Mods & Cross Platform

The devs are treating the platforms equally, it’s sony that’s gimping the PS4 version by having a ton of rules for what’s allowed and what’s not. Everyone is allowed to use the PC version with mods, so it is a choice the player is making when playing on the PS4.

If we only had access to all account characters regardless of the platform it’d be perfect. Is it another sony thing to disallow this?

I don’t understand how mods are working around the game mechanics though? Which mod is doing it?

1 Like

Well fallout and Skyrim have mods on ps4 and i think a few other games. So I’m not entirely sure it’s Sony

Those are curated, the players can’t install a custom self-made mod on the console. That comes from sony.

The mods need to be approved by Sony and can’t make the core gameplay easier or a glitch if I remember Sony’s reasons behind allowing Skyrim mods

Anything that changes how the games code to make it easier for an individual is working round the game’s mechanics.

The example you brought up yourself, making meteors easier to see from further away by making them larger, the devs made it a specific way, presumably because they thought any larger would be too easy or whatever.

I hear rumours of xray specs, count down timers on beacons among other things.

These I don’t know if true, but if the devs came out and said this is not possible or that they are taking steps to make sure it’s not possible, or at the very least they do not support any players making these changes that would help.

Of course, if they are in support of people working around the systems they put in place, then that would be good to know as well.

And to be honest, saying nothing is as good as showing support.

The argument of it’s your choice what platform you play on is a pretty weak one really.

Would you expect people to go buy a PC?

I think the more likely choice would be to accept that Boundless allows a different platform to make the game easier (cheat, in my opinion) or to stop supporting the game.

2 Likes

Plus, those are not a cross platform persistent live universe.

This is my issue, when you have private servers, break the game as much as you want on that.

And this is my issue.

If this is possible, it should not be the reserve of part of the player base, everyone should be able to do it, or no-one.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why don’t says yes or no. That’s why gta V is still the same after 7-8-9 years. It’s not like game genie will ever work again

Hmmm must have changed it. Cause I know there was ones that changed music, graphics and changed how the skills worked

Microsoft has 95% of ps4 games that you can play anywhere. Most games outside ps4 can be crossplayed.

I’d argue that the size isn’t bigger because it looks really jarring. It doesn’t fit the game’s look if it’s 4x as large. The bigger meteors don’t really change any of the game mechanics or work around them, I’ve been switching between PC installs where some of them have mods installed, and it doesn’t change the way I play.

These aren’t mods, and I’m pretty sure the devs are against cheats like that. But they’re just rumours, I haven’t heard anything concrete that these are still possible, and used. Let’s keep mods separate from the memory readers and other cheats.

No, but you do have the choice. The devs aren’t stopping you. I don’t think the devs have any problem with modding on the PS4, why would they stop it on the PS4 and allow it on the PC. I’m simply saying I wouldn’t blame the devs for the modding disparity.

I’m ps4 user but traditionally been a pc user, made the decision a few years back to replace my aging pc with a laptop because of my daughter was born and wasn’t getting the same time to play but in that time it’s become frustrating with the lack of mods, loved them in all games I played so I understand there appeal but yeh with the potential of the pc master race getting another leg up cos of cross play I think they should be disallowed

2 Likes

You’re not the only one who has said that tho, so this is not just a reply to you but sjeesh, that’s so easy to say!

If things were better/easier/etc. on PS4 would you as a PC gamer play the game on PS4?

I doubt many will, also doubt every PC player has a PS4 at home as well, likewise not every PS4 player will have a capable PC to play the game on so it is not exactly a choice then I feel.

1 Like

So I don’t have the skills/build for this, I don’t have the equipment for this, if I join a hunt, will there be anything (That isn’t oort/gold/ores) for those who don’t make it to the landing site before the vultures claim 100% of it? If so, that’s just going to turn me off from this event just like when it launched this past spring.

1 Like

Nope, it’s not, this is a Wonderstruck thing. Something needs to be made to allow characters to be transferred…

No grass mods, better visible meteors in sky, seeing dormant meteors from a very long distance, etc., etc. all help give players get an advantage over anyone not using them…

Can anyone with the power move this discussion to a separate thread?

Gleambow racing is a genuinely fun event, I don’t want the announcement to get bogged down with this discussion?

@Stretchious I dunno if your they person for this?

3 Likes

Yes, I would. My point was that it’s not the devs that are disallowing mods on the ps4, they want mods in the game, but the console version is a bit gimped by sony’s environment. I feel it’d be bad direction to remove features from the game because one platform doesn’t support them.

The gameplay mechanics are the same on both platforms regardless of mods, you still have to go and collect the resources even if you do see them from further away. With enough money you can buy a beefy PC and turn the draw distance to the max so you see resources from further away, should the draw distance setting be limited artificially so it’s fair for the potato people?

I’ll stop here and wait if the thread is split, don’t want to make this topic a modding fight :smiley:

1 Like

Hi All! So as not to clog up the Gleambow Thread with modding and cross-platform talk I have split it out into its own topic so you can continue the convo! :blush:

4 Likes

Even tho I feel it’s correct to split them but to move this part of the thread to off-topic seems a little, ehmm, off…

Why not in the modding subcategory?

Since it’s mostly about mods, the only cross platform elements mentioned have to do with mods as well…

1 Like

I have changed the subcategory :blush:

3 Likes

So here is my take on the situation. Wonderstruck has encouraged mods as long as they don’t break certain rules. The problem is Sony themselves so if anyone is to blame it would be Sony since they are the ones that are disallowing it on boundless PS4. My suggestion would be to petition or complain to Sony how about this limitation being put on boundless PS4. As for the PC it would be totally unfair how to remove modding on the PC due to a policy that Sony has , not Wonderstruck