Let's talk about Quirks

First of all, I like the idea of quirks. They add additional variety and benefits to the gear you get if you go that forging route, it’s just that currently it can make or break that gear too - the problem I feel is that in theory they should all have a reasonable trade-off, but in reality a lot of them are pretty much either strictly good or strictly bad. In my opinion, some even have a much more detrimental effect than certain defects.

Particles

For the love of Oort, disable the particles that appear when switching items, or give us an option to do so! To me, it is honestly one of the most annoying issues that I’ve encountered with the game - it closely follows even fall damage and player hitboxes blocking shots and revives. Not only does it strongly obfuscate the vision for a solid few seconds (which is of course just great during intense combat), but it also causes noticeable frame drops on my set-up when it’s a few buffs at once - and with high level forging it almost always is. I can only imagine how bad it must get for PS4 players, most of the ones I know avoid quirks as much as possible.

It’s possible to make the effects less intrusive via modding. I’ve recently started using a mod for this (minus the meteor visibility), thanks to daddyskitten. But considering PS4 players I think the particles for (at least) Quirk buffs should just be removed entirely. Same goes for the distortion effect, although it can thankfully be disabled on PC. I had to because it was just too annoying, which is a shame because now I really miss the effect on portals.

Even with the mod, I still get noticeable frame drops, since it only makes particles invisible but doesn’t remove them.

It also seems like at certain points in the game, periodically, when day switches to night and vice versa, or when taking damage, the buffs refresh themselves. That seems really unnecessary, but I’m sure there is a good reason for that, it seems like some kind of workaround. Would be great to see that solved in a better way, though.

Icons

A pretty simple fix, update the icons for the buffs to use the corresponding forge icons. A bunch of them still use the placeholder pint icon which really doesn’t help. I was looking into it while writing this post and noticed that it’s simply due to some icon paths being outdated, so I made a mod to fix it!

To apply it, open "Boundless\assets\archetypes\statusicons.json", search for "Quirk Slippery Feet" to find the list of quirks (all beginning with "Quirk") and replace their entries with https://pastebin.com/nM1J9McT

Edit: alternatively see this post for an easier way to apply this mod and other mods.

Bleeding Edge / Nutritionally Challenged

The downside of these quirks is that they slowly drain your health/energy while granting a 30% bonus to the maximum. In theory that sounds pretty fair, but in practice the positive effect is nullified because upon switching to an item with either of the quirks, your current health/energy remains unchanged. To heal or eat to make use of the upside you would have to switch items again, which then of course just resets the process. Arranging your hotbar and limiting your switching to make it work is possible, but not worth the downsides and the hassle.

I think it’s worth to consider taking the current percentage health/energy into account when the maximum changes through the buffs (just like was recently done for skill page switching). I understand it might be slightly exploitable because you could for example “switch” to the lower health, heal and then switch back for essentially more value from the heal, but it doesn’t seem like a huge issue to me. If that is a concern, maybe alternative upsides that wouldn’t have these issues are worth considering. For example bonus armor for Bleeding Edge and an item energy drain reduction for Nutritionally Challenged.

Nutritionally Challenged seems much worse because of the rate at which it drains energy. Even if you use Well Fed, you’re essentially sacrificing your only food buff slot to make the item usable, and of course due to switching, the maximum boost is still irrelevant most of the time. This might also be emphasized due to higher vitality builds being more common than higher zeal builds, at least for hunting.

For Bleeding Edge, all you need to be is Full Up and you’ll be fine, so even despite the upside not functioning properly I think this quirk is not too bad. However, please disable the first person “taking damage” animation if Bleeding Edge is the source, it is misleading and irritating. In case the % health change is fixed, I wouldn’t mind a slight damage buff to let’s say 15 per tick to balance it out.

Wonky Trigger

On weapons, it is slightly annoying, and I also think that it happens too frequently considering the durability trade-off. Especially considering it can block you from using your off-hand at just the worst times. Otherwise it’s not too bad.

On bombs, it’s actually great, triples the durability and on healing bombs is arguably very amusing (unlike One Jump Ahead).

But grapples, oh boy… I’m not sure why I let it happen, but I do own a pair of grapples with Wonky Trigger. When forging I must have thought “just have to play around it, always aim where I might want to grapple”. That’s when I learned that it applies to detaching as well, so after bumping my head, knee and various other body parts to death a few times, they’re now sitting on a shelf and I’m not sure I’ll ever use them again. I think it’s worth to consider making an exception for grapples and not applying Wonky Trigger to detaching.

Edit: also see this update post below.

One Jump Ahead

Similar to Wonky Trigger, I think this quirk is fine for the most part, it just happens way too frequently as well. The double jump also doesn’t feel like it has a lot of force to be relevant if you also have the Jump Distance Epic (which also makes this worse, thanks to fall damage). The double jump can be pretty helpful for saving yourself some damage if you don’t forget about it.

Edit: also see this update post below.

On Icy Ground

Probably my favorite quirk, 40 fall armor with basically no downside? Sweet. Maybe a little too sweet. I am worried, because the supposed sliding doesn’t feel like it works as intended and a fix could make this quirk immediately gross. If it is fixed, the sliding should still be significantly less severe than on actual ice blocks, in my opinion.

Carpe Diem / Carpe Noctem

It makes me scratch my head that with all the quirks that add a buff to the player which helps showing what the effect is doing, these two don’t do that. Especially since buffs seem to refresh when day transitions into night and vice versa, it would be really helpful to know at first glance whether the upside or downside is active.

Another issue with these is that the tool tip on the item never seems to update properly. It caused me a lot of confusion when working on the damage calculator, I even spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what causes the tool tip to refresh to show the correct value - waiting for the next day/night switch? Nope. Moving the item around in the inventory? Nope. Returning to sanctum/switching areas? Nope. Restarting the game? Not even that. I still don’t know. Just seems to happen randomly.

On tools I think they are generally bad, since most of the time you want to consistently one-shot blocks rather than having to offset the quirk with two levels of the damage boon or some other workaround.

Best of Health / Fully-Filled / In Poor Health / Ravenous

In my experience, you don’t ever want to stay at low health because it increases risk of dying. You also don’t ever want to stay at low hunger because it limits your item usage severely.

This makes Best of Health and Fully-Filled pretty much objectively good and the other two objectively bad. Perhaps it’s worth considering off-setting the threshold to be around 60% or even 70% or even higher. Just need to keep in mind that with the way Bleeding Edge and Nutritionally Challenged is currently applied, it might synergize with those. Which could be interesting, though.

Random Noises

The least impactful quirk of them all, which is probably a good thing? When I first learned about it, I was actually expecting it to be a lot less subtle, I was half expecting random silly sounds reminiscent of the Hanna-Barbera library. Plus, the noises aren’t really random at all, it’s always the same one and always plays when used. It’s barely noticeable and I don’t think I would mind if it was a bit more silly, playing random game sounds for example.

Aggravated Attacks / That Sinking Feeling / Slow-Mo

Really have no issue with these three, they are situational and most of the time not intrusive and can be really helpful and thus perfectly fits what I would like to see in a quirk. The other quirks could learn a thing or two from these!

Bouncy Feet

It’s broken and kills you! But since devs have already confirmed that it will be fixed, there is not much to add here. I imagine the trampoline effect should be fine once it’s usable, assuming you don’t lose too much control.

TL;DR:

Sorry, this really is a post and a half.

• General: PLEASE remove particles or give us an option to, also update the debuff icons
  • Bleeding Edge: disable damage animation, % based current health update on switching
  • Nutritionally Challenged: drain energy less quickly, % based current energy update on switching
  • Wonky Trigger: less frequent and make it not apply to releasing on grapples
  • One Jump Ahead: less frequent
  • On Icy Ground: if it ever gets fixed, please don’t nerf it too much?
  • Carpe Diem / Carpe Noctem: fix tool tips not updating, make current effect more obvious
  • Best of Health / Fully-Filled / In Poor Health / Ravenous: move the threshold up?
  • Random Noises: isn’t really random at all
  • Aggravated Attacks / That Sinking Feeling / Slow-Mo: more quirks like this, please!
  • Bouncy Feet: lol
9 Likes

Great analysis!

Also I’m inspired to make a truly awful grapple; like hookshot, reel speed, and wonky trigger. Sounds fun

1 Like

This has to be added please…

2 Likes

I was quite okay to have gear with quirks until I went out on a hunt with more than 1 piece of equipment which had them and lost visibility way too darn often. The on screen effects you see when switching is the biggest reason I never ever want quirks on my tools but especially not on slingshots and grapples…

1 Like

Best of Health / Fully-Filled / In Poor Health / Ravenous also have an issue with false information being presented to the user similar to Carpe Diem / Carpe Noctem. It appears that for the generally good versions, the downside is presented (-10 speed, +4 energy) even though the user is going to be experiencing the upside (+10 speed, -4 energy). If you have speed or energy on an item as well, it only gets more confusing, because the false quirk information is combined with the boon information. It can make something bad look good or good look bad.

2 Likes

You’re right, I completely forgot to add that to the thread as well.

After spending some more time with quirk items, I have to update this thread with how I currently feel about Wonky Trigger and One Jump Ahead. They are not okay! D:
In the original post I didn’t talk about a few aspects which pushes them from being a trade-off to just plain infuriating and in my opinion very un-fun:

Wonky Trigger

• Wastes augments.
    I started to dislike it even on healing bombs because of this.
  • When triggered in one hand, it temporarily disrupts using the other hand.
    It happens way too often to me that just a split second before trying to use one hand, the Wonky Trigger in the other hand blocks me from using it, often resulting in unnecessary fall damage or even death with my slingbow and grapple set up.
  • Can aggro creatures when you don’t mean to.
    A lot of times you don’t want to get yourself or others in trouble (or grab the meteor life just yet).
  • Uses energy when you don’t mean to and prevents you from regenerating energy when you mean to.
    Another reason I started to dislike it on healing bombs.

One Jump Ahead

• It’s simply way too disruptive.
    It has made me jump off platforms or freak out for almost jumping off platforms way too many times, prevented me from properly using my offhand (similar issue to Wonky Trigger), interacting with objects and players, aiming properly with tools and weapons, it just drives me mad.
  • It makes you take even more unnecessary fall damage which is already enough of an issue by itself.

The frequency for One Jump Ahead is 9 seconds on average and for Wonky Trigger 12.5 seconds. I think both values can be much higher than that, or more importantly, it could be more consistent. It can happen 3 times in a row rapidly or not happen for a while (One Jump Ahead even often forces me to double jump, resulting in more unwanted fall damage), maybe when determining the time until the next trigger it could go between 75-125% instead of the 0-200% which it seems to be. Heck, maybe even always the same interval. That would make it more predictable and possible to play around and anticipate, which could actually be fun.

And don’t get me wrong, it’s not a stats problem. 400 bonus durability with the epic means that on average you’d have the trigger to happen 571 times, which equates to sitting around with the item out for almost 2 hours to drain the bonus. Though it’s not entirely unrealistic either since because of my shotgun build I generally only burn through a fraction of an entire slingbow during a hunt (which can definitely last that long).

At this point I’ll take a -400 durability defect over Wonky Trigger with +400 durability. These two quirks are actually the main reason I started going the defect forging route more often recently, especially for slingbows.

If the frequency was changed, I wouldn’t mind a reduction of the durability bonus (sorry, bombs).
Aside from making it more consistent and/or less frequent, there are a few other solutions I can think of, like not using ammo when triggered (with or without bonus), not using energy or stopping energy regeneration when triggered and making the action not prevent you from doing something else as much (which would essentially work like a big action speed bonus on the use when triggered).

1 Like

Hey under wonky trigger finger you forgot “Bashing holes in your build”.

:angry:

2 Likes

Wonky trigger is only good for hammers while mining, or axes while chopping, because striking out is what you planned to do anyways. The added durability is actually really good for that too in my opinion.

I once was dumb and allowed a chisel to have wonky trigger. I never hated my life so much.

1 Like

ugh i can only imagine

1 Like

Out of all the comments, yours is the most nightmarish. Wonky trigger AND a chisel? You are brave.

2 Likes

It was when I was still new to the forge. I had bought a few gem chisels… and boom, I had put wonky trigger on it. I still use them sometimes too. Brave? Nay, I’m just stupid haha.

1 Like

It happens without the quirk as well… :cry:

1 Like

Absolutely agree with the tool tip information being shoddy.

However, I have to say these are some of the most underrated quirks out there. Did you realise that they can turn a devastating damage boon 9 diamond AOE hammer into a T7 one shotter? They add +100/+10% day or night.

I have been forging myself Emerald hammers with DD lvl 10 with this on purpose (a carpe diem one and a carpe noctum version) , along with “increased attack speed at full health” and if incredibly lucky “reduced stamina use when full” these are arguably some of the best hammers currently available in the game. I absolutely tore through the latest T7 world with these and a Mega fast brew.

2 Likes

Yep! We use this formula for the Were/Sol Hammers and axes in the Golden Fist shop. When used right, these can be great tools! You just need a pair!

Exactly, and I don’t think a lot of people actually realize the potency of having a pair of these. They blow away any T7 rift hammer I’ve been able to forge easily just for the stamina savings alone and the fact that I can easily forge 1600+ dura on an emerald

Yep, definitely beats having to use a low tier strength brew or only 2-shotting with speed. Although I really don’t like them on T6 hammers since it makes them inconsistent unless damage is maxed, at the time I made the thread, T7 didn’t exist so they weren’t that relevant, I’m definitely more glad about them now.

Oh for sure I don’t use them in T6. The only reason I even discovered them was a mistake.

Early on when quirk forging began I got the Carpe Diem quirk while forging a pair of emeralds and thought I could overcome it by making devastating damage level 10 and still 1 hit T6 even during the night… turns out I was wrong and to make matters worse I also got increased action speed at low health. Tried them once on a T6 at night and not only were they SLOW they didn’t 1 hit!! So into the “forging reject” shelf the went and gathered dust…

…the first rift exos came along, and I made myself some Rubies to use with a str brew, they did well enough… and then one day while browsing the Fist I saw their Were/Sol hammers and was curious enough to take a look at what made them so special. And well… literally this happened

I decided I must make my night hammer before the next Exo!!! Now that was a comedy of RNG hell but I got there. No extra speed though sadly. The Blink exo popped a week or so later and I had the luck of landing on the “wrong” blink planet as soon as it popped, my friend landed on the right one… we both assumed we were on the same one, haha. All the way through we were competing and yelling our rift numbers back at each other… and I couldn’t believe he was keeping up with me while I was using my gatling gun hammer and he was using diamonds with a strength brew… I figured he must be on a better hot spot. I walked off the planet with 560 odd blink in disgrace he carried on to get his 720… beaten by an inferior miner with inferior equipment.

Much later I saw a screenshot of the Yuuzha atlas… and it’s blink heatmap and figured, nah this must be a photoshop… no way would they make an Exo that abundant… no way… dammit!! I accused him of cheating, etc we laughed a bit at our own stupidity, I grabbed my hammers and stormed off to Yuzhaa and nearly 24 hours after being mined to shreds and came home with over 1000 blink in 1 pie… and felt like I was a man, I mean Oortian male, once again. Turns out 560 in an hour on the murderous Exoworld Ord Trian (I still have nightmares about it) was actually really good and I as a bonus I got a head start on the “See who can get the most white rock challenge”

1 Like