Mineable or Gathered Oort

I’ve seen friends leave the game for the above reason, so I can confirm it.
Mining Oortstones would make the game sooooo much better for me, and I’m 90% sure that some people I know who left the game would come back if oortstones could be mined on T6 worlds (gonna ask them, actually).

I just have to disagree, plain and simple.

Once you consider that some players (like me and my friends) see Hunts as just the worst gameplay provided in Boundless, no, Oort is NOT good the way it is.

Firstly, generally, most hunts are organized in hours where I should be asleep, so that’d very limiting.
Then, when you’re in a good group, it becomes BORIIIIIIING. You could stay on the dirt-grapple-tower and do nothing, it’d work. That is NOT compelling gameplay.

Plus, I find the whole thing super janky, with how people make floatting platforms to jump from…
I mean… I appreciate that they’re here now, but if we could do without all that, I’d be happier.

I wish I could keep my portals and NEVER EVER have to go on a hunt ever again.
I hate that gameplay. I’d rather leave it to people who actually enjoy it.

And it makes no sense that Oortstone would only be found on meteorites.

Why not on Meteorites, Exo Worlds AND T6 worlds? Change the values to make it more valuable to run hunts.

If there was the option to mine Oortstones on permanent T6-7 worlds, I’d definitely plot an outpost to mine in the reserved zone below.
As long as it’s public, I don’t think it’s a problem.
But you can’t refuse a mechanic because a minority of players would be trolls.

3 Likes

Personally i dont see any reason to take this to “Solo” player thing… if you are soloplayer… you got one (1) 1x2 portal to get you to local hub. that fuels 900shards=5weeks.
5 weeks is pretty good time and you get to do multiple things while taking care of the fuel.
If you are a solo player… and you have 2x2 or bigger portal then i wouldnt even consider to complain how hard is to get oort.

That being said i do like the idea that you could even gather oort some otherway than hunting. Maybe not so efficiant than hunting but still something

Yeah I think introducing more Oort to the world is a good thing, but I’d also say we probably need more uses for Oort. Vehicle fuel, maybe if we get interesting machines that do things, big lights, whatever.

2 Likes

I think that oort should remain with hunting so that hunters have something of value to sell to then buy new weapons when they break and brews and food. Just because oort has value doesnt mean it is expensive. That money flows back into the economy. Coin has to move for this to work economically wise.

I think builders need to be rewarded more for their creations.

I dont think the answer is making everything in the game abundant.

Edit: I think we need more efficient portal networks. Right now we have networks porting to networks not a network connection hub. It’s impossible to find things as it is. I dont think having multiple portals for everyone is helping. I think everyone would benefit better if they had a single portal to their place and connected it to a hub.

Edit: part of the problem with the game is there are too many portals for each location. When you walk into a shop you see a dozen connecting portals. I understand why it’s happening to increase traffic. But it’s a confusing web of portals that are easily frustrating new players. We need less confusion if we are to keep new players.

Edit: I do understand solo player complaints. But this is really a creative mmo. It’s not supposed to be minecraft. We are supposed to interact. This game isn’t growing because it’s trying to cater to everyone. Its impossible to please everyone.

Edit: we need to create a game with a stable economy. The devs keep introducing rare resources to boost the economy, and the player base keeps killing their creations by making them available everywhere and overly abundant.

If we want people to interact in an economy game, there has to be rare resources.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone here is arguing for that.
In this case, we’re arguing for Oortsonte to be available through other ways than Hunts.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone would plot areas for ‘oort veins’ if they could appear at any level on any planet (maybe slightly more on higher tiers).

Some very interesting and controversial ideas in here, i like it.

I’d like to add a suggestion for oort farming though; what if the prestige crops (which tbh are very easy to get a hold if even early on) had a very low chance of dropping oort when withered and broken? Like a 5 or 10% ballpark, possibly (but not necessarily) aided by gather and luck. This would mean that anyone could in theory get some; the land needed to make an economically impactful oort farm would be impractical, but it does in a way “pay back” those who have had bad luck and rapid deaths of plants? Just a thought, but it seems like a nice gap for farmable oort from plants that already don’t have associated drops.

if it was more scattered like coal then there would be no point to reserving as it could be anywhere

2 Likes

Yeah exactly what I meant. Somewhere above someone said about the worry of areas being plotted for oort mining, that’s why I said it :slight_smile:

+1 for any system of acquiring Oort other than hunting.

3 Likes

I’d be fine with a new inorganic oortstone crop which gives a baaaad crop yield % (like 30%) but can be capped at 100% seed yield.
And you can find the seeds only on exo worlds / hunts.

1 Like

I agree that oort should come from more than just meteor hunts or the paltry few that roadrunners produce, but adding it to general mining seems boring to me. I would much prefer different events outside of just meteors or even just mobs that spawn clad in oort kinda like elementals that could drop shards or rough oort. I also really think we need more enemy types, and larger ones that take time to bring down. Anything new introduced to the game could bring more ways to get oort (and hopefully some new item types as well :wink:).

I can completely understand the concern around prices. I guess my only response could be that if Oort is that much of a requirement for the economy to survive then we should be pretty scared about the game. Not everything is becoming common at this point. This is one item out of colors, gleam, seeds, and other things. We have a ton of items and stuff and Oort should be only a small part of it and not the major money maker for people. If it is, then there is a balance issue for sure.

You also mention killing hunting and Oort being the only profit for a Hunter. I would see that as another huge problem with the game. I just don’t see the rationale in not changing the game in any way because we have to keep things working for other people in however they do it now. It seems to make more sense to me to fix Hunting then instead of making parts of the game not work.

If we hurt any person that plays solo or can’t make MMO hunts work for them to keep portals open just to save a shop person or one class of the game, then we are making huge mistake. Fix the issues and make the game work for everyone.

2 Likes

Other than feathers its the only thing I can make any income on, at least when having to buy weapons, food, and brew. The costs add up. Everything else sells for so little, if I didn’t sell oort or feathers I’d not be able to afford forged bows

I do not like, No, I HATE games that put a restriction of how much of something you can get via normal means. If a player is willing to put in the time to get something, they should get it, needing to cap the amount allowed to be mined, is a sign of lazy balancing in my book in most cases. The only time it makes sense is to do so is limit things that can be used to influence Gear Progression in competitive games., This game is neither competitive nor doses it contain gear at this time.

This also might promote multi-boxing or mutli-accounts as a way to get around such things.

Sigh…

If you want to make oort radioactive to the point it could cause the player damage, then you would also need to add in an new item that it will decay into over time for both the stuff found in the ground and the stuff you pulled out of the ground, then people might complain that their oort will decay into something else if they hold onto it for many months or years. and we would need lead storage boxes and lead pigs to store the oort in such a way it is not going to hurt you when you are standing to close to it in your base.

3 Likes

EDIT: I removed a possibly-too-snarky comment from this post. Sorry i was laughing about it but hey, sometimes it’s best not to tease.

TBF this radiation idea may be better than putting blocks randomly evenly distributed around a planet that you can’t break with a hammer lol.

Boundless!~

I wonder whether placing unbreakable blocks to eat up your durability and additional tools will retain more or less players than slowly poisoning us while we mine … ?

4 Likes

Actually I would never expect players to have damage from handling it or anything that would require decay. It is just a simple way to limit the amount someone can acquire in a run per day or whatever. It really comes down to the Devs and how they want to handle something like that. They could easily use something else than a radiation…

Personally I still stand that Oort should not be the limiting factor for portals. Something else needs to manage that. So if that is fixed then I don’t see a need to limit Oort.

1 Like

I will take this statement as a concession to the radioactive idea, so I don’t have to fill this topic with posts the size of novels about radioactivity.

I did not understand it in the 1st place.

I am not sure I understand why Oort would have to limited for someone mining it versus someone hunting for it. I do not see anyone saying a hunter should be limited to a certain amount of Oort per day so the other players that want to hunt can also sell for coin. Why should someone that hunts get some special protection from competition? The players that gather got competition from farming. Players that mine also have hunters getting gems.

Since players are not limited by the game to a single role I see no reason for the game to limit a resources availability to a single action( hunting in this case). I am definitely not in favor of any mechanic like radiation that tries to limit players or forces more useless maintenance type actions. I still like the idea of tiers of Oort like we have with coal. If the best Oort came from meteors then that might work. Just put the lower shard yielding Oort where it can be mined.

2 Likes

The idea behind a limitation is because we see everywhere in this game scenarios of limitation. So it is a smart practice to assume the developers MIGHT want to limit the resource in some way. The common way to date. has been only putting it in some locations which leads to a whole host of other problems. By shifting the model from limitation by location to that of “player based” it helps make it available to all players while still meeting their objectives.

I had hoped people would understand the deeper concept on why I presented the idea instead of just focusing on the idea and disagreeing. I certainly could have presented it better but didn’t want to add a bunch more text, but it would be nice to see people coming up with ideas on how we could limit the resource while still being in a common state for everyone. This way we have ideas incase the Devs do want to limit it.

I don’t see how saying they can use “something else that radiation” is a concession to allow radiation. It is a statement that says 1) I don’t want to come up with another way right now, 2) I know I am not making the decision on what to use and am allowing the developers to choose.

P can still give other ideas on how to limit the resource or acquisition of Oort and I would be welcome to chat about it. I think it is smart to do that just incase it is needed.

Since I do not have actual metrics or anything showing what is gathered and not as well as no understanding on if the developers would allow a common stream of resources, I figured it would be better to give them idea on how to limit the resource instead of just leaving it up to them to come up with ideas. We have seen that they do like scarcity and moved Oort from a more common method of delivery (monster hunts) to the more isolated model of meteors. In the end they will still decide but at least they can see examples of what people might like in a way to limit the resource IF they choose to do so versus having no examples.

With meteors there is an inherent limiting factor - time and the amount of meteors that can be spawned. With mining, outside of resource distribution, we have 3x3 hammers and people that can cut through and find resources very quickly. Time isn’t as much an issue because they don’t have to wait for something else to show and they only have to just find the resource.

1 Like