Let's Talk About Forge Baby, Let's Talk About RNG

This has never made since to me. Why would every bomb type have equal durability. Copper Regen 200 and diamond regen 200.

I believe auto door spanners are the same way

Try pure boon compounds to avoid diseases! It is common to either use decon resin III or boon removal solvent or boon transmute solvent to get the right boon.

If you find that you need more vigour, try alternating Pure boon II and Pure boon III since level 2 only needs 50 vigour. This is useful for when your boon bar is more than halfway full, since level 2 will top it off.

2 Likes

There is no added range on regen bombs, it’s a static 24m regardless of the bomb type.

1 Like

I forge, and in fact, it was @AeneaGames that got me properly into forging to begin with, and it was @fidach that gave me my current main method.

But this method still relies heavily on RNG and frequent deconstructs, and requires hopper cores and eyes.

The method Aenea has shown me in the past is more reliable I think, but for me, hopper products were just easier and cheaper to get. They still are, but I also noticed that since I was last active, hopper eyes went up about 10? times in price and cores I’m not sure on, but they also went up since then. It also made me notice recently how I’ve never seen a hopper drop more than 1 eye…

While I do craft my own gums, pastes, etc, it all does take a while, and I usually only forge if:

• I’m in the mood, because it will feel like a chore if I’m constantly deconstructing,
  • Have a stockpile of forge materials to go through (for me 200+ of a mat is enough)

If I don’t have enough forge materials, I might not want to go and get any, because it takes hours to really get everything going, as I tend to gather everything myself (depending on market rates for some basic items).

This has been a complete turn-off from the game in the past, when I was low on tools and living on a T6, quirkless/defectless forged tools are pretty much a must for me.

If I’m forging chisels, builder hammers and a few other easy specifics, I use pure compounds and fate pastes and have a pretty hassle free experience, usually.

In any case, I do buy forged mining hammers – and they are the only forged goods I buy usually – because sometimes I just really can’t be bothered to deal with not getting the boons I’m targetting (dmg8+aoe4).

Anyway, the forge has never felt particularly fun to me. Learning to use it in the first place was extremely confusing and took way more trial and error than many other aspects of the game. It was an experience of literal headaches for me.

I don’t know how it could be made more fun and simpler while keeping it in its existing form. Sure, deconstruction could have only 1 resin that always gives back 100%, this would help a lot with resource wastage and frustration, but it wouldn’t really alter the time-wasting factor of actually just going through re-rolling it again, which seems kind of dumb anyway.

Most of all, the worst part of it is when you’re nearly at what you aimed for in forging, but fall short of it and are unable to finish it. The end result is wasted time, wasted resources and a feeling of frustration; and by contrast, succeeding at forging when you’ve already forged hundreds of times, doesn’t really feel special either. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah, persisting pies help for sure. I am using teaching pies because I want levels so I can build more. So, I am basing it off a range of usages and not just the perfect setup.

If we really want to see where the forgers don’t have to slave away for their money and they are truly compensated for their time, then durability on the hammers themselves needs to be drastically increased.

If I didn’t need levels more than I need coin, then I’d use persisting pies.

All I have been able to find lately is non-dura buff hammers.

So it is the base 2k, plus the 30% epic. 2300 for diamonds.

I go through 4 stacks a night. That is 82,300 durability a night.

Even in my scenario where the base would be 10k, an augment of 10k, +30% epic, + 40% persisting pie; that would become 27,000k durability.

I would still go through 3 of these hammers every night.

So I feel like that a 10k base of 300+ rating should be the minimal increase.

Most miners that go for levels or even coin try to fill their inventory multiple times with just ore, gems, and other expensive items.

Knowing this, it would drastically help increase forger income and maintain stocks more easily. I think base durability could easily go higher than 10k. Because then the price of the hammers would scale as well.

Since forging is so hard, so time consuming, so RNG, and resource consumption heavy; the forgers should be getting more per forged item. But they can’t right now because they break so fast. Most people don’t want to slam down 50k for a hammer if it breaks in 10 mins.

1 Like

But the game is based on an economy and the economy dictates the prices of things.

As evidenced in this thread, there are forgers who have quit (myself included) and there are those who are happy with their profits (those who continue to sell stacks and stacks of forged tools) and have no intention to stop soon. I know I spent about 800k in one shop grabbing a few stacks of tools this weekend. Others did as well as I saw the inventory shrinking and then restocked this morning.

Hammers with quirks being sold for 10-12k cost about 2-3k to forge. That’s an 8-10k profit margin. That 10-12k hammer, with the current market of gems and ores can basically bring in 100k per hammer depending on the saturation of the sovereign you’re on.

All the changes you’re suggesting would just cause a momentary market fluctuation while new averages are determined and then we’re back to where we started, except less tools/pies are used because of far higher durability min/maxing.

Ultimately forgers won’t be paid more like you are envisioning. The market will simply adjust and correct. There are plenty of people who know how to forge well. If the market goes higher, they will quit buying and start selling their forges. This will lead to a market saturation then prices drop again and we are right back to where we are right now. This is just the nature of an economy.

Not that forging doesn’t need a complete overhaul in how it functions. The rng just needs to be taken out of it entirely. But this will lead to fixed prices. Right now your profit on a tool can be 1k or it can be 10k if you’re not making ‘high end perfect’ tools that yield a marginal increase in profit over time compared to lower stat tools with beneficial quirks.

3 Likes

Good points to your response.

I never hit 100k profits per tool, but I see your points. I hit between 36-66k profits per hammer. Fairly large swing depending on density of what I’m mining, and if someone has been there prior.

100k is only a profit for perfect miners. Most are not.

This is an ideal situation though. It’s rare that quirky tools sell, in my experience.
Part of this is, I think, because the display of the quirks in shop stands or inventory is broken and confusing.

1 Like

Ahh so it’s just the forge effect distance that changes but makes them all end up at the same AoE

1 Like