Long term funding - Polls

For educational purposes, the “agree, somewhat agree, neutral, somewhat disagree, disagree” scale is known as a Likert Scale.

Love the idea of allowing the community to vote instead of one or two vocal people bashing it out. Looks like the data is going about how I expected so far.

3 Likes

Yeah that was i was going for just mixed up and used somewhat agree and agree instead of agree and strongly agree.

first nice work @Vastar for collecting the question
but count from 1-10 for all has some problems

no = 1 | yes = 10

1 yes + 1 no => 10 + 1 = 11 → 11:2= 5,5 so we have 2 people voted but normal we had now a draw, but here we have a minimal positiv.

next time use this for rating question

i think the half of the questions should be yes / neutral(i dont care) / no
example: Dev created Blueprints ← this is a yes or no question i think

and

here following all avr. raitings

the most still round about 6, no big diffrence at the most of them it seems like the most people still using 1, 5 or 10

1 more question from me

Vanity wearables → rating 6,88
you ask here for a number of wearables or you want to know if the people want it or not ?
if the second next time pls use yes or no

Thats interesting though.
I would to know hwo is for boosts and against merchandise and their reasoning behind that ^.^

As that was something that is often quite large agreement on.

Also addons that was largely posetively reseived at first but apparently went strongly downhill from there.

maybe there are a lot people rating with 5 (don’t care) for it so the average drops rapidly :frowning: that’s the problem @KuroKuma and i mentioned befor.

1 Like

Yeah that could be it but with 10 new voters at least some voted 4 or under.

1 Like

Yeah, vocal minorities get lost in the fray.

I definitely voted 1 on that. But that’s because I read it as “UI addons”, which I would be strongly opposed to having people pay for access. Game expansions are another matter (which it seems to be, after re-reading)

1 Like

Not only minorities but also majorities and a lot of information too. Let me show you an example.

In this example 20 people voted on the knows scale from 1 to 10. In all 3 cases the average is 5.5 but as you can see all three cases are extremely different.

The “polarized” (blue) example shows that there are two distinct caps (10 who agree totally and 10 who disagree totally).
The “all average” (yellow) example shows that all people don’t really care.
The “agree” (red) example shows that most of the people agree in parts (13 of 20) and only a minority disagrees (but emphatically).

By collecting only average values this information is lost (unless the devs can pull it from the database) and not usable for decision making.

EDIT: obviously there are also people willing to pay for everything … we are doomed …

2 Likes

I like the idea, the only thing i don’t like is that people can get ahead using money. I personally don’t have that much money to throw away atm, however some people do and as much as i would like to fund this game its frustrating when i have to grind for something when another person can just pay for it and instantly be ahead. I like vanity purchases but nothing too major on the progression.

1 Like

That seems to be generally accepted (B< won’t be P2W)

With regards to “getting ahead” or “paying to win” - this is obviously something we’re really sensitive to and want to avoid. (We’re gamers as well and only want to deliver something we want to play!) So in the past we’ve asked this exact question - the result was:

Q: Which statements best described winning?”

• 48% Defeating the most deadly creatures and felling the mightiest Titans.
  • 31% Evolving the most powerful character and owning the most powerful gear.
  • 21% Constructing the biggest builds and collecting the most resources.

This was part of Survey #4 - full results here.

As part of our next survey I intend to re-ask some of these types of questions, so that:

1. Inclusion - We poll all the newer players for their opinions,
  2. Detail - Ask more precise actionable questions to help guide the development and decision making.

The original answers told us that players currently see Titans as the main “winning” goal. (If such a think even makes sense.) Then they see their own “personal character + gear development” as slightly more significant that “build development”. We appreciate that this may also reflect the style of players in the community: # titan conquers > # character developers > # builders. But either way I was satisfied that, player type or playing preferences - still pointed us in a healthy direction.

I think my overall comment is that we really care about this stuff and are working hard to get it right.

Additional: My original thinking here was that how can you make sure something isn’t pay-to-win, without first understanding what “winning” is.

(Not sure I stated this well enough in my post - so adding it now.)

5 Likes

First one quoted: NEVER!!!
Really? i will need to pay monthly for a game i bought? Sorry but if this happens i will leave this game forever XD really…

The other 2 (quotes)? PAY TO WIN…
In a good MMO nerver pay to win, sorry but i don’t like some options, but this ones? Never…

A lot of MMOs (eg WoW, FF14) have subscription fees even if you already bought the game (this is common). Consider it a rent for the computing power you require on the server. Sony even demands a fee for using your own internet connection (PSN Plus). I can understand that you don’t like it (it’s a polarizing topic) but if you read the original topic you might understand some of the reasons why some of us (espacially i) are for it.

Your second quote never said something about P2W. Expansions and new content need to be financed. This is common in single-player-games too (some examples are SC1/2, AoE 2/3, GW1/2 and their ad-ons… and so on).

P2W means that you are able to buy “unfair” advantages with real-money (definition). Your last quote would be on the edge of P2W but it could be interpreted as a boost too.

With “The other 2” i was refering to the other two quotes, XD my bad, i think it can be understood by context.

But really, a lot of people will never play with monthly fees.

Also, a lot of expasión have a lot of p2w items, or skills.
Buying blocks, in a building crafting game it’s p2w ._.

That’s true especially because it was advertised as “pay once, play forever”.

I wouldn’t like to see a monthly fee. But if the game becomes as good as I hope it will, I’d be willing to pay a small amount.

What you’re describing here is “Power Creep”, and yes many MMOs or games with expansions in general fall into this trap.
But I’d say the chances we’re getting Power Creep are pretty low. Because it’s a Sandbox game and the Devs really care about the game.

@Heurazio
As I already said, this thread is merely a summarization of the suggestions made in the other long term funding thread with a small opinion poll attached to it. An in depth analysis like you are suggesting would be way over the top for now (We don´t know how many character slots we are going to have by default so the opinion about additional char slots is likely a topic to change once we get more information about that, the same goes for additional beacon plots).

If the devs were to make a decision about this it will most likely be based on the results of their survey, not this thread, since a survey reaches all backers and not only the ones active in the forum. That´s why I had the intention to keep this thread very simple.

@werff
I simply listed all potential funding mechanics that were suggested in the other thread so far.
Yes, fees wouldnt be suited for this game and have already been denied by the devs.
Yes, boosts could most likely be considered as P2W and will probably not make it into the game.
Can´t agree with you on addons though, dependent on how the game will be structured in regards of progression, exploring, etc. I´d consider addons (alá WoW) as suitable funding concept.

@james
I like your phrasing of the three possible poll options but how would this translate for funding options like addons (“No one should be able to purchase this” wouldn´t make much sense as answer for addons).

I think the survey should be structured somewhat like this:

I would prefer to continuously spend money on B< through:

• Content Bundles (Addons)
  • Premium membership (just an example)
  • Microtransactions

If the game would include microtransactions I´d be interested in buying this / I wouldn´t be interested in buying this but wouldn’t mind others purchasing this / Don´t think that anybody should be able to purchase this.

• Vanity wearables
  • Vanity pets
  • Decoration skins
1 Like

I would say that he could just structure the question for addons differently?

Would you be willing to buy content expansions if they where added to the game?

• yes
  • no
  • this would stop me from playing the game at all.

if either of the later why?
(insert text box)

3 Likes

ugh monthly fee

1 Like

One of the main reasons I liked this game was because they said there would be no monthly fee (at least that’s how I interpreted it). I hate paying to play a game I already payed for. This is the reason I don’t own MMO games. Here is a photo from their FAQs.

1 Like

It has been made rather clear that it is not really an option but having an idea about how the playerbase persives differetn way of founding games make it easier to come up with ways to, you know found it.

1 Like