Modding suggestion

Personally theres a few things id love to see in the current modding scene as basic as it appears currently and thats a simple way to modify textures. I enjoy the current art style of boundless but id like to change it up occasionally.

I have a particular love for realism packs and gothic themed packs that give the world a dark undertone. Along with this, the ability to add custom sounds and music, basically allowing the modding community to give the game any sort of themed ambiance they can imagine.

3 Likes

I think texture packs (or resource packs as MiNeCrAfT calls them now) would be an AMAZING addition to Boundless. I’ve brought up this in the past, and one of the developers responded and said she believes it to be possible, but creating them would be more difficult here than Minecraft or many other games that allow that.

Boundless is beautiful, but I’d love to see the community come up with their own varieties of textures and such to be played with. ^.^

2 Likes

Actually, it was two developers. Both @jesshyland and @james responded to it. I’m very hopeful for this in the future. :smiley:

1 Like

I think this would be bad… The last thing we need is a Minecraft texture pack… This game needs its own identity and adding a way for a troll to be like haha see it’s a Minecraft clone would be awful.

2 Likes

And would that troll be someone with any sort of power and influence to hurt the game in some way? Incredibly unlikely. I’m not entirely sure how you think it could be a problem. Could you elaborate a bit more?

This is an incredibly short sighted comment. Using your logic allowing mods at all allows someone to mod in Minecraft objects and claim this game is just another clone. The truth of the matter is that mods add an aditional replayability factor to the game and texture packs allow players to customize their game to the look and feel they want. You want it to look like MC go right for it but in the end it still feels like Boundless and plays like Boundless therefor it must be Boundless.

1 Like

Lets get the game into a full release first…

2 Likes

I was simply talking about the texture pack.

the other issue is that a texture pack hurts the market when it comes to selling blocks based on color.

1 Like

This is definitely a legitimate concern, actually…

1 Like

The market is a much more valid concern, I agree but when it comes down to it, youre going to make more money from selling crafting mats than building blocks. Youll still easily find people who would rather purchase these blocks anyway to avoid the grind of gathering for larger builds. Personally I think even though you could texture stones to look like another block that is much harder to obtain, is it worth it to do that for high quality builds or is it more worth texturing them for the material they actually are and finding those rarer blocks elsewhere.

Having a house made of diamond may seem nice to some but its overall useless when that diamond isnt anything more than reskinned rocks or dirt. This is all speculation though I think the argument has its merits. I didn’t mean for it to sound like an attack @SethLarcomb but the initial logic you used made no sense in the way it was presented with your original reply in this thread.

Modding the textures is already possible if you alter the games assets directly. Obviously it would be much easier for everyone if there was an assisted downloading and installing process.

What Jess was reporting is that the material rendering and hence pipeline and hence assets are more complicated than Minecraft’s. It’s not impossible but would require much more effort, especially if you wanted to take advantage of all the rendering features.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much what I was kind of getting at. Some form of texture modding tool would be nice. Modifying the core files, though possible, can be a bit more difficult than simply replacing an image. What are the chances of us getting something like this?

If you just want to replace existing textures, Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.net can all edit DDS files.

3 Likes

If someone did add a texture pack to their game wouldn’t they be only ones to see it like that? So if someone did change gravel to diamonds in terms of textures/images so for them their house looks like it’s made of diamonds but everyone else that doesn’t have the texture pack installed it would still just look like gravel? …The same if they sell blocks

LOL

-Look at my house! A build by diamond house!
-What? Are you kidding me? I only saw gravel!

3 Likes

If you have experimental new texture dds file available can provide to download?

1 Like

Which version of PS and does it need a plugin for the file type? Personally id love to see an open source installer brought to the community so less tech savvy folks have easy access to installing Texture Packs and whathaveyou. The way I see it, open it up, it has a Boundless themed UI and all you do is feed it the install directory and the zip file the texture pack is snuggly tucked away in and it copies all the files into the game.

Another option i feel is better is having boundless handle texture packs the same way that MC does in which it allows on the fly switching.

Nvidia makes a plugin for Photoshop which works pretty well. Just search for the Nvidia DDS plugin. Should work with any version of Photoshop, I use it with the latest version.

1 Like

I just think the textures you guys have created are a bit too complex for my understanding. I’ve tried looking through the texture files, and I’ll see like… eighteen gray-scale textures for sedimentary rock (which I’m assuming are overlays, different colors/shades, et cetera…), so I don’t really even know where to begin with editing. That’ll be left up to the people who understand this sort of thing better. At least until you have something that assists with texture editing as James was talking about. :slight_smile: