Let's Talk About Oort and Where to Find It

I’ve seen the opposite in Biitula, mob drops are going down, however certain ones like cores are going up as there are new ways of forging. Feel free to stop by my store in Biitula and buy my mob drops :wink:

1 Like

I also fear that, but like you said logically it makes sense there would be Oort beneath the ground.

What I am suggestion there be a small percentage on the planets that have meteors fall on them have Oort seams beneath the ground. It is an ultra rare resource, if that I remember what the flavor text says, so keep them ultra rare to find seams on the those planets.

1 Like

If this would come a thing… then stop people using scripts and mods cause theres always that one dude that knows how to increase seam visibility someway. This is just a fact.

2 Likes

I think another way to look at why we haven’t gotten another way to get oort yet is why? Is it to force people to hunt so all activities are viable? For the economy since oort is the most valuable resource? Does more oort=more portals=more stress on server? More portals=less exploration? Or maybe they haven’t had time to address adding oort in another way.

I’d like to see more oort in game personally. A lot of people are closing some portals just to keep their costs down. I think the “scarcity” hurts the game more than helps it.

As much as I hate to say it since I enjoy mining, adding seams doesn’t really help anyone but miners. A lot of stuff is locked behind mining. How about we add it to trees or as a reward for exploration. Treasure chests in the wild with oort inside.

2 Likes

I see a fair amount of what looks like players over-extending their reach in size and number of portals they control. I would imagine that while it’s certainly cool to build a portal hub, players underestimate the work it takes to support even a modest sized one.
I am down to just in-planet portals as I can’t seem to make it online for the bigger hunts so I scaled back.
I wouldn’t hunt many meteors if I could get oort other ways.

1 Like

We have more hunts nowadays, despite a smaller playerbase, then we did back when the game launched out of EA (Fall 2018) and there was a bigger playerbase. Primary public hunts back then was managed by Portal Seekers. But now, we have multiple guilds doing them several times a day.

1 Like

I like the Oort in trees idea.

1 Like

And in what timezones are those? I mean, afaik most if not all daily hunting groups are outside of the EU which isn’t helping for a large part of the userbase…

Nothing is stopping the players from the EU’s from making hunting parties. There are plenty of EU players that could easily fill that roll. A few of the hunts happen before I get off work so they should technically be in EU prime time.

2 Likes

Definitely EU as well. Just check the discord pings

I think oort should be mineable like lucents but only on exos.

If they put it on permanent it will be hard to keep a balance with the current economy.

If we get way too much, hunts will decrease and mob drops will go down too.

If we get just a little bit, people will start beaconing it to prevent others from getting it.

1 Like

I’m still sticking to my basic suggestion from a while ago on how to handle this - which is basically supporting this (with some adjustments):

After some discussions about this with James, I’ve shared that the balance between meteor drops and mineable options would be very hard to handle. I right now support and agree that Oort should not be acquired via a direct mining strategy of Oort as an Ore.

I’ve adjustment my strategy and push for another Oort acquisition option to basically these points:

1. Make sure Oort is obtainable by lower level players before T3 planets and very casual players – top option is either feat reward or specific low level rewards that can’t be taken advantage of by high tier players to cheat the system to get Oort.
  2. Ensure meteors work for mid spec players (non-hunter requirement) that are casual playing in nature to at least allow 1 (or a few) smaller portals. No hunting groups requirement - solo hunts.
  3. Start a campaign to influence the Developers back to some original loot type models – basically a very low chance for Oort to drop on ore drops, mob drops, and all surface resources. This way players can passively obtain Oort as they go through their daily Boundless playing. This would work for players of all levels because it removed the gathering from a specific place/location and instead kind of just allows it to happen everywhere based on play.

Remove everything from meteors except oort and gems. All other drops remove them. Drop rate for oort will then increase for completed meteors across all planets Meteors drop on. Oort should remain a hunter reward.

Also: Let the portals fall…let the networks fall that cant or will not work to obtain oort to run. What people are calling a shortage is from fall of some players and becuase we have not received an update to keep leaders engaged with hunting. Give us a good solid update for hunting and fighting to bring that feeling back some of us once had, then you will see an increase in hunts…then again I have notice alot of great people stepping up to lead hunts and some that never stopped.

5 Likes

Completely agree. Lack of open portals has nothing to do with inaccessibility to oortstones. It has to do with a bored playerbase that explored the finite number of planets we have and everyone stopped playing. There is no challenge on higher tier worlds and the lack of combat content since the game launched doesn’t help. The last year of updates have only focused on QOL and aesthetics. Give us combat content. Something more than just a Hunter NPC!

6 Likes

I would like oort to become mine-able only - no more road runners shitting them out or meteorite loot boxes dropping them.

That would require an overhaul of meteorite hunting: create a few meteorite-specific mobs and meteorite-specific loot that leads to some new crafting recipes (items needed to defeat titans?)

1 Like

I like this #3, but not the other suggestions of blocking access to certain players. Unless we’re moving into a full fledged classic MMORPG leveling model where things are locked behind levels and regions. In this case, the longer you play the game & the higher the level you are, the more access and options you get - to obtain the things you need/want. Not the other way around.

I think it’s better to show newer players how to locate current portal networks than to try to get them to use fueled portals - before they are ready to maintain them, before they fully understand them, and before they need them (if they do).

1 Like

I see at least four guilds that host hunts almost daily. iLLumiNaughty and Fireborn Nomads Hunt almost every day. I also know Lotus Kingdom, Sasquatch and HSE also host almost daily. That’s four hunts right there.

It would be great if more people stepped up to lead hunts… I personally try to host one per week so it’s not always left up to the same few people.

Then people will cry about not wanting the new drops to be hunt only and we go back to the start

1 Like

well, meteorites are available from lvl 3 worlds up - and easy to do solo, so it would be a content available to both solo and group playing as well as starting with level 20 characters

anyways, we can’t succumb to everyone’s crying; this game needs high-level content that requires both some skills (leveling up so) and preparations
players hunting in Boundless cry for some new (or re-written) hunting content, and rightly so, since there is no PvP in this game; I can see potential in existing mechanics without a need to create something completely new: although introducing some new elements (drops and creatures) is inevitable (since we keep getting new items and new mobs are planned, why not use those to make meteorites and hunting more unique?)

as for titans: they will come some day and we can hardly expect (and justify) them being available for all players and not locked behind leveling-up, top gear and group play

1 Like

My suggestions would be to make Boundless more like a video game. Have different combat/action driven modes, like surviving waves of Wildstock for as long as you can with better rewards for higher waves. Maybe not exactly this idea 100% but things along these lines. Place an Event Beacon, build a fort then defend it against cuttletrunks. Place an Event Beacon, plant a Nerp Tree then attack a nest of spitters with a boss spitter queen three days later (when you “trigger” the event). Also Destiny style Strike Missions, whatever the Boundless version of that is. My ideas aren’t necessarily to give people Oort fountains, just fun things to do. Maybe the Spitter Queen drops Rift Alloy hammers? If you make the game more fun, everything else will solve itself.

1 Like