Mining for Gems is not fun anymore. Here is a rant and some suggestions to fix that

Since the changes to bomb mining it has caused people to feel very frustrated. I would have to say I agree with them.

My issue is with bomb mining being SO powerful and then it was just taken away without something to kinda fill the gap in between.

Since the update I have tried regular mining (Couldn’t afford, find or craft an AOE hammer) and bomb mining. In all of that I have found maybe 3 or 4 veins. At this point this portion of the game is just frustrating and no fun at all to me. It just causes frustration when I get down there and can’t find any gems and then more frustration when I remember how many gems I used to be able to get. I have no problem coming out of an mining excursion with less gems than I used to but I’m not finding any.

Luckily, there is so much more to the game than just the gems so I have been having my fun elsewhere while I patiently wait for a fix. I know that I will eventually hit a wall where I feel I need the gems finally and hopefully something will be done to make the situation better.

Now for the Suggestions to fix:

Forged Bombs which cause them to do less dmg to ore
 Increase Gem Spawn rate
 Increase Cave Spawn rate
 Make it easier to make AOE tools for players earlier in the game that don't have the Gems to forge
 Increase Gem drop rate from Meteors

These are just a few ideas to help fix it and I really help something is done soon. I am having fun with other aspects of the game, I haven’t played anything else since launch actually. It would be such a bummer if excitement for this game died due to how tough getting Gems is at this point.

Thanks for your time.

10 Likes

I agree completely, It takes forever to find the gems on lvl 5 planets for power coils, let alone trying to use iron to try and find diamond and titanium to just be able to make tools to dig through common material blocks at a somewhat reasonable pace. Why at least, do the common blocks have to be stronger and harder to break on higher lvl planets? Higher tier resource blocks make sense to be harder to break but trying to use iron/silver/gold hammers to break through is so sluggish, and by the time I actually find what I’m looking for, ive spent an hour or two plus searching with most of my mining gear broken for very minimal return. The common blocks like rocks, gravel, dirt, and sand should have the same health across the board on all planets. Making the game this grindy has completely turned me off from playing the game anymore. So frustrating just sitting there hacking away and breaking your items on trash blocks to be able to find higher tier resources. I don’t play these types of games to be a merchant and work the economy, I want to be able to grow on my own terms, but this game has made the solo path insanely difficult, and monotonous.

6 Likes

I don’t even have to read, I already know an easy fix.

Ahem.

COPY MINECRAFT!

Seriously. Make Dirt, Soil, Clay, Rocks, Trees, and so on have the Same health, across every planet. Higher level tools, swinging faster and breaks them in fewer hits.

Then make each Resources needing a Specific Tool Material, or higher, to break. So can’t break a Diamond with Iron tools, you need a Titanium. Or other way around, I don’t know how the Materials work at high end.

Either way, have the Tool Materials work in linier realm. Stone can only break copper and below. Copper can only break Iron and below. Iron can only break Silver and below. And so on. That tool, can only be used to unlock the next tool in the line of Progression. An Iron, can not break Titanium, or Gem Resources.

Next, have the materials EXCLUSIVE to a World Level. In other worlds, Copper is ONLY found on Lvl 1 worlds. Iron is find ONLY on Level 2 Worlds. Silver is ONLY found on lvl 3 worlds and so on.

If you go to a lvl 6 world, you shouldn’t be finding Copper, Iron, Silver, Gems, and other low tier items. You should ONLY be finding High Tier items on a High Tier World.

1 Like

Honestly, you don’t even need bomb mining or a full 3x3 aoe hammer to effectively mine gems. I bought a diamond hammer (forged to mine 2 blocks aoe, idk what it’s called). It cost me 20k, but with persisting food, I was able to make back almost triple what I’d spent.

If you don’t have a reliable method of income, just save up coins from the objectives you complete. I did a combination of that, selling stuff, and gathering footfall (I make 1-3k a day in footfall) to earn income.

Also I’m kind of glad that we can find iron and whatnot on high level worlds. I don’t want to invest the time to go to a lower level world just to mine those lower level resources that I mostly use for building now. It’s kind of nice to happen upon them in the search for gems and titanium; that way, I only have to go to one place to mine what I need. If anything, maybe make the ratio of lower level to higher level materials more skewed towards higher level materials on higher leveled worlds.

I agree. In early access, only silver (gold too I think but I never used gold) hammers and up could break gems. I was incredibly surprised to find that iron hammers can now break gems too.

Isn’t this game based around being creative? But if people get too creative, you punish them… Super cool.

3 Likes

Don’t be so obtuse with your logic of the nerf. There are people who got creative around the nerf. Several threads exist showing how. You’re simply being lazy and don’t want to adapt.

And there was nothing “creative” about bomb mining. You’re spamming bombs to blow up huge craters because it yielded you 20x ROI. The solutions people are offering now are creative.

2 Likes

I agree 100% on this. Removing them would be detrimental. All my copper goes straight into machined cubes now becuase I might aswell get the exp for refinement and the prestige when I decide to use it for a future build.

“Just buy them” is not a proper answer. You should be able to solo all the way without ever visiting a shop.

I found the some suggestions from the OP and second post good places to start looking for answers.

Bomb mining, IMO, is not it.

3 Likes

Why not just have bombs u can forge specifically for mining?

Got to love “Just buy them”

1 Like

I’m just buying coils and planning on buying 80 rough gems in a few days to make my own coils. I’ve stopped mining untill it’s fixed. Which is not a problem, I just changed my shop from selling tools to foods now that the surface resources been fixed :stuck_out_tongue: 80k to buy gems is a smack in the face, but on the other hand the food market has opened up since 199 so it evens out.

Why not just have bombs designed to mine then? If they take away something from the player they gotta give something back. Having a list of patch notes would be great.

How creative ?
Their method only can get like 40 -100 gems in 1 hour.
I am just using the 9 block aoe gme hammer i can get 100- 150 in 1 hour too.

The result still very time wasting.

before with the best tool set up we can get 720 gems in 1 hour.
Now we can only get 100 - 150 with the most powerful tool set up in the game.

Right now gem business is not worth to host in the game.
The forge ingredient / food shop can make you even more profit.

1 Like

8 hours in besevrona in emerald and amethys spots very light blue -white destroyed 18 iron hammers 6x titanium , 5 iron bomb bags, total bored terrible work without any cave only digging in rock and rewards is: 25 amethys and 30 emeralds 120 light coal 98 medium and 150 iron OMG OMG OMG not again .i no need gems now this isnt fun only terrible bored hard work without any fun . i test it 3x in 4 days but today is last :frowning:

3 Likes

Took me 3 hours last night strip mining with cross aoe diamond hammer and another player for us to pull 110 amethyst from besevrona. Im averaging 30 gems per hour whether i strip mine aoe or bomb mine so i guess the devs got what they wanted. Not fun. Im even maxdd into hammer skills. Now ive got to farm 300+ exotic yams today so i can make persisting food and get 100 or so shimmering orbs to make more forging supplies >.< then maybe tomorrow i can go mining again so maybe i can make some coils

1 Like

Why not just have bombs designed to mine then?

Because they were right to change it. It was way too effective for too little cost compared to other forms of mining.

1 Like

The Boundless version of “Let them eat cake” :smiley:

Why not we had multiple whiny people complain hourly that it was to strong!

1 Like

You can care about something while still being constructive/not being a ■■■■. If you have an argument for why Bomb mining was good, please make that argument. Calling people that disagree with you “whiny kids” does nothing to further this discussion and contributes to this forum turning into more of a cesspool.

No was a dumb change and they nerfed it so much it is worthless now, you prob were one of the whiny kid complaining daily bout it!

Okay, so you are the kind of internet troll that just responds with ad hominem attacks against anyone who disagrees with you. Thanks for showing your true colors so we all know you can be ignored.

2 Likes