Money printer goes brrrrrrr

Course there is plot money too since my needs will outstrip my cubits :wink:

2 Likes

The more I think on it, the more I think itā€™s not very much and I need to roll another planetā€¦ yah knowā€¦ to support them, not cause I have a sickness.

7 Likes

I would have assumed they only store it for as long as you paid plus 2 weeks?

What i understood every sovereign get stored For 2weeks after they delete the file.

1 Like

Yup, that 2 week storage space would essentially still cost them money to do, which then isnā€™t offset by any income.

Maybe they should look at sending notification emails when a world payment lapses, asking the renter if that world needs to be stored or if itā€™s a ā€œthrow-awayā€. That way they can cull the worlds that have no intention of being reinstated.

2 Likes

What they should do is the same thing they should do with gleam club. Auto renewal. Prevents us from losing our stuff and would give them a ton of additional money from people to lazy to cancel it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Was surpriced they added that 2 week Storing thereā€¦ Thats a bonus and more than fair.
I would e been ok withno Storingā€¦ But thats just meā€¦

Well, people with low income who canā€™t afford to pay rent (=fuel for the rental planet in this context) probably canā€™t for an entire month so I had hoped for a month of storing instead of two weeks.

Also would have preferred actual months and not 30 days since after a few payments the day of month shifts, ah wellā€¦

3 Likes

usually when you cant afford rent you dont buy stuff online, i know some will do even.

3 Likes

Even if you sometimes struggle with rent, youā€™re still a human and have to relax sometimes, even if your preferred relaxation costs money.

The point, though, is that if you live paycheck to paycheck, and you have a really tight month one month and canā€™t afford the fuel, your sovereign is gone forever.

3 Likes

I read this as afford to pay planet rent (fuel) ā€¦ not like apartment rent, but could be wrong. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Hypothetically, storing doesnā€™t HAVE to cost them a lot. Keep all the plotted deltas, delete the whole planet, just keep the seed parameters that go into generating the planet. Stick it on a hard drive instead of cloud (since this is cold storage, cloud access is not a priority). You could store for months at low cost for somone who needs it.

Wonderstruck could even send the person the file to store themselves, along with a checksum to make sure they donā€™t alter it.

but i think the planet stay up for 2 weeks but in ā€œstatusā€ mode where you cant do anything but reclaim beacons

1 Like

Yea I was just hypothesizing a possible longer-term storage which is even more limiting (no reclaiming beacons, no interaction at all, except to reinstate the planet when you are able to)

I donā€™t think Iā€™m responsible enough to store a whole planet. Iā€™ll just trust that WS has space in their cupboards for mine in case something screws up :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no real reason a world couldnā€™t be backed up to a USB drive indefinitely. I presume itā€™d have to be done manually though.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to point out that the servers cost money, aws isnā€™t cheap afaik. Their profit margin canā€™t be 100% :smiley:

7 Likes

Then it could be edited if it was stored by the player and that is an issue.

WS could retain just a checksum for the file to help ensure there is no tampering.

They could and that should work, but I still think we are better off not exposing an mmo universe to that type of risk.

2 Likes