Magic types

This seems to be very combat focused? It would be nice if we could have non combat magic in a game for once :slight_smile:

If it is not to much to ask could you break that text up a bit? It makes it a lot harder to read when it is a single block, it is an interesting concept though.

Iā€™d favor a system where every magic has more or less non-combat abilities. Even combat focused magic can have some non-combat skills which make sense. (Hope that made sense^^)

yes and no (sorry to be annoying)

lets say you have a sort of combat magic that would make building easier or crafting better, then you FORCE the builder or crafter to get that specific combat magic even though they might never want to work with combat.

but in a sense of letting things like wind magic make you jump a bit higher is cool.

Thatā€™s why i proposed something like this :slight_smile:

Even red could probably increase working or movement speed and yellow could be used for mining in the model i presented.

OMG mate, now you made me want magic gloves as weapons >.<

that would be such an amazing way to utilize magic, i always loved the system in fable where you could mix 2 elements.

@ben would this be a possible way to do atleast 1 or 2 kinds of magic?

1 Like

I actually think old Oordt tech lodged in a glove powered by crystals would be a fantastic way of doing ā€œmagicā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just donā€™t get why the builder or crafter would be bothered by the combat aspect of the magic he uses to build?
And in my vision are no borders on which magic you choose and were your spells come from.
Take one from the combat oriented magic and another one from the healing magic. Just because theyā€™re different classes of magic theyā€™re still magic overall^^

progression. the more you use a magic type the better it becomes and the more ways you can use it. if you force a crafter to level up combat to get certain perks that is basically neccesary to make good stuff it gets kinda sadā€¦

Ć²r are you saying you should start with all magic types and spells? because that would either be really really sad or really really confusing.

no i mean if you can use a magic for something else than combat, then you can train it that way. No need to fight at all.

that would also allow people to just farm combat skills without any risk of dying since they dont have to enter combat. doesnt it?

that would also mean that a crafter could easily level up combat skills too without being a combat hence making actual fighting unnessecary and makes it so that any fool can have insane combat skill level without ever working for it.

its a fine idea of having magic be multi purpose ofc. i just want to make a clear distinction between crafters and fighters, a fighter should able to level up his fighting to the max without ever having to dive into crafting, in a sense that he could just buy from crafters, and crafters should be able to max out crafting without ever being forced to level up combat, in a sense that he buys mats.

ok hmā€¦ Iā€™m sometimes not so good in describing my thoughts^^
I mean that the grouping of magic (that red,blue,yellow stuff) is just grouping. Maybe every magic has seperate skill trees for combat or non combat or you just take the spell you want an lvl that without touching the others. From any magic you want.
Clearer?^^

that would be cool.

Middle ground. what about the idea of splitting every type of magic into Offensive, Defensive and Utility trees?

hm generaly a good idea but the predefined splitting of combat into offensive and defensive could take some of the flexibility.

Think of magic use like this: I can use fire to burn not just enemies, but trees, and my neighborā€™s house as well.
Of course hopefully weā€™ve learned to control the output by now and use my pyromaniac abilities more constructively like by making a campfire or using it to cheat at cooking by not being chained to having an oven with me.
While this isnā€™t exactly presenting anything new and some may wonder why I bothered mentioning this, because itā€™s almost obvious, but this is how you should consider your ideas before you present it to us.
The ability to use a power-> the ability to control the power better-> the ability to increase the output/efficiency-> stylish mastery.
So say my power is fish, sounds like Iā€™m a grandmaster mage right? So the fish power Iā€™ve just recently learned lets meā€¦ breathe like a fish, so water breathing. Move to the control stage, I can now move faster in water or spit water in peopleā€™s eyes. Power, I can summon fish friends to distract foes/geyser strength splashing. Mastery, my fish army isnā€™t just for selfishly saving myself, but now I can order them to go find ores for me/walk on water.

This. This is actually interesting.

So, something that was mentioned in one post was making magic substantial through stuff in-game. One mod that I loved for Minecraft was Ars Magika 2. You literally created spells through recipes and discovery, and could build them to function in really neat ways. I would love to see it work like that here. Players love the elements that are basic, but I think they could be put with an interesting twist here.

For example, instead of fire, offer a way to use lava. Itā€™s a very deadly substance, but combined with the right crystal or other item, it could be used as a weapon. I imagine having to attempt to harvest lava in some manner, from one of the worlds. Then, I must traverse to another land for some special ore that will offer up shooting ā€œmagicā€ when added to a staff or bow. On a staff, the combination gives off a deadly ā€œlava-beamā€. On a bow, the arrows are so hot, they will pierce some of the toughest blocks.

Another could be nature magic. A rare flower can be combined with the same mineral used from what I mentioned earlier to have different effects on the same weapons. On a staff, it allows the wielder to do a healing spell. On a bow, it leaves the target poisoned with a toxin that keeps them from being able to sprint for long periods of time.

I honestly think OO could benefit from the ability to really create magic rather than just going with the staple spells on items or classes.

How about creating your own magic ?

1. You choose the attribute(s): earth, water, fire etc.
  2. You choose the type: missile, aura, aoe(rain, explosion, etc) etc. (kinda reminds me of Two Worlds 2 now :laughing:)
  3. And the most fun part: Designing the spell after you imagination.
    -Letā€™s say you take fire attribute and a missile, (in this example Iā€™ll assume that we have 3 levels to master the fire attribute), you get 10 blocks for each lvl (maybe you can get more for a quest or by reading a random book in the world ?)
    -You can create the shape of the spell how you like and the damage or strenght of effect depends on the amount of blocks used.
    -Additional effects can be added by using poisonblocks (its use restricted with some attributes and can be used in combination with water) or some other block like that so itā€™s not something boring which makes you think ā€œOhā€¦ greatā€¦ another simple fireball with nothing specialā€¦ wow :neutral_face:ā€
    Through logical restriction like not being able to use a burning dot with a water spell, or frozen with a fire spell, or a spell which is nearly 5 times as big as you (which restricts the amount of blocks being used in the creation. (I mean, come on, if you play a small character (about 1,30m) and cast a spell which has a diameter of 6m it gets a little bit ridiculous but still a little bit badass thoughā€¦ but lets keep it realistic even though its something unrealistic :laughing: )
    Also adding status effects such as frozen, slowed, poisoned and trying to expand the duration will result in reducing the damage the spell does with its main attribute which regulates the power of the spells used. If I create a water-missile with 1 waterblock and 29 poisonblocks, its initial dmg will be nearly 0, but the dot will be much stronger and last longer.

Edit: Forgot to mention one thing:
You donā€™t want to shoot just a bunch of red blocks and call it a firespell, each block has its own aura around.
If you take a fireblock, its a little bit transparent and ofc its burning, or more like ā€œits more fire than a blockā€ but still, the components are each blocks which take their shapes later ofc.