Magic types

Rather than dividing the different magics into those different sections,

I think the user should be the one that chooses what they do with their own powers.

For example,
Beast can actually fit into every category,
Fire can be in every category too,
same with everything else.

So it should be picking the Magic type(s) first and then how you use them in your adventures next.

I really like the thought of crafting magic through a system. That way, magic would be very similar to weapons in terms of amount of resources needed and assembly in crafting. I think it would be a lot less work for the devs if the magic was this way. They might only have to create a few types of magic, and then allow for endless mixing/matching , color changing, size scaling, brightness, damage, effects, etc.

1 Like

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/introducing-shard-magic-system/1314

1 Like

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/the-lore-of-magic-and-technology-a-massive-suggestion-thread-of-continuously-added-magic-and-oort-tech-lore/995

Jack. Stealing presentation styles like a bossā€¦

1 Like

Just an idea with the deity/god system @Zouls have with enough collected Oortian artifacts etc or enough time spent in temples or the like you get something like corrupted and become part or increasingly like an Oortian and gain more abilities or more information on artifacts/relics as well as more of an idea of the history of Oort.

Also @ben running with the space theme because I love shadow as a magical power have it as just space or the void/vacuum of space and it can be used to teleport from shadow to shadow or maybe create a void/vacuum around a player for a short duration making them unable to move and take damage over time due to the lack of air. Also on a more gruesome note the void power could be used as a ā€˜finishing moveā€™ on a player with very low health and maybe rip them apart (because why not?) using the vacuum. This could look gruesome but also cool to end a fight with. So finishing moves on players with low health I think would be cool.

Gauntlets/gloves that have specific crystals imbedded in them could be used to use the ā€˜magicā€™ like shoot flame out or a shadow to grant invisibility or blindness etc. These could even be something like the ā€˜conduitā€™ from CaptJacks post on magic. Also maybe certain magic could benefit a certain class and add one extra power or buff (like shadow with an assassin and then the assassin would be able to move faster while invisible as a buff etc), the different magic could still be used between classes. Anyway thatā€™s my two cents.

with enough collected Oortian artifacts etc or enough time spent in temples or the like you get something like corrupted and become part or increasingly like an Oortian

Um, that is awesome. :open_mouth:

Gauntlets/gloves that have specific crystals imbedded in them could be used to use the ā€˜magicā€™

Also awesome.

(Seriously though, I like the idea of magically-weaponized gauntlets!!!)

1 Like

Already mentioned that ealier in the post, but yes. it was one of the things that made fable 3 really cool for me, that you could use magic gauntlets, one in each hand, where you could then do combined attacks (fire + storm = flame tornado) things like that.

a cataclyst for magic is a great idea, tera did it with the sorcerer, she had a sort of disk rather than the normal wand or staff, which i highly encourage for alternative magic play. however i would still like to see some of the normal staffs.

@Aura72 you asked ā€˜ā€˜cause why notā€™ā€™ for tearing people in half, please. do remember although this is not a game for children there will still be some elements for them, i dont think you can expect mortal kombat gore in the game, or any gore at all XD

:stuck_out_tongue: I know its a game with aspects for children and yeah I get what your saying and agree but I still think it would be pretty cool (I also looked at Mortal Kombat X yesterday so that was still on my mind).

I was reading this thread before and thought to myself ā€˜gauntlets could be used as the tools for magicā€™ and then saw your post and I was like yeah Iā€™ll say it anyway but with my little twist.

it is a great idea, also the idea of being taineted, maybe by all types of maigc rather than one? so you for example use alot of vortex/shadow magic you would slowly absorb it into your body,not sure if it should be visual. but it could have buffs and debuffs (using shadowmagic makes you more resistant to shadowmagic but more vulnerable to light kinda)

it is worth considering and discussing for sure.

That would be cool and maybe for example when you are tainted with shadow you would have wisps of shadow trailing from your body and Iā€™ve read up there ^^^^ that you like fire and so if tainted with fire you could have small flickers of flame coming from your body, that would be aesthetically pleasing. Maybe you could untaint yourself by using its opposite like Iā€™d use shadow and be tainted with it and so if I used light I would become untainted or I could just use fire a lot and become tainted with that instead.

yeah there could be small visuals for something like this, i would like it, but some might not (if you want a very specific look)

Yeah for me it would add to the game but also you could use the particle effects when attacking other players to see what kind of magic they prefer and it would give more information on whether to attack or notā€¦

Also imagine trolling a newbie with blindness and while waiting for a cooldown or something just being invisible until you can blind him again :stuck_out_tongue:

Reviving this thread because

sounds pretty fun to answer.
The Oortians were a somewhat ā€˜techmagicā€™ race so IĀ“ve chosen rather technical therms because I think they would fit into that setting.

Red - Damage focused - Disruption
Yellow - Illusion focused - Distorsion
Green - Healing focused - Annealing
Blue - CC focused (slowing/immobilzing enemys) - Chronophage
Purple - Summoning based - Mattermancing
White - Buff focused - Junction
Black - Based on block manipulation (removing, creating(fake blocks), throwing) - Singularity