Linux Native Client

Thank you for your answer!

I have a few questions:

• Is the Linux version planned for the V1.0?
  • Is it possible to play the Linux version as an alpha tester?

About the packaging for steam, is it mandatory? I mean: will steam be the only place where boundless will be sold?

1 Like

We would like release the Linux version, but weā€™re trying to stay focused on getting the Windows version to a high quality. I realise itā€™s not really fair, but itā€™s simply a case of the number of players to Windows compared to other platforms.

The problem with making an alpha version of Boundless available for Linux, is that once players have paid for a game - there is a certain expectation that itā€™ll work or get fixed in a timely manner. So if there are issues weā€™ll get dragged into working on the Linux version when we really want to focus else where. So the only safe solution is not to make the Linux version public until weā€™re able to support it to the same level.

At the moment we only ship the game via Steam. This is because the client doesnā€™t have itā€™s own updating mechanism and we need to keep the client and servers in-sync during development. So weā€™re using Steam as our sales, distribution and update system.

8 Likes

Good to hear thereā€™s at least plans (unless I read this thread wrong) for a Linux version. Will patiently wait and play on Windows until then.

@james Soā€¦ any news on this topic? I bought this game 3 years ago now, and while I donā€™t regret it, I have played it a total of 3 hours, about 2 years ago. Because I use Linux exclusively.

1 Like

I too would love to see a Linux version if itā€™s not already implemented. Iā€™d give up Windows in a heartbeat

2 Likes

+1 for the Linux client.

1 Like

+1 for a native linux client

I just want to add that I would love a native Linux client.

I understand that you donā€™t want your dev team getting pulled into supporting something when youā€™d rather be developing new features, but you could release a client as ā€œexperimentalā€ with the understanding that any support for it will be at your discretion.

Iā€™d also like to add in my opinion. Yes, Linux users make up a smaller percentage of gamers, but weā€™d make up a lot more if more games supported the platform. Too many companies close their doors to us so we donā€™t get a chance to contribute to the gaming community as much as weā€™d like to.

Boundless has the best community of any game Iā€™ve ever played and you guys listen to the users and really care. I would love to see this community grow and for you guys to help it do so by opening your doors to everyone.

1 Like