List of Common New Player Complaints

Don’t argue in this thread. Just list what you think most new players complain about, and add your own solution if you want. I’m just putting some random solutions I can think of.

@james you can add anything you want here also, might as well make a list.

1. Damage of Enemies in T1/2 Worlds easily kills new players.

• Solution - Remove Stout Enemies from T1/2 Worlds or reduce their damage?
  2. Players attacking enemies with Wood Tools and Totems get frustrated.

• Solution - Buff their damage?
  3. Crafting time in early game, meat, etc.

• Solution - Reduce crafting time of early game tools by 70%?
  4. Players want to be around other people.

• Solution - Make it easier to warp to a populated planet near active players?
  5. Players want to be alone.

• Solution - Make it easier to understand where to warp if you want to be in the wilderness? Not sure.
  6. Wildstock instant death bug (Where you get rammed like 10 times in 2 seconds)

• Solution - Fix it?
  7. Loot Boxes are hated in the industry now.

• Solution - Remove them, and just automatically give players the cubits?
  8. Drop Rate of Items in Early Game Extremely Low.

• Solution - Buff drop rates, so a new player can EASILY find bone, sap, berries, and flint, also explain where flint drops, (most players keep breaking gravel).

What else people got?

@shadowwraith added, outdated screenshots.
—My Solution - Update them maybe? Or say they were pre-release? Not sure.

@Jyanin added, Swimming is slow. I would also add running is slow.
—My Solution - Buff both of those significantly? I hate going through towns on a character that doesn’t have 5 points of agility. Much like inventory size, I think movespeed should be much higher at default.

@majorvex added, campfires are confusing. I agree, I’ve seen many posts complaining about those. They serve no purpose other than to confuse the player about why they can’t cook meat on it, or why items disappear.
—My Solution - Just remove campfires from the game completely?

@dkpuncherello added, warping is confusing.
—My Solution - no idea

@Gorillastomp added, maybe add an offline tutorial?
—My Solution - Not sure. Maybe a brief, T0 planet, where nothing is permanent, and you then warp to a T1/T2 planet so you become used to using warp augments more?

@Kal-El added, players want to switch to a non-hostile world.
—My Solution - Maybe allow players to switch to a T1 if they want in the Sanctum for free if they are below a certain level? Maybe this wouldn’t be a problem if enemies didn’t do so much damage in T2 areas. Maybe allow the stealth skill early on for people who have zero interest in combat.
@majorvex contributed to the above, said young players they might not understand what
a “hostile world” means.

@AeneaGames added, maybe add a chat tutorial?

@Biv added, maybe increase inventory or add alternatives to shelves like chests with easier crafting requirements, how to make glue, combat is unclear so maybe add more tooltips to explain tool usage, or add swords as a weapon in the game so people stop attacking with hammers.

@ratchel added, add a search system for the knowledge tab.

7 Likes

Some have mentioned the outdated screenshots and videos from the oldverse (pre-launch) as misleading.

1 Like

Less complained about, but swimming being slow and painful :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Great post!

Swimming
Aggro from spitters on low tier
Food

1 Like

I’ve had to explain to several that campfires are temp and walk them through placing a beacon/fuel/plots. A lot of them are angry when the campfire expires and their items are gone.

They also don’t understand how to travel, warp, find/use portal hubs. They complain that things are too far.

3 Likes

i noticed that they tend to land in places that are plotted would be better if they all land in the wild where they can tutorial first
landing in towns is bad cuase they dont get the beaconed zone system yet

3 Likes

Warping is very unclear. Also, without a world map that you can pull up, the game is super easy to get lost in.

3 Likes

What about an offline tutorial ? once they complete it they can go on the online servers.

9 Likes

I have seen a lot of questions about where to get flint in discord so I can testify they are not understanding that.

I had one I chatted with not happy that he had picked a hostile world, but they ask that up front and describe them so I am not sure what can be done about that unless you do not make it an option at all, or ask later on and not right when you are setting up your character?

3 Likes

I don’t think it should be an option. How can a new player, maybe an 8 year old kid, maybe someone that’s never played a game like this…understand those options? They should be placed on a lush level 1 planet, in their region (which is also an option, and prob shouldn’t be).

2 Likes

Had one who couldn’t see what I was saying to them. They had clicked on my name and the chat window switched to PM mode, to a channel specific to me. They had no clue that going back to channel ‘All’ would solve that.

Perhaps when you click on a player name to send a PM to someone, stay in the ‘All’ channel. It’s confusing…

1 Like

Better yet, have a tutorial on the chat window itself.

2 Likes

For all these issues, a simple gif animation showing the process required would go a long way to help.

1 Like

I feel alot of this haves to do with the fact this is a very melee unfriendly game and the new players do not understand this and therefore get very upset when they try to attack something in melee range and then take alot of damage from it, as this game seems to be designed around ranged combat and trying to stay outside of melee range.

I think they need to add some more mobs that are pacifist, so the newer players will have something to kill and get food and drops from that doesn’t attack back, or run away at break neck speeds.

3 Likes

Just take a page out of Minecraft. Big mods would always release a physical in game book that guided you through the steps of how to play. It was so handy with a pictures on each page explaining simple instructions how to do something. This game could benefit from books.

1 Like

Since this thread is about it, Going to leave this here for easy Reference/it doesn’t get lost

2 Likes

I’ve seen:
“I don’t have enough room/inventory space”
“How do you make glue?”
Maybe a sack that functions like any other storage but doesn’t require glue?

Also see lots of folks attacking wildstock with hammers.

Maybe add “not a weapon” in the description.
Frankly, these guys are coming from minecraft. We need swords to get rid of the confusion.

1 Like

@MinerDiggerMan
Just to clarify, I didn’t mean personal inventory, I meant the sack as a storage block/shelf alternative that doesn’t require glue.

Though I think we could use one more line of inventory. Inventory fills up quick for noobs.

3 Likes

The newest patch is for new player’s tutorial improvement.
But i think the major problem is how they design the tutorial.

I think they need to add better animation to help players understand the basic system setup (for example arrow and box frame or some kind of jumping text to allow newbies notice the important function).
Right now it just throw a lot of text for players to read, and i know most people don’t read the text.

Some game even start the newbie tutorial about how to move (W / A /S/D). They don’t pretend like newbie know all of these things and this is great thing to do. The current tutorials boundless have somehow pretend newbie already know the basic things, for example mark the location and how machines works.

This game is unlike minecraft have easier setup for everything. This why they need better tutorials “design” to help new players learn all the basic knowledge. Don’t pretend like every new players will meet a nice teacher in game. It should be dev’s job done at first place, it can make sure all the newbie understand everything at first place as well. I am not too surprise a lot of steam feedback is terrible wrong about everything, because the info is not clear at first place to allow them to understand how this game works. 10 people will have 10 different feeling and guessing. So, the best way is don’t give them the chance to guess anything. This is the importance to create a nice and helpful tutorials for new players by showing them what kind of functions make boundless special.

the biggest complaints seem to be the crafting times, inability to find certain resources like fibrous leaves and the micro-transactions alongside the lootcrate reward system.