Locations and Location Markers

I thought I’d detail out the plan for locations and location markers after a few questions came up in the testing release thread:

• Everyone has a list of stored locations.
  • Stored locations are shown on a map / compass.
  • You can store your current location into the stored list at any time.
  • You can create a location marker (which uses resources, and may be gated by a skill), which stores a location in it.
  • You can trade or sell the location marker freely, like any other object.
  • If you acquire a location marker you can “consume” it to put the location into your stored list.
  • When warping you can go to stored locations, the location of one of your beacons, the location of one of your friends, or a random location.
  • If you read the location of something from a website you would have to somehow get to that world (via a portal that someone had built, or a known location on that world) and then try and walk there based on the coordinates (not an easy process).
  • A location marker storing a useful location is definitely something of value.
21 Likes

@Stretchious you won :wink: You secretly have closer contact with ollie and co.? Or just good at guessing? :wink:

question to @olliepurkiss :

• any rough idea about how much location markers can be stored within the list?
  • does that mean, I can extend the amount of my list stored locations by “created” markers, I have stored in some containers / inventory?
    If this is not wanted, maybe you should think about this: A marker is just valid / existing, as long as the creator has it on it’s list. Only exception: a marker is bought by another person. Then the creator can delete his “list stored location” and the buyer still keeps the item.

If you can store endless markers, there would be no “travel time” between known spots of interest i.e. different cities. Interesting aspect to save “unnecessary playtime”.

2 Likes

Haha, I secretly wish I was a game dev, but no, sadly I’m only good at guessing :wink:

I’d say not… from what Ollie has said, you need to consume a location marker to be able to add it to your location list, otherwise it just remains as a self-contained, trade-able item…

Ooh, this sounds like a potential explorer skill to me :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice now i can remember pretty areas

1 Like

hmm, sure?
For me it sounded more like: you can make an entry of a location in your list. When you did so, you can create a tradeable item from this entry (what not necessarly means, the list entry is deleted).

I mean, of course the marker in your inventory is just a tradable item. And probably without showing detailed information before you consumed it.
But in example you are allowed to have 10 markers in your list, but 15 locations are interesting, then you could create tradeable items of the 5 you need more rarely and store them in your inventory (or other storage).

That would be an indirect extend of your available locations from your list.

I think we’re both saying the same thing here, just in different ways :wink:

No mention of it being deleted after creating the location marker item though, and it would be pretty pointless to do so, as you could simply just add it again, as long as you are still at that location.

I see what you mean, yes. If there was a limit to how many locations you could save (I hope there isn’t personally - especially when you explore more and more worlds), then you could potentially extend any location limit by storing location markers in containers for when you need them.

That could become quite costly, material-wise (depending on the cost/type of materials needed for a location marker), as you would have to then create multiple location markers so you could replace the ones you have consumed. I can see both positive and negative points to having a limit and not to be honest. Personal preference would be for there not to be a limit, but if there is going to be one, then maybe limit it per world.

If I have my assumptions right, you will need to also ‘consume’ materials (blink maybe?) to warp to a stored location as well … at least I hope there is something like that otherwise people will just flit around from place to place all the time.

I hope that it does have a limit on the # of locations storable, but I hope that this limit can be increased with a skill or crafted items.

2 Likes

For me personally, imposing a limit, would be like saying you can only remember [insert limit here] things, before you start forgetting other things… we seem to be able to remember quite a lot of crafting recipes (even ones we’ve never actually used before!).

If warping to a location is not activated from your own (thoughts/desires?), it would seem to imply you had some sort of data device that only had so much memory available to store location coordinates. Personally, I don’t feel that type of ‘technology’ fits into B<.

I guess we’d need to know the full workings and limitations of your location list, if any, really. Hopefully that will be released as a first iteration soon. I’m very interested to see how it works.

Yeah, this is my main worry in some way. Actually I cannot say exactly why, but in other open world rpgs, you can also not switch from location to location as fast as you want and for free… There are always certain conditions like travel time, localization of travel points, currency to spend. I can imagine this is by reason…
I would feel “strange” if every point of interest is available at any time i want, just by clicking on it in a list (no matter how far the point is away from your current location)…

Though I cannont exactly say why I feel weird about it… Maybe by habit? Travelling with time invest should be part of open world games imo. No matter if you know or don’t know a certain location already.

yeah, like playing with beacon sizes.

If they don’t have a limit on how many locations you can store, then there needs to be some kind of reasonably high cost associated with warping to each place, otherwise people will use warping to go the 1 minute walk between two buildings in a city.
I think having a device that can only hold X number of location tokens would work perfectly fine, and if I remember that is what they teased a while back.

1 Like

I think it could work either way, but if you were to have an infinite amount of location tokens available, I think that they should go up in price exponentially the more you have.

In my opinion cooldowns to teleport to the location is the best solution. Crafting charges to teleport still makes people to use it constantly and if they cost too mutch no one uses them. Crafting location markers or getting more by leveling up sets a cap for them so you use them only in a places you really need.

3 Likes