Let's Talk About Forge Baby, Let's Talk About RNG

Forging is nice. I forge most of my tools myself but have been also buying much forged goods because there is much good deals around and/or allows me to skip time.

Forge could be made more clear and interesting for new players and for players who are familiar with forge there could be some possibilities to speed up it.
For example sort of recipe system that would do bulk forging faster where manual forge process would start from scripted situation x amount of gums and boons phases have already done.

I still think there could be alternative for forged aoe/3x3 tools for example with augments or able to create own patterns with smart stack that is already 3x3.

2 Likes

I was on Xena farming the beautiful lumious red gleam and my diamond hammer just wasn’t fast enough. I checked the portal

Level 1… cool, a level 1 planet. Now you would have to know that lvl 1 in Boundless means it’s a level 4 planet - I didn’t.

Then I went to this beautiful external resource to check how much damage an AE topaz hammer must have to one hit on a level 1 world.

After that I went to this other beautiful external resource to check where I can buy topaz hammers for 3000c+, because they are probably forged. Then I checked these shops until I found one that had AE hammers with enough damage.

Just to notice that the hammer doesn’t do enough damage for Xena…

THAT is what’s wrong with forging. Not only is it way to complicated, the game also doesn’t even help you in any way to forge what you need…

10 Likes

Not just that, but the tooltips for atmosphere protection skills still say “increases the time you can spend in X atmosphere”. Isn’t that how they worked years ago? They also hid the tier info from the world details, but it’s still present in the game lingo and everyone references planet tiers. It’s not clear at all that tier != atmosphere level.

5 Likes

In your case, unwirtlich = T4.
I have made a new topic/suggestion based in part on this post, which highlights a very easy to fix problem.
I also hope that they make forged hammers easier to look up and find, which is a large problem with a less-easy solution.

I am not trying to brag by any means here, but just trying to make a point. I have reached a point in which I consider myself a “Forge God”. I have a shop in the game in which I only sell forged gem and Lucent gear with max stats and no quirks or defects. I have figured out my method and learned how to keep RNG under control for a pretty streamlined process. It takes a ton of ingredients & real-life time, however, to forge the items that I do. And I have to sell at a price that reflects that. So I took a good amount of time looking through the B.U.T.T. at the average buy/sell prices of all the items I used in my forge ingredients. I did a lot of math to try my best to estimate a cost and have decided I need to sell my perfect gem gear at ~50k and Lucent gear at ~200k. At these prices, I am making profit but it’s very small. However, it doesn’t matter, because no one buys my gear. I haven’t seen another shop in the game that only sells perfect gear, and I guess my shop would only be tailored to the “richer” folks in the game, but I just can’t sell anything. People always come to fill up my request baskets really quickly because I pay great prices for items, but no one ever buys my stuff unfortunately. And it is demotivating. I have no idea how someone else could afford to sell a perfect diamond hammer for 15k or a perfect rift grapple for ANYTHING less than 200k, since that costs a ton of feather trophies to make. I really enjoy forging and it’s absolutely my favorite thing to do in the game, but the economy for it is messed up and I feel like something does eventually need to be changed.

2 Likes

What do you consider a perfect hammer? All maxed out boons?

1 Like

I consider a hammer with max (level 10) damage & durability and level 4 AOE with no quirks or defects to be the “perfect forge”. Of course this is relative and just my opinion. I’m aware that some quirks can be considered beneficial, but I just choose not to have any on my gear. I’m also aware that level 10 damage may not be necessary when level 8 will suffice, but it doesn’t take much extra ingredients to go from 8 to 10 so I’d just rather max it out.

1 Like

I wish the forging system would be improved. It is so hard to find tools sometimes because they take so much resources/time to make that people buy them faster than they are made.

The type of hammers I search for are max durability, max dmg, and aoe 4. But it doesnt seem to be common.

The durability really allows for greater earnings.

And I would be okay paying same % of durability. Meaning if that is 50% more durability, then I would be fine paying 50% more for the hammer.

So I normally buy 11,000c hammers without dura because that’s all I can find. But if 50% durability was on it, then I’d be fine paying 16,500c per hammer. Because that would then allow for a proportional percentage increase for my earnings too.

1 Like

Tried forging for the first time ever since launch lol. Fortunately it was in creative mode, and all I can say is wow. No wonder most players don’t forge. You need to attend a 6 week class at your local Vocational Tech College just to enter an apprenticeship.

Jokes aside, I wanted to try and “figure it out” before I watched the tutorial videos and such - I hear they’re good. The lessons I learned were 1. Learning without creative mode you’re going to have a bad time and 2. Learning to forge is the least user friendly thing I’ve ever seen in a game. The game is literally no.help.whatsoever.at.all.

Me personally I’d just scrap it and start over. Thank you, forgers! Keep doing what you’re doing.

4 Likes

Non-dura hammers go for 10k+ now? I need to get back to forging…

2 Likes

11000 for non-dura hammers ? that is a lot… i sell t6 +1400/1600 dura for 8k

1 Like

And that’s why some of us feel like forging is not worth it lol.

Why would I want to beat myself on that thing when I can get them somewhere else for cheap

3 Likes

Glad you figured out a method for getting what you want. Now you have to figure out a method that is cheaper so you can make a profit (for example using fewer feather trophies).

5 Likes

Yeah, the ones I’ve been finding range from 10k to 11k

Where is your shop? I’ll come by

its EZPZ on maryx, TNT Megahub and DK Mall have portals named EZPZ that take you right to it

4 Likes

Agreed, the same reason I closed my shop and only forge small time now for myself and guild. Was tired of everyone wanting it as cheap as possible and don’t care for the time investment of gathering all the resources and materials needed to forge.

1 Like

Honestly, its not surprising people don’t want to pay more than the current market rate for a hammer. Its also not surprising that many don’t feel like selling gear is worth their time investment. Forging is a flow chart game where you never know how many times you will have to go through the motions to get what you want. Some days you can make a hammer for a couple thousand coins worth of mats. The next day you may fail an easy forge 10+ times.

I discovered after a couple hundred hammers, axes and shovels that I found figuring out forging fun, but it quickly became a boring pointless chore. I could make money much faster than gathering the materials to forge. Instead I spend almost all of my coins on forged gear. Whenever I get a couple million coins I go out and increase my stash to make sure I am not out when the next set of forgers stop producing and someone else is just starting to gear up to take their place.

5 Likes

I think at least part of the issue is how many routes there are to the same result, some can do T6 hammers for 2k, some for 20k. The forge is pretty complicated and optimization possibilities never seem to run out. To really succeed in a competitive market you are pretty much required to find the path of least resistance.

I hope nobody is undervaluing their time and effort, at least for long time periods. I think anyone not making enough profits would eventually stop donating their time and/or coin. It doesn’t seem possible to forge in bulk while making a loss unless you gather 20h/day and donate those materials in the form of undervalued tools. If you do that we, get back to my previous point.

4 Likes

I would like to see forging change to a different method. Have the ability to forge “Perfect tools” be a skill set and have people charge a good amount for the tools. THEN let them be repaired using another lower level skill set that anyone can do using more common things to do so. That way if you have a tool you really like then keep repairing for say 100 times then it breaks permanently. Then you still need the original forging but people wont have to do it as much and the people who hate forging can just repair their tools until it is time to buy new ones again. Just a thought…could be fleshed out a bit more.

2 Likes