made me rage.

9 Likes

I’m curious if the stats are as low on PS4

2 Likes

forging could be combined with a mechanic where player builds their tool out of parts (rod, head, binding., spikes, blade, etc…) like tinkers’s construct mod in MC

different materials have different properties, and can be combined (e.g.: silver tool rod, sapphire axe head, blink binding… fast, low durability, medium damage, blink adds 50% more times it can be repaired…)

forging is still a thing, but there is a non RNG way to make a tool that is customized in function and visually

player could make an emergency 3x3 hammer that is very heavy and slow, maybe doesn’t stack with other tools…

4 Likes

For a long time I was an advocate of the forging system as it is but have always been open to the fact that there was a lot of room for improvement. I enjoyed experimenting, discovering and improving the methods I was using…

… however it has now got to the point that the only thing left to battle is the RNG. I’m sure I dont know absolutely everything there is to know, but I’m confident I’ve got most of it so the joy of experimenting and discovery is gone.

So I support what your proposing. In particular the fact that a wood hammer is as hard/expensive to forge as a gem one is an issue. And the fact that so few forge is a big sign that it is too much of a chore for many to learn and for most who do learn to stick at it. If they can develop a system that doesnt just result in another crafting machine, is “fun” and rewards those who become “masters” then that will be the dream fulfilled.

7 Likes

I stopped forging because people started selling forged items for stupid low prices. And there is nothing we can do about it because “everyone has a price for their fun”, so I guess this is the result of that.

4 Likes

My biggest issue with forging is the rng.
I wish it were more acurate with what gums you put in, I don’t like getting glow trait when I’m trying to get aoe or extra damage

I forge my own stuff, but I always dread having to do it :blush:

3 Likes

That’s actually at 7,5% on the PlayStation :blush:

2 Likes

I do think 300+ forged gear should fetch higher prices than they do now. That may be part of the problem as to why some don’t bother making them.

If I can choose between a 3x3 AOE titanium hammer for 2500c and a 3x3 AOE diamond hammer for just 500-1000c more…I’m going to buy the gem hammer.

There should be more of a difference between the speed/power/longevity/etc. so that they can be priced accordingly.

2 Likes

I think increased durability should be a passive increase as rating increases for forged gear and not one of the ones you need to target.

2 Likes

I was trying to keep prices more less consistent with their “tier” like gem bows with multi shot and lots of damage for 15k because that’s premium gear for those who can afford it. And I was doing great.

Then shops started to pop-up with similar bows for half the price, that turned me off completely from the forge, it was already a pain to face the rng trying to get something decent but the coin I was getting was good enough.

Doing it for half the price? I would be crazy to even get near my forge.

5 Likes

This would be cool. Tinkerer’s construct brought a lot of interesting mixing to the game.

1 Like

Having tiered jobs that you can get “job” experience would be really cool. To get “class” perks to make your products more interesting.

1 Like

I have been thinking that forged items should be a direct reward from people investing time.in the game not pure rng.

Something like:
(We would need a higher level cap for this)

I get a miner or gatherer to lvl100 then I can access higher level planets with the rarest materials.

Then I bring back those materials and use my high level crafter to process them, hell that could even be a long process of multiple steps.

Once I have the materials processed I should be able to forge exactly what I need without any stupid rng involved.

That way I think all tools would be perfectly split between different level gaps.

3 Likes

I would vote for that, I want the first meteor claymore when they add it to the game!

I mean most of rpg games I’ve played lock all the gear behind character level, and that works amazing.

You can either use the base tools and change them as soon as you level up. Or you could invest in making a super OP tool and don’t change it for as many levels as you think it’s still useful.

2 Likes

since release I thought forging should have been recipe based. No RNG involved at all. Increase the mat prices to offset the fact that RNG will be gone, as RNG is what leads to the huge dumping of materials in to forge ingredients. Just increase the mat costs, and give it a defined value.

3 Likes

I think the price of gem gear (back in 2018) was just about right…10k-20k. Buyers had to work up the coin to buy the top tier items. Everyone bought/used metal or unforged gear until then.

Not knocking anyone that chooses to do so, but I cringe a bit when I see gem forged gear for 1000c-4900c. I wonder if the forger has given up and is just liquidating, if they felt pressured to drop their prices, if they still plan to forge anymore. They put a lot of time, fuel, ingredients, etc into making them

The ripple effect is that a lot of players to skip using/forging metal gear altogether.

Side note: I’d just like to add that I don’t forge. This is just an observation of everything.

6 Likes

For me, RNG is only part of the pain of forging. The biggest of the headaches but not the only one.

Forging also requires A TON of ingredients that require different skills for gathering, are pretty expensive, etc. Hunting & surface gathering for the forge ingredients, mining for the gems, gotta be able to craft high tier items… I barely have enough characters/skill points to get it all done.

But then when I do complete all of the necessary prework, yes, the RNG and process of just starting over constantly and sometimes spending an hour just trying to get ONE hammer forged - that process is a nightmare.

And I would definitely do it more if it weren’t such a pain. But I think changing the RNG isn’t the only way to improve the experience (thought I wouldn’t argue against changing it!). If ingredients were cheaper and easier to collect, that would also be an improvement.

4 Likes

I’m sure something like this has been suggested before, but some way to avoid the constant rerolls on the forge would be great.

Ex: I get a boon I don’t want, use deconstruction resin, and get back a token of some sort that can be used to reroll a boon on the next forge attempt, without deconstructing. Or maybe you would need 5 of those tokens to reroll.

I’ll be damned if I haven’t gotten magnet 20 times in a row when I want AOE - some limitation on that sheer misery and time waste of rerolling would be nice.

2 Likes