Lighting/Chandelier Help, Tips, and Inspiration

I’m building an asylum and need some lighting inspiration. The building is somewhat old fashioned… I’m not actually sure how to classify it. I based it on this:

So far, it looks like this:

I think I want a chandelier above the steps. I’m not sure if I want one on the porch too. Regardless, I would really appreciate some inspiration and tips. Chandeliers are something I haven’t ever attempted before. I have checked out The Smelly Couch and have some ideas, but they may be above my skill level.

Tips, pics, etc. are appreciated. Also, feel free to check out the building on Melancholia (if you’re so inclined). I’ll probably add more pics of the specific area to this post tonight after work.

I just need some help with this one. Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

I recommend you to play with Lattice and Precise square chisel. You’ll find a lot of useful shapes to your chandelier.

Thanks, @Dubbanz, I need to build a good space to experiment with these. I appreciate the suggestion.

1 Like

Building a chandelier is best done on a 1 block centre depending on the size. Looking at your pictures it looks like a 2 block centre coming up those stairs. Which is still doable. It’ll just be a bigger chandelier hanging from 4 chains rather then one. I used a combination of lattice and bevel chisel on the ones in the smelly couch but have some bigger chandeliers in our guild headquarters that are 2x2 centre.

2 Likes

I like to recommend doing experiments like this on a creative world.

2 Likes

Thanks, @georgegroeg and @Rydralain. I appreciate the tips. I am definitely going to start experimenting tonight.

2 Likes

Here is my first attempt at a chandelier.

18 Likes

I like it, I can’t believe this is your first attempt. You are learning so fast about building techniques. I’m sure you’ll be one of this amazing builders.

1 Like

Love it :heart:

:laughing:My first attempt at one was horrible
Might even steal this design :wink: Great to see your progress , keep it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is one I did a long time ago. Gone now.

5 Likes

Thanks @WendyVandecatsye and @Dubbanz! It went through a few different forms before that one. I may add onto it, but I am also considering keeping it as is. I will say that my progress has a lot to do with this community. I have gotten a lot of great tips and really amazing builds to learn from.

@XxymoxX — that’s a pretty awesome display. Thank you for sharing. I could see that inspiring some of the lighting I need to put in when I expand Nezhvlad Labs.

2 Likes

Great work, love it!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you, @bucfanpaka! I am so enjoying experimenting with the chisels and learning new things.

1 Like

You have an eye for for beauty and I agree with the statement you will be an awesome builder. You already are!

Chisels are such a joy in boundless. The lattice is an absolute marvel.

2 Likes

Wow, @Mittekemuis, that was very nice of you to say! Thank you!

I agree. I can’t wait to see what else can be done with the lattice chisel.

1 Like

8 Likes

Oooooh! I love it, @Mittekemuis! That looks so awesome!