Let's Talk About Forge Baby, Let's Talk About RNG

I would like to see forging change to a different method. Have the ability to forge “Perfect tools” be a skill set and have people charge a good amount for the tools. THEN let them be repaired using another lower level skill set that anyone can do using more common things to do so. That way if you have a tool you really like then keep repairing for say 100 times then it breaks permanently. Then you still need the original forging but people wont have to do it as much and the people who hate forging can just repair their tools until it is time to buy new ones again. Just a thought…could be fleshed out a bit more.

2 Likes

Even with an optimized technique you are still bounded by rng :frowning:

I have followed guides from others and I don’t get the same results, and that is what I think needs to change, there shouldn’t be rng in that process, if someone spent weeks figuring out a way to forge efficiently then he should be able to replicate the results every single time, or maybe I’m crazy and I’m asking for too much lol.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I feel! Used to be fun figuring out how to do all the forges but at this point is more of a chore and just working with the RNG and probabilities

4 Likes

Randomness is the only way to get a crafting process that isn’t a clear cut predictable formula which I think was their goal. Other skill based routes are reaction time and input precision. I would welcome them but the people who have problems with those would complain. They can never cater to everyone’s preferences.

But I also like the math/probability problem the forge is now. The rng can be factored in. It’s not easy at all, but I like hard.

4 Likes

For me if the durability was a 4th passive based boon on the tool that increased with the number of levels of boons on the tool. I would be willing to pay more. So like 300-500 more durability per level per boon.

My only problem with paying more for tools is that they break so fast. I can literally go through 4 stacks of hammers in a night. And that I feel, is absurd.

1 Like

When you can get 33k profit per hammer I disagree that hammer durability is a large problem that the game is facing.

Weeeeeell, I counter disagree to your sound arguement.

I’m not saying the profit isn’t there. I’m saying I should not have to use 16 hammers a night to achieve a professional miner’s haul. I should have to use 1, maybe 2 hammers. And pay 50k per hammer since the forger made such a quality item.

The arguement I’m making is not profit, but durability

Professional forgers cant keep stock because hammers break too easily. They take hours to cook in the forger but I can destroy 4 stacks in less time.

5 Likes

I would prefer to pay more for a hammer that lasts longer too. It can take an hour or more of looking through forged hammers to find ones that I like. I’d rather spend that time doing other activities.

Edit to add: if they were to increase gear stats, I’d gladly pay more for those tools (ie: 50k for a hammer with super dura). I’d like to see multi-shot added to fists. I’d pay a lot for those.

4 Likes

I pay roughly 10k for hammers with 3200 durability, made for tier 6 worlds (like norkyana , houchus, etc). I prefer them to have quirks on them, ie: swing faster when hp bar is full and use less energy when hunger bar is full. For some reason people still look at quirks as a bad thing. Best thing added to forging if you ask me.

Using quirks to forge is also quite a bit cheaper(at least it was when I forged over a year ago) even on failures/Decon rotations. The only reason I’m not forging my own stuff right now is because I can buy at a price I’m fine paying for them, and I also just recently came back and still getting things in order. If forged tools went to 15-20k, I’d just craft them myself again.

2 Likes

This right here. I wouldn’t be happy about it, but I would dust off the old forge and go through the 30 minutes a night to keep myself in gear. It would honestly make it so I would have stupid amounts of money very quickly though.

2 Likes

We need a forgers’ union, lol. Set some minimum prices…

4 Likes

As a competition / antitrust lawyer this suggestion gives me involuntary spasms of discomfort :joy:

4 Likes

Perhaps it’s time for tool augments.

Hammer/Shovel/Axe

Durability Augment 1 crafted with Titanium alloy and misc materials (adds additional 1500 durability to tool)

Durability Augment 2 crafted with refined diamond and misc materials (adds 5k durability to tool)

Durability Augment 3 crafted with one of the lucent gems and misc materials (adds 10k durability to tool)

Would also like to see Damage augments be able to be used on tools.

2 Likes

Man do I miss those days. Most wouldn’t believe us when we say stuff like that nowadays tho. :sweat_smile:

Oh right the forge. Ummmm. Dunno what to say other than I don’t have troubles with following directions laid out by someone on how to forge. It wasn’t till those were available that I started to forge. If they didn’t exist I still wouldn’t be touching the forge.

I think a base durability buff needs to be applied to all forged items based on rank, much higher than it is now.

But I do like your idea of potentially adding even more durability with durability augments.

Just an opinion but i feel like 300+ rating forged items should have 10k durability at least. Which would allow forgers to make substantially more on their base sale. And to add on to that we could have augments that add 10k more durability made from lucents like you said. That could really help forgers maintain more stock and it would not be such a burden on them to gather so many mats nightly.

Based on that theory.

A 10k durability base hammer
And a 10k durability augment
Would = 20k durability or about 10 diamond hammers without durability buff.

That would substantially stop people from having to buy stacks of hammers at a time. Just to mine for 1 night. All of them breaking during that time.

2 Likes

Doesnt this already exist somewhat, with the durability epic coupled with persist pies? A 3800 dura hammer effectively becomes a 6460 dura hammer, doesn’t it?

If a durability hammer had a base of 10k, then the dura epic + persist pies would make it a 17k dura hammer.

Speaking of forging and RNG, what are the odds that the devs will actually make any changes to it at this point?

And on my Creative Mode forging quest, I did finally manage to create a disease riddled cross hammer with no 2nd or 3rd boons. Anybody who figures the damn thing out deserves a shower of gold.

Yea when I started mining again I couldn’t believe how fast I was going thru them. Was glad I stocked up. Wish we had more dura on them.

1 Like

It just depends on how you use them. If you go with durability hammer where they get a total of 1600+ durability from boon + persisting pie they last pretty long. If you use starberry pie or the xp one + speed boon instead of durability then they melt pretty fast. I guess it’s a matter of choice or balance. If you would make them with that amount of durability nobody would use persisting pie.

I think theres a need in tweaking the tools base stats around the energy consumed per hits, especially for lucent tools. They should be better than the gems but they are kinda worst because of that and their low forge efficiency.

3 Likes

Also not on to check but if you put regen on any time of bomb does the durability drop down to 200? No matter if copper,iron, titanium and gem?

1 Like