List of Common New Player Complaints

yea alot of us has soon has that released was saying it needed to be changed cuz it makes it seem like a lootbox(random items) and not what it is where you get what you buy

Ran across 2 new players on new world’s. They brought up a valid argument…search section in knowledge tab!!!

Knowledge tab is overwhelmingly full of information just start the game with a book that guides you through.

I’m a relatively long term player, since ea, not a power leveller, I just take my time and try and do the things which I enjoy the most, still haven’t even got any level 50 characters yet.
With the release of the two new planets and the last update I thought I’d create a new character and try and see what it’s like for new players. Below are just a few of my first impressions.

1. Still no colour picker for the character creation, just the endless clicking through each one one at a time, extremely tedious, not a good first impression.
  2. The text explaining what to do is far too small and out of the way in the top left of the screen, this needs to be much more in your face for first time players. I’ve watched a few videos on YouTube of new players completely missing the part about pointing the totem at the planet rotating above the elders head which he is pointing up to.
  3. The planet above the elders head rotates far too slowly, we either need a way to control the speed or better still, be able to rotate it freely like a globe.
  4. Personally I felt that the passive planet had far too much water for a starter planet especially as swimming is painfully slow and our characters don’t float unless we are holding down the space bar. Once you start swimming across a large body of water you have no choice but to either finish swimming all the way across which can be a ridiculously long time, turn around and try and find away around if you’re not on an island or simply let your character drown and go and do something else instead.
  5. I absolutely loved the topography of the hostile planet and thought many of the little islands were really beautiful. Unfortunately I think hostile creatures on new planets either need to have the damage they inflict toned down or they need to be slightly easier to kill.
  6. Compass, health bars etc Initially need some sort of legend on screen so that new players know what they mean otherwise they are obviously somewhat meaningless.
  7. A bit more instruction on how and where to find food as it’s not immediately obvious and this too needs to be a bit more in your face. I know when I first started my initial thought was to get food we would have to kill an animal to get meat, then found myself flying through the air and having the stuffing knocked out of me by a wildstock.
  8. As many people have said before, how do you make glue? There’s no list in the furnace and the knowledge tab isn’t obvious to someone who is new to the game (it’s ok, i know how to make it so there’s no need to explain :slightly_smiling_face:)
    That’s more than enough from me for now and before anyone gets upset these are just my personal opinions and therefore please feel free to ignore if you don’t agree. I absolutely love this game and think the developers are doing an amazing job with it but obviously it needs more content and ongoing polishing. Nothing will ever be perfect but for me this game is certainly closer to it than most I’ve played.
10 Likes

anyone got any new ideas since the free weekend ended? Looks like Steam gained about 150 new players at least.

1 Like

More free weekends! Has to be the best player growth since launch!

1 Like

I think the free weekends would be a good stimulus to player growth.

Have one every couple of months.

The one thing that I could add to the OP is that I noticed a lot of the new players had no idea what foliage was or where to get it.

That can be problematic especially getting started since you need to get quite a bit

Maybe have just for the tutorial some sort of image that pops up and shows you what to look for.

1 Like

Good idea! I definitely had this problem back in the day.

Maybe it’s an American issue? I’d call them tree branches perhaps?

2 Likes

Or just use slingbow . Common sense

How is that common sense?

Any of those tools doesnt say “weapon” etc. So it would be clear those are not used for whacking mobs

only in the knowledge menu or the workshop (filtered view) are there clear tool and weapon categories, also the tutorial doesn’t include a building a slingshot phase.

As a new player myself I can agree with a lot of these things.

1. I still have zero clue on how portals work. I’m still nervous of going through ones in town as I have no idea if i’ll be able to get back to my planet if I go to another one through someone elses portal.

2. The atlas seems mostly useless. I had to watch a youtube video to even figure out how it works. Hotspots and no indication of depth on stuff is nearly useless it seems.

3. Quest told me to go to main city for my planet and to look for yellow icon on compass bar. There was no yellow icon on compass bar…I wandered through portals aimlessly until i happened upon a super random location and it completed…still no yellow icon on bar. ???

4. Knowledge menu needs major updates with search and ability to click on the sub ingredients to see how to make/obtain those. What would be better is showing in the tooltip what items are needed to craft that item or where its obtained.

5. Furnace needs list of craftable items. Finding out how to make glue was a task for sure. Why is it so cryptic?

6. How do you get health back? I see you can eat food to get energy back, but health is a mystery…does it just grow over time of idle?

7. Would be nice if there was a lot more information when your reticle hovers over things. Player level is one that would be nice.

8. THe loot crate thing seems pointless…everytime i just click collect all at once. Why not just award those things on completion of the task?

9. Mobs are way to tough in starter areas. Die almost instantly or have to fight from elevated platform to survive. And one of the first quests you get is to kill things.

10. I’m very unclear on how the world regenerates. I dug a big tunnel only to find it filled the next day, but the torches remained i placed?

11. Starter towns are graveyards…super quiet and empty…and the portals are so vast I would have no idea where to go to find a single person? Guessing this is a population thing, or everyones on tougher planets.

12. any way to be able to swim for longer? Seems you got about 10 second and your dead and its super hard to get out of the water.

13. really bugs me on the storage containers how you have to click a certain one in a stack to see items. Either show them all, or restrict how many can be placed next to each other to reduce the confusion.

14. The sanctum seems like an annoying extra step if you just want to go back to your home. Can we have a special totem that just returns us home?

15. Quest objectives not showing complete if you had built the item prior to getting the quest is annoying. The one to build a crafting table making you build another when you already have made one is annoying. Also if i craft one in the table, it doesnt complete because i have to craft one on my person. Not sure if those can be linked to complete it.

16. WHY IS IT ALWAYS RAINING!!! I actually actively sought to go through a portal to stop hearing the rain only to find it raining on another planet as well! Please tone this down.

Sure there is more but my early impression with about 15 hours in.

4 Likes

we have been screaming for this for a while now ever sense the weather system was released lush worlds and most others have 24/7 rain with maybe 5 min brake in between

1 Like

The first thing I did when I first started was look for a H2H weapon to craft.

We need swords.

When I first started and got attacked by a spitter on solum I tried fighting it with my axe that did nothing and the totem which did almost nothing because those were all I had. The tutorial didn’t even have me make one so it couldn’t be a priority.
Exited the game to search for an explanation of why monsters were invulnerable.
I remember it wasn’t a good first impression.
Common sense was that an axe should work great, it does in most games.

5 Likes

So much yes on both of these.

It is unclear from what you typed, so if this is something you already know, just ignore it.

But there are not "starter towns, per se. Everything in the game is built by players. So people set up their home and then go adventuring, shopping or mat hunting. You generally only see large populations in hubs and shopping areas.

I can’t agree with this more. Get rid of the loot box visuals and just award the rewards. Maybe add a more focused checklist screen that just shows the current weekly and daily challenge progress and the last ten rewards you received (and how you earned them).

Get rid of ANYTHING that even hints of a loot box.

3 Likes

Or the once long ago mentioned LANCES! :laughing: :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry by starter towns i mean towns near where you choose to start (assuming you started by one). The heatmap to new players conveys a message that there is a lot of activity going on there, when i reality it just means a lot of stuff has been built there, but may or may not be a single player around.

5 Likes

If i remember it correctly, their Lances design was range weapon too.
I guess they made it to the “Fist” we currently have at the end.