Look at these Numbers!

This is crazy.

SteamSpy estimates that people only play for two minutes. Also, the numbers are so far down, that there are only around 350 players on at any time. The all time peak was only 832. This honestly is telling me that the precipitous decline in our player population couples with people who are only, like, fueling their beacons and collecting footfall.

I’m troubled. I’ve been keeping up with trends on this game, passively, but I just noticed that over half of the average population plays for two minutes or less before they move on to something else.

2 Likes

definitely population declines due to new game coming out. Such as Red Dead Redemption 2. Not to mention the fact that the end game can be bought in like 2 days of playtime now

It estimates 20-50k owners, so I’m betting a lot of those 2 minute people are people who have refunded, don’t play or have their profile set to private.
There are about 900-1000 players on at peak times, steam isn’t the only way to play this game.

3 Likes

New games will always be coming out.

Even conservative estimates will still increase average population by ~+/- 20%. This is the most telling measure of the game’s success. I don’t believe that these numbers are inaccurate.

yea, you’re right. heilos is also right

Well the publisher isn’t concerned, and that only shows steam players not ps4.

5 Likes

I understand that it only shows Steam. But if you assume that there are two times the current numbers, then that still isn’t something that is a great barometer for success. The fact that the developers aren’t concerned about this, leads me to believe that we will continue to expect table and chair updates.

The publisher isn’t that concerned about it. Which, I think, implies that they’re taking a long view on the game; not aiming for instant success. (Which also jives with another quote I can’t find, where someone in the know had mentioned that they expect the game to pick up steam sometime next year)

1 Like

http://boundless.ninja/

You’re welcome to start tracking the real numbers

8 Likes

@philelliott works for the publisher, not the game developers. Ultimately they’re the ones the developers have to answer to. It’s also not even peak time, the US west coast are still at work or just getting out of school, same with central.

2 Likes

good because its still buggy as hell and we dont need wasted dev time on big stuff right now

2 Likes

You’re assuming that I wasn’t looking at real numbers. Even if the sample size is not wholly accurate, it doesn’t change that there is still a present trend. You can’t tell me that my information is invalid because of X Y Z, because it still represents an actually confirmed trend. I don’t understand the point of arguing about small variance when the same point is plainly being made. It seems to me that you are being rather confrontational about this.

There is trend analysis. It’s not about a specific instance.

You can’t necessarily expect that ps4 players behave identically to steam players. They might, but if you’re going off of just the steamdb stats, those numbers and trend could very well be biased. It’s a reasonable hypothesis, but not something to conclude as fact

The http://boundless.ninja/ does track the entire player base (giving you snapshots at the current point in time), so will give you a more accurate picture.

1 Like

You’re looking at an external website that tracks less than half the people playing the game and also can’t track private profiles, so sorry but no, you’re not looking at the real numbers.

Also, disagreeing with you isn’t being confrontational.

1 Like

Even so, I could accumulate the data and compile the information myself. It doesn’t actually change that this tool that shows a loose estimate of the health of our game indicates that it is ill. I don’t need many second opinions if I suspect that my child is ill. I go to the doctor. This is a sign, and it’s a bad one. That’s what I’m calling attention to. And obviously, there are a good number of you all who are willing to put on blinders to that fact.

Ok and I’m saying that the trends the publisher has been seeing is/was about 5% loss per week, but of those who remain there is a high degree of engagement. And that they aren’t concerned about these numbers.

So what either of us thinks about the number doesn’t really matter, if the game is doing fine by the indices the publisher uses.

In this case, wouldn’t Phil be the doctor? And he’s telling you you’re being a hypochondriac.

1 Like

Boundless population is almost always double the steam stats population.
Highest peak was 832 which is about 1600 player logged in at once.

This is how boundless population looks like on PC.

It isn’t that much different, people are just playing less. Whole my guild is not playing now and I personally played for over 500 hours in the first 1.5 month since launch and need a break too. It’s natural process but look, people don’t leave in a huge drop. They play for long, it’s slowly decreasing.

Every other MMO had decreasing number of players. Look at eso. Almost every big spike on this graph is a free weekend. Look at the difference in playerbase and the timespan. ESO is part of the Elder scrolls universe. A huge project developed by zenimax. It has like 10x playerbase of boundless and look how huge it is.

Boundless has just been released. Most time after relase has been spent on optimalization and big fixing.

• Developers stated they want to develop the game.
  • We will soon have a roadmap
  • There are features in the game which are not implemented yet to the public.
    • Players have seen beams, blocks hidden within files.
    • New ores underground, new tier of tools.
    • Titans are in development
  • Test tools were just introduced to the game! You don’t develop test tools for players if you don’t plan for the future.

So guys, give everyone time. Devs definitely plan to work on this game and over time there will be more players. We have just started and there is no need to worry. You may underestimate our current playerbase but in 2018, 1000 players online at peak is a huuuuge success for a game studio that did not promote their game before release.

Peace

8 Likes