Mods discussion?

This is going to be blunt, so arms and feet inside the vehicle at all times or do not read the rest of this post.

Sorry mate, but i personally don’t acknowledge such things. the PC will typically always have things they can do that people who play on platforms that they have no control over can’t. We get our extra interactions, you get your aim auto assist and unfortunately I think the latter doesn’t even matter in a game like boundless. However believe it or not PS4 players have something that they can do that PC players can’t and that is fine. I am not complaining, and I don’t think I have seen a single person mention it lately.

If one is really concerned about having a „fair“ experience that is 100% level across the board, then a cross platform experience I do not think will make one happy. and this game isn’t even very competitive. and I personally don’t think devs should be lobotomizing parts of their game because of cross platform complaints.

In my book, Cross platform is designed to give access to a game that you may otherwise not ever have access to, it is not designed to make things 100% „fair“. There are a few things that I can do that the devs 100% cannot stop no matter what they try to do. Sorry but that is just how it is.

3 Likes

I mean, I understand where you are coming from. I just do not agree. Those are not examples that relate. We are talking about predefined values from the devs that are put in place for the rules of the game for even play.

If it is unfair to the play base it should not be modable or editable. Just because you have more knowledge about editing files doesnt mean I should have to go research it to get that information.

You are playing and adjusting the rules of the game. To your benefit. You are only defending the point because it gives you something more than the devs intended.

1 Like

If you want oort go chase meteors, I don’t get it. sheezus

2 Likes

Personally I don’t mod but I also dont want my experience reduced in order to make ps4 players happy. Cross platform does not mean equal platform.

1 Like

Dont get me wrong guys. I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from.

I guess I’m just siding with those that dont have that knowledge and shouldn’t have to have that knowledge to achieve the same thing.

If this is a mmo game where all rules are to be applied equally to its player base. Then those rules shouldn’t be changeable to give some an upper hand.

It’s not hunting vs not hunting. Oort vs no oort. It’s about the principle and standard we have for the game and uneven advantages that some have over others.

I dont totally understand it all, so please forgive my ignorance.

2 Likes

IT is possible to see time left on beacons it was in the game at one time before releass then taken out .Even had it so you could fuel othere players beacons. I was there and seen it.

i uses a mod that move the north south east west etc up should that not be allowed

1 Like

As has been mentioned before, it’s not a rule that says “Meteors must only be visible from x distance” otherwise that would be hardcoded, not in an easily editable text file. If the devs did not intend for us to have access to edit these values, they can, and certainly would take away that ability, the same as they removed bomb mining, and probably lots of other things. They certainly would not allow us to share the “how to” on their forums.
It does not give people an unfair upper hand, for a few reasons:

1. This is an MMO. We are a community, and we play together, PC or PS4, technophile or luddite, we’re all in it together. I have these “mods” active to help my group. It benefits 20-30+ people that I use them, a surprisingly high number of which are on PS4, and others who I am sure do not care to learn how to install Python or edit a json file, much like yourself.
  2. We share information! If you are on PC, and want to most commonly used “mods”, here you go: Mod Manager and Mod Collection
    If you need help with that, shout out. I’m sure Pfiffel would love to update the instructions if necessary to make this information as accessible to as many people as possible. Any number of other people would also love to help ad-hocly if you get stuck.

I know you keep saying my examples don’t relate, but they absolutely do.
One person never uses the forums, never uses Discord, never uses in-game chat. For whatever reason, they play completely and totally solo.
Another person goes out of their way to sponge up as much knowledge as they possibly can. They find forum guides, spreadsheets, YouTube videos and all sorts of other goodies that are freely available on the internet, but are not included in the game.

Is the second person cheating?
They absolutely do have an advantage. Thanks to Mayumichi (and others) I know that Norkyna is the best place for Amethyst, and thanks to OmniUno/nevir I know that they can be found from 0-20 altitude, with a sweet spot from 0-15, and also must be 5-60 blocks below ground level (preferably 10-30 below). This is just a very small portion of the additional information available to those of us that bother to go looking for it, that is not explicitly shared in-game. Does this mean that we are breaking the rules by using this info for our own personal gain, and sharing freely with the rest of the community so that everyone may gain from this info?

Are you saying that somebody that does not have this knowledge, and does not go looking for it, should be able to mine just as many amethyst as somebody that spends additional hours learning the mechanics of the game?

Should we all be forced to play solo? Should Boudnless become a single player game to prevent us teaming up and getting an unfair advantage over players that play solo by their own choice?
If you truly believe we are using these “mods” for our own personal gain, and that the advantage is not shared amongst the great Boundless community, and if you honestly feel that it’s cheating to edit a text file, you should probably go play tiddly winks, and leave video games alone. 2019 may not be the place for you.

1 Like

Just clarifying that everything you mod is client side only, you can’t mod game mechanics, visual stuff only.

not necessarily the big problem that even a pro modder myself will admit there is that the flood gates for the most part are open the game has checks in place to make sure you are not nocliping or speed hacking but there is no anti cheat(client side) so while yes you cant mod game mechanics you get ahold of server side data you necessarily should not have . things like packet sniffers to pull info that you would otherwise have no way of accessing. so for instance if say there was a stealth mob in the game that could go invisible till it attacked you based on what i played around with it would be 100% possible to make a mod to detect and alert you to them and where they are once they enter client render range

Yeah but that wouldn’t be the type of modding the devs support, you’d need external tools to accomplish it. What you’re describing is closer to hacking than modding.

1 Like

The lack of technical understanding by the average player, combined with the bleats of “unfairness” makes this a topic that won’t be solved via forums.

No consensus will be found because anyone who feels they are excluded will claim it is unfair.

Mods in mmos fall into roughly two categories in mmos. Cheats and quality of life improvements. Cheats are what folks usually have an issue with, and there is no debate here. An example is seeing through walls to see your enemy. No one will question that would be unacceptable in most games.

QOL improvements are where things are tough. Mapping, quest waypoints, recipes, etc have been added to games over the years with folks complaining that it is cheating. Every time a new good mod drops that integrates external functionality or otherwise enhances gameplay, there is a group that cannot help but complain.

This is the kind of information that might be available if you had a second screen, or a better computer to increase draw distance, etc. when something is perceived as offering an “unfair advantage” the first question I ask is “who is harmed?”. I’m this case, and the case of every other boundless mod/tool I’ve seen, like the exo bot, no one was harmed.

Seriously folks, this is a whole lot of complaints over not a single person getting hurt for functionality that should already be in the game.

3 Likes

ehhhhh

1 Like

Wrong person to say this to tho, I was merely correcting your statement…

You said that not knowing is not a valid reason for something to be unfair and I replied that PS4 players can NOT do such things suggesting there can be reasons that do make it unfair, nothing more, nothing less.

So no matter how I feel about such things, I do hope you realise that it does give an uneven playing field, heck it already does on PC alone since not everyone is handy enough to dive into such things (or even want to) but the fact that PS4 players can’t even if they wanted to DOES make it uneven for sure.

And yes, it’s impossible to stop everything, heck I probably can do a few more things that you can’t if I really wanted to, and yes, I do play mainly on PS4, but also play on PC so I can do all the stuff you can do and then some :wink:

Yes, those types of ‘hacks’ aren’t supported by vanilla modding.

Support, as in providing the paths we can go and modify them, no programmin reqired.

1 Like

Correcting what? I do not understand.

That is correct.

I stand my by statement as follows in regards to the fact that PS4 can’t tamper with the files.

because If you play on a platform that locks its users out of its own data, that is an expected side effect

This is not really a competitive game, and there is no real PvP in the game at this time, so whatever „unfair“ playing field you think this yields, I just honestly classify as „petty grievances“ as the results of the changes that can be made with the files is very minor.

2 Likes

My 2 cents…

Modding has it’s own section in the official forums. Devs are clearly OK with modding in the game though I am sure there are limits.

Have a PS4 and cannot mod Boundless? TOO BAD, BUY A PC if it is THAT important to you.

No offense but life is not always equal…

3 Likes

It’s not necessarily a technical limitation - Skyrim and Fallout 4 both did it on PS4 - but it is a MAJOR manpower problem. Zenimax has an entire team dedicated just to Bethesda console mods LOL

2 Likes

And then what? Start over? Since there is no character transfer…

Hopefully this will change tho…

If the roles were reversed I would be faced with the same choice…