Magic types

when comparing games, please always try to compare vanilla games

Thats why i kinda kept to the more classical magic here, though more in a Pen and Paper way than the classical RPG game.

Thats what you got hellfire for :blush: (Also if we put in something like energy you have fire and parts of wind in that mix)

Sighā€¦ that makes me sad. im most likely not gonna play mage though so eh.

@ben ever thought of a god/deity system? like there might be like 13 or 14 all representing different parts of life and death that would affect your stats depending on which one you choose?

because then celestial magic could be a thing.

The thing about Minecraft is that it lacks fireballs, but they have been modded in by different mod authors. The actual magic system is centered around potion brewing and enchanting, and as a base vanilla game it works quite well. Of course I do hope we get some nice flashy spells for vanilla either way.

i also discussed that at one point. how should the effects be made in the game?

i love the magic in final fantasy, it is so pretty to look at, minor problem is that you can see absolutely nothing when using it, but still xD

I have no idea, but anything that fits the art-style is good by me. The environmental/atmospheric effects in Oort are already really impressive.

Maybe each world has a different affinity for different magic types? One world has stronger red magic but weaker yellow and black magic for example. That might encourage experimentation if elemental/color magic is a thing. Pvp areas could be more balanced to be neutral to all types of magic.

Have you considered not trying to have categorized magic at all and just use pure arcane energy? That might materialize as a firebolt but wouldnā€™t necessarily need to be locked into fire as an element.

1 Like

If we have anything ā€˜magicalā€™ in Oort Online it probably wonā€™t feel like or be described as magic. The Oort were an incredibly scientifically advanced race, they did incredible things using resources, crystals within the weird universe, but it wasnā€™t magic (ie: something from nothing).

4 Likes

I agree, maybe something so technologically advanced that it just looks like magic might work better for Oort. In that case Ben I think that a resource-based magic system might be the way to go instead of an internal MP based magic system. Iā€™m thinking something with those different colors of crystal (maybe a refined form of Oort stone?) and equipment that allows you to use that distilled power to bend reality (as seen with Oort stone portals as a passive form of this ā€œmagicā€).

I think that would be a very cool direction and has a lot of potential.

1 Like

did they by any chance make flamethrowers?

What part makes you sad? If we do this good enough we are probably going to have basically the same attacks but not through the ā€œElementalistā€ approach.

Yeah we definitely need divine magic :slight_smile:

Ah from that point of view we could put in some totally other things for the colors. Lets just say that the powers come from crystals one way or another.

Red: Blood (Empowering the caster with different buffs acquired from crystals embed into his flesh)
Yellow: Energy (Crystals that can be triggered/thrown to create bursts of fire/heat/electric damage)
Green: Life (Healing allies, making crops grow faster through magic or that sort of thing)
Purple: Enchantment (Empowering tools/armor through crystals lodged in you gloves)
White: Artificing (Creation of tools with different ā€œmagicalā€ properties)
Black: Creation (With help from other mages (or if the person can do other magic himself) creating stationary machines with special abilities)

The last twos creations will probably be powered by crystals too (if crystals is the power source)

Let me propose my idea of Technomancy!

The technomancer is unlike other magic weilders in that his abilities are based on self augmentations and novel use of a combination of ancient forgotten tech and experimental technology. To the uninitiated, his abilities seem magical in there power! Technomancers use oort warp tech an a short range teleport in battle, shock webs to snare and stun targets, fire exotic weapons or even summon a tech-golem to fight with them. Drawback is that they must craft everything they use, and must be careful to not run out in combat.

1 Like

so basically an Engineer no?

Yes and no. The technomancer is different than an engineer in that he takes incomprehencable oort tech and builds around it with his own tech to create things that can not be replicated by current tech. Namely, warp tech and ai for his minions, oort power sources, etc. Heā€™s also different from other oort tech users in that rather than use oort tech to enhance his abilities or cast spells, the oort tech enhances his creations.

Oortomancer > magicuser

I like the idea of relating colours to melodies, or different, slightly sustained sound effects. Maybe combining different colour blocks could result into a sound glitter.
For example, basic complemetary contrasts could be related to two completely different sound effects which add up into an interesting sound mixture. I know this sounds very vague, but maybe it gets clearer with following:
One could set up an array of different coloured (or even shaped) blocks, and with walking by this array the sounds are being played, blending from one block\sound, into the next.
One could also place blocks in in a line starting with yellow, orange, red, purple, blue. And just see what happens when you walk by. Maybe the sound gets louder, or sweeter, or it actually plays a tune. :flushed:

In the same order of colors

Shear Magic- Raw damage dealing force
Chain Magic- Magic Focusing on Quickly placed traps and hitting lots of people at once. Medium damage with the potential for side effects to be caused
Binding Magic- Stopping the movement of your foes, while dealing out multiple status effects (poison / paralysis and even some loopy visual effects like their on shrooms.) [if you want to really evil it could have control scheme reversing power as well]
Flow Magic-Fast and sweeping magic with high accuracy/damage and long range, with a low damage/high defense and mobility setup for close range
Illusion Magic- Mess heavily with your opponents senses (Anywhere from scary nightmare visions to near blackout and FOV shifting)- makes it nearly impossible to fight back against illusion magic, but illusion magic users have very limited offensive power.
Clean Magic- Multiple healing/buff effects to place on your friends, fixing ailments caused by other classes, with a couple weaker aoe attacks that involve lots of light
Brackish Magic- Invisibility and close range melee/ shotgun like spells- sneak up and then fire off big damage attacks. Clean magic would reveal brackish users within a certain range. High movement speed

4 Likes

Redeeming Red, Yelling Yellow, Grand Green, Boulder Blue, Perishing Purple, Wacky White, Baby Black. My list is done! I win!

So after coming up with random things that start with the same letters as the color choices presented in the question let me explain: Redeeming Red, Iā€™m going to pretend this has something to do with honor, so knights, so armor, thus magic centered around altering/improving equipment/weapon properties. Yelling Yellow, makes you want to rip your ears off right? Well maybe you want your enemies ripping theirs off, obviously sounds like sound manipulation magic, so basically illusions.

Grand Green, Iā€™m thinking of using left over wood in the surrounding environment (because you and everyone else probably killed the forest by now) to assist you in your battles by having them (yes them, the wood blocks will attack) grab hold of or whip your enemies with their viney or fruity wrath.
Boulder Blue, yes earth magic by a stranger name or quite possibly the ability to paint rocks blue. Preferably, Iā€™m referring to the first one, because who doesnā€™t like flinging large objects at your foes and watching them get crushed, but if the second option appeals then maybe the blue paint is special and has clairvoyant mining properties.
Perishing Purple, you might think Iā€™m talking about necromancy and trust me, Iā€™m thinking about it as I type, but no itā€™s about food. Yes the ability to play with your food and toss it at your enemies, because they are allergic to space carrots.

Wacky White, what could possibly be better than being in a tight spot, desperately trying to fend off enemies, only to suddenly have the energizer bunny appear out of nowhere and dig a crater in the ground with its drum sticks? If you want to really know what this magic is itā€™s easiest to say really random.

Baby Black, you like games with minions? Or maybe using your children as ammo? (Looking at you Nintendo) Now I donā€™t expect this game to let you have children, so letā€™s pretend itā€™s a spirit summoning magic that gives them physical form and then if your a fan of Pikmin, we can then throw them at a monsters teeth which hopefully makes a good enough distraction allowing you to get away while your followers die for you selflessly.

I hope you enjoy reading this and while some of these may also be unoriginal, I hope some of these catch someoneā€™s fancy.

It would be cool if you could summon elemental golums to protect or attack enemies. I would really want ice magic to be as useful as other magics as well, because in other games, itā€™s just not as good as fire or lightning. Ice could be used offensifly, by firing ice spikes, it could be used defensively, be creating a spiked wall. Utility wise, I think others have it there, but what Iā€™m trying to say is that ice magic should be as useful as fire and ice.